Home > General & Technical (L663) > Engine failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Moo

Ukraine 
lightning wrote:
l reckon the owner put Adblue or screen wash in the engine by mistake

It would be milky and emulsified if they had. Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1043816 25th Aug 2024 9:53am
lightning

United Kingdom 
So, how COULD a modern diesel engine get into that state after only 20,000 miles. lt's absolutely full of solidified sludge.
Post #1043821 25th Aug 2024 11:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lightning wrote:
l reckon the owner put Adblue or screen wash in the engine by mistake

Something like that I reckon.
Post #1043823 25th Aug 2024 12:00pm
H1Tad

United States 
lightning wrote:
So, how COULD a modern diesel engine get into that state after only 20,000 miles. lt's absolutely full of solidified sludge.

Poor oil circulation or even piston blow by. If I was a betting man I'd say that blow by from diesel carbon contaminating thr oil. 2022 Defender 110 SE P400 Tasman Blue Expedition and Cold weather package
2003 Hummer H1 P400 Firehouse Red
2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Post #1043836 25th Aug 2024 4:29pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
lightning wrote:

It simply can’t … Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1043852 25th Aug 2024 7:27pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Interim oil change using wrong oil? Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1043856 25th Aug 2024 9:49pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am not sure using an incorrect oil specification could have such dire consequences. Unless you put lawn mower oil in it.
Post #1043857 25th Aug 2024 10:06pm
whiterdesign

United Kingdom 
Another video re this engine , watch from 6 mins. Looks like it’s not had a service at all in 3 years.
?si=_Jk_iN4rnb9IiiVz 110 XS 250 MY 23 Gondwana Stone, Cold climate pack and towbar
Post #1044168 28th Aug 2024 8:04pm
Jerry

2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Adventure Phoenix Orange
If this was dpf related/clogging & oil dilution from short journeys, wouldn’t it have gone into limp mode much earlier in its life (and had to go back to a dealer etc)?
Post #1044177 28th Aug 2024 9:07pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l am thinking it's condensation, from the engine doing short journeys and never fully heating up. The oil has emulsified?

Mine does a lot of short journeys but close together, so the engine is always hot. lf the vehicle was driven a few miles a couple of times every day, the engine would never get hot enough and you may get condensation inside.

To do 21,000 miles in three years the vehicle would have had to average 20 miles per day.
Post #1044196 29th Aug 2024 8:15am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I don't know what a modern oil looks like when emulsified but it doesn't look like a classic emulsified oil, and I doubt modern oils look that different. The bloke with the camera suggested that some kind of anti-knock thickener may have been added when the bearing knock became apparent, and that seems plausible to me.

The two guys seem to know their onions with engines and are clearly puzzled not just about how it has happened but also by what has happened to the oil. It also clearly, from what they are saying, isn't gritty or lumpy bet rather smooth like blancmange. I'd expect emulsified oil to be smooth and blancmange-like, but not that very black colour (in my experience it's always a colour from brown through to grey-white) but perhaps on a modern diesel it is blacker.

Repeated short journeys are extremely harmful to IC engines, which is of course why the very low mileage vehicle is usually not a good buy, but it is disturbing that an engine which is under the mileage limit for a its first service although over the age limit (although oil doesn't biodegrade so this really shouldn't be an issue) is in such a terrible state.

Since we don't actually know, even if we suspect, that something untoward happened to it, I suggest that this should be a warning to those here who only do very low mileages or regular very short journeys in their Defenders!
Post #1044203 29th Aug 2024 8:55am
lightning

United Kingdom 
Mine has done 15,000 miles of mainly short journeys. Although as l said, several short journeys every day so the engine stays hot.
lt does some longer journeys as well.

Anyhow, after reading about this engine failure l checked mine and it's like new inside with no deposits at all.

My old Defender TD5 had 90,000 miles of similar use. l had the cylinder head cover off a couple of times to change the injector harness and again, it was perfectly clean inside with no deposits at all. The oil was changed every 6,000 miles.
Post #1044235 29th Aug 2024 2:04pm
Landy240

United Kingdom 
Quote:
Repeated short journeys are extremely harmful to IC engines, which is of course why the very low mileage vehicle is usually not a good buy, but it is disturbing that an engine which is under the mileage limit for a its first service although over the age limit (although oil doesn't biodegrade so this really shouldn't be an issue) is in such a terrible state.

I wonder what effect the stop/start system has on engines as this kicks in whenever I pull up to a junction or traffic light - the engine temp doesn't have to be mid gauge either.

Also - what counts as a short journey? 1 mile? 20 miles but with 20 stop / start events? Does a long journey offset multiple short journeys?
Post #1044663 3rd Sep 2024 3:22pm
revd

United Kingdom 
lightning wrote:
Mine has done 15,000 miles of mainly short journeys. Although as l said, several short journeys every day so the engine stays hot.
lt does some longer journeys as well.

Anyhow, after reading about this engine failure l checked mine and it's like new inside with no deposits at all.

My old Defender TD5 had 90,000 miles of similar use. l had the cylinder head cover off a couple of times to change the injector harness and again, it was perfectly clean inside with no deposits at all. The oil was changed every 6,000 miles.

Head off or just the rocker cover?
Post #1044669 3rd Sep 2024 4:26pm
ruben

Spain 
I don’t understand why the S/S system is a problem, while it is off nothing happens, neither bad nor good, nothing…could the constant cold starting be a problem? I don’t think so, mine doesn’t start the S/S system until the engine is warm, so…talking to a friend who works at an official dealership, here the D’s that give constant problems, especially due to dilution and restricted performance are D5’s of the traffic police forces…they spend hours on road patrol in winter stopped and with the engine running to maintain acceptable temperature conditions inside the passenger compartment, and dilution problems, just to mention that they are all Ingenium 2.0 D with 4 pots!! Defender 110 SE I6 D 23MY
Post #1044671 3rd Sep 2024 4:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>