↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > My Defender > Parents 200 TDI
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
Very sorry to read that Procta.
I would not have been happy to pay that / would want money back / would be taking it back!

P.S. How do you even make the exhaust look like that?! BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #1043733 24th Aug 2024 9:42am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
Looks rushed, with the cheapest parts possible used. Can I ask the obvious question of why would you accept it back in that condition?
Post #1043785 24th Aug 2024 9:21pm
revd

United Kingdom 
over-length bolts are a joke- are they even the correct grade of steel?
(aero spec is one and half threads clear of the nut)

missing cross-member is criminal

looks like a case for trading standards
Post #1043793 24th Aug 2024 11:17pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
The extra threads for the shock brackets are only a problem when you need to undo them after corrosion starts setting in. The immediate problem is that they used undersized washers, and given how much thread is exposed, probably they are full thread bolts, which are inherently weaker. The smaller washers could allow the nut to be pulled through the chassis, although I don’t know what size crush tubes Richards use.

The exhaust is a joke. Could be a Discovery 1 exhaust (still a 200tdi)? Which would be their mistake at ordering?

The way the seat box is bolted to the tub…. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Was the seat box side replaced? I replaced mine with an aftermarket one, and it was all wrong, with missing pressing to allow where metal is doubled. Easy to correct on a small press, but takes extra time.

More of a problem is what you don’t see, and not what you see! 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1043809 25th Aug 2024 8:59am
jim4244

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
My thoughts

I would list all the bad workmanship and delays and send it to the owners of the garage and ask for a partial refund. If you get no joy then I would start a small claims court case against them. Sometimes just having County Court papers served on them will give them the kick up the backside they need to provide a refund.

Also report to your local Trading Standards.

For £27k you could have bought one of the last Defenders built with low mileage...

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Jim
Post #1043815 25th Aug 2024 9:39am
Procta

United Kingdom 
Retroanaconda wrote:
Looks rushed, with the cheapest parts possible used. Can I ask the obvious question of why would you accept it back in that condition?

only thing it was accepted back at the time, was that they were going away to scotland, with the caravan, on the friday that week. The parents only had the Thursday to pack, and test everything, they would have been a way the early hours of Friday morning.
Also My dad is far too quiet for his own good, and my mam wasn't around with her been at work. To keep a check on progress etc. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Success is 90% Inspiration and 4 minutes Preparation # you can make it!
Post #1043833 25th Aug 2024 4:11pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
revd wrote:
over-length bolts are a joke- are they even the correct grade of steel?
(aero spec is one and half threads clear of the nut)

missing cross-member is criminal

looks like a case for trading standards

God knows what bolts have been used, i am suspecting they just went to the local ability supplies and bought bags of nuts and bolts. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1043834 25th Aug 2024 4:15pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
Dinnu wrote:
The extra threads for the shock brackets are only a problem when you need to undo them after corrosion starts setting in. The immediate problem is that they used undersized washers, and given how much thread is exposed, probably they are full thread bolts, which are inherently weaker. The smaller washers could allow the nut to be pulled through the chassis, although I don’t know what size crush tubes Richards use.

The exhaust is a joke. Could be a Discovery 1 exhaust (still a 200tdi)? Which would be their mistake at ordering?

The way the seat box is bolted to the tub…. 🤦🏼‍♂️ Was the seat box side replaced? I replaced mine with an aftermarket one, and it was all wrong, with missing pressing to allow where metal is doubled. Easy to correct on a small press, but takes extra time.

More of a problem is what you don’t see, and not what you see!

We are suspecting that the seat box is someone else's, its not the one me and my dad rebuilt. We used YRM metals. I did look at the disco units as well as the 110s and they just match that at all. I am starting to suspect its a one that they have knocked up. Back box or silencer is practically under the driver seat.

Laugh was when it was leaking fuel, i said lets check the fuel lines, Sure enough, those were just hand tight, which would have worked lose. So god knows what else is done.
Washer side of things, when we put the driver side sill back together. I swopped the small washers they used. for the proper size ones. The floors are all bolted down too, so which again point to the cheap hardware. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1043838 25th Aug 2024 4:38pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
jim4244 wrote:
My thoughts

I would list all the bad workmanship and delays and send it to the owners of the garage and ask for a partial refund. If you get no joy then I would start a small claims court case against them. Sometimes just having County Court papers served on them will give them the kick up the backside they need to provide a refund.

Also report to your local Trading Standards.

For £27k you could have bought one of the last Defenders built with low mileage...

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money

Jim

Jim, things that they pointed out, were not even sorted till months later. Wiring been one of them, which to me, would should have been a replacement car loom if needed be, they drafted in some fella who faffs on with these. To finish this off, and do some wiring to it. Basically all the stuff that we could wire in our selves, heated window screen been one of them. Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1043839 25th Aug 2024 4:44pm
Procta

United Kingdom 
A little update on our Terr, My dad has started to get his arse back into action, and refit some of the parts,

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Those need rewiring in, as they just removed and chucked the loom, me and my dad bought. Rolling Eyes My dad is questioning the headlights, when you switch them over, from side lights to dip beam, nothing changes on the lights at all. They just look like they are on dip beam all the time, when its on side lights, you get a flicker when you click it over to dipped beam, but nothing happens to the lights. They wired in the ring into the side lights.

Also my dad has put in the chassis support back in place, that they left off. Rolling Eyes

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Another big milestone for them, They winged on at me for not getting them anything for their birthdays, But with BeaTie giving me a 1900 bill, i had to hang fire. Until I got my funds back up again. I was keeping my eye on the optimill remover able boss package that was for sale on here. The seller did have some interest, but no takers, so i thought yep i will have that. Thumbs Up

I asked the seller to address it to my parents, and a giggle that was. My mam messaging me, have you sent us a parcel?? When they opened it up and saw it. My mam was over the moon.
my dad was keen to put it on the car. but waited until they got the orange lock for it. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Defender TD5 90 ---/--- Peugeot 306 HDI hatch back

Post #1047106 28th Sep 2024 4:41pm
L110CDL

England 
All good with the progress Procta Thumbs Up 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #1047326 30th Sep 2024 8:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345