↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Battery dead - fob not sync/working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
greg1977

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
Battery dead - fob not sync/working
Hi All, Im new to this forum and to defender ownership !
I just bought a lovely 130 HCPU on Monday and stupidly knocked the switch of rear auxiliary lights on the roof a left it on all evening and the next morning - went today and was baffled as the fob would not open the door - then after a few checks realised the battery was dead !!! - tried to start the car it ticked over for a second and stopped - did this a few times with no hope! So after reading a few comments and forums etc realised the immobiliser is probably doing its job but now my fobs are not working - I bought a battery booster - but I might as well take that back as if every time the battery dies I cannot jump lead start it what’s the point !? Or I’m a missing something here? Whenever the battery dies you looses essentially the synced fobs ?
I’m charging the battery tonight and will connect up tomorrow but I’m worried this whole polava of trying to resynch isnt going to work!!?
Is worth getting remote keys to send a fob and programme ? Or this should work ?
Also having read about the EKA code - looked in my book they have the car key code but where it says EKA it’s 1A38 ?? I’m sure it states everywhere should be only digits?
On my spare keys there is also a a thin metal card with 4 digits on it in addition to another round metal card which has a different number relating the car key - could this be the EKA?
If anyone has experienced this and would care to shed some light as I’m out ideas if not!
Not a great start 5 days in !!
Cheers
Greg
Post #1041223 28th Jul 2024 11:10pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
The EKA code (Emergency Key Access) is four digits long (numbers only, no letters). Numbers from 1 to 9 only, no zero's. The EKA code is a unique stand alone code for emergency key access and is not shared with other functions such as radio etc. Defender 90XS SW
Mini Countryman Cooper S
Morgan Plus 8
Post #1041234 29th Jul 2024 8:20am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The EKA was never supplied as a tag on the keyring (this is probably the key number and/or possibly the radio code). The radio code could also often be found on a label in the vicinity of the battery when the vehicle left the factory.

The only ways I know the obtain the EKA are either to ask Land-Rover or else to interrogate the alarm ECU with a diagnostic tool in order to read the stored code. The former of course only works if the EKA code hasn't been changed, although it is rare that anyone changes the EKA code.
Post #1041239 29th Jul 2024 8:42am
greg1977

Yeah thanks for the replies - I thought as much - called JLR customer support and they will source me the number - need to send a copy of the V5 / ownership - before they send the code ! I will wait on that - but hopefully once I connect the battery hopefully it’s straight forward to desynchronise the immobiliser with the fobs and get back on the road!! Can’t believe my luck 5 days in ! Wife giving big stares already !
Thanks again!
Post #1041273 29th Jul 2024 2:43pm
greg1977

Apparently my code is 1A38 A = 10!! Hit the email from jaguar ! So confusing this 🤦‍♂️
Post #1041274 29th Jul 2024 2:50pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
It is some time since I had to use the EKA code, so may be wrong.
You only need the EKA code to open the car when the fob doesn't work and the battery in the car has charge. This prevents the alarm going off if you have a BBUs fitted.
If the fob doesn't work, then you can open the car with the key. If alarm fitted then the alarm may sound. Not certain at this stage if inserting the key into ignition cancels alarm.

It seems as though you opened the car using the key and had no alarm , so probably no BBus fitted, or BBus separate battery flat or failed.

Best to charge the battery off the car and change the battery in the fob.

When everything reconnected, then resync the fob to the car, usually by locking and unlocking 4 times.

f you have no BBus alarm, then don't think the EKa code is relevant to your problem.
Post #1041283 29th Jul 2024 5:30pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The process for using the EKA is well described in the owner's handbook, but I cannot find a PDF of the Puma version online. The image pasted below is from a 1997 handbook but the process hasn't changed.

Note that the EKA and the BBUS are not in any way related and that you will get loud noises from the vehicle throughout the process (hello neighbours!). In this respect the process is entirely different from the Disco2 process which is silent.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1041366 30th Jul 2024 12:49pm
greg1977

Cheers guys for the response ! - its a crazy mystery - so i had my controller and receiver checked and fobs and they are all working on a plugged system ! so its really odd that they didn't before removing them - it seems the eka or the unit had been changed in the pass as it has a different eka that the manufactures as seen on the PC - so will install tomorrow and give an update ! I'm tempted to just bypass the whole palaver and go back to the good old key in ignition and go!!
Thanks again for your help lads!
Installed the LOF light spring for the clutch whilst i was at it ! definitely lighter ! just a note !
Post #1041516 31st Jul 2024 9:43pm
greg1977

Update -
Installed the bypass pack from Ian ' remote keys' ( absolute Top bloke ! Has a huge amount of knowledge and very helpfully! ) but unfortunately nothing - ruled out the ignition , the immobiliser etc is been bypassed - so flashes when off once the key turns red light turns off so definitely working in that respect - all i get is a click - im lost with it checked all the fuses one was blown second one down yellow 20 far right row under the steering wheel fuse set - replaced it and nothing ! im starting to sense it may be a stuck starter now or bad earth with the battery - truth is the negative doesn't tighten snug slightly loose will have to get a sleeve for it as it does bolt on strong.......running out of ideas - may need to take it to a garage at this rate - any recommendation for Sussex area ?
once again many thanks for your replies and inputs - its really great to have all this support on here !
thanks greg
Post #1041597 1st Aug 2024 10:04pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
Check earth strap to chassis bolts for neg off battery and use a screw to get tight battery fit. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1041598 1st Aug 2024 10:15pm
greg1977

is it easy to find where it is bolted on ? i briefly looked under the truck couldn't see it clearly - i assume no difference to others 130 hcpu ? when you mean crew as in literally as screw from the top to give it that extra tightness - hmm didn't think of that one - was going to purchase these battery shims off amazon for a £5
thanks for your help !
greg
Post #1041602 1st Aug 2024 11:02pm
jst

The battery earth goes through the side of battery box to immediate earth point on chassis then continues to t box.

Check the middle-earth. Best to remove bolt there file/grind mating surfaces and refit with new bolt. If cable looks damaged or deteriorating then replace. I replaced mine with cable terminal to chassis and terminal to t box.

Can also fit different clamping style battery terminal at same time.

As interim screw a tec/woodscrew into gap to hold existing clp secure. Mindful of damaging the post.

As I found when out and about the sun visor screws work perfectly! Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1041617 2nd Aug 2024 6:43am
jst

Earth strap is same on 130. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1041618 2nd Aug 2024 6:43am
greg1977

Thanks for that ! Screw secured the negative well and cleaned / retightened earth screws so I can exclude those now , so it’s got to be the either the starter relay which I can’t find which it is as only diagram I can find on here is the 2.4 puma mine is the 2.2 and it’s totally different -
The starts solenoid- as the starter was perfect before my battery died !
Thanks again all!
Need a decent garage I think - not sure changing the solenoid or and starter is an easy job ?!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1041646 2nd Aug 2024 11:36am
MK

Chile 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Chawton White
As for changing the starter, it is defenetly a pain. Puma 110" SW

Earth first. Other planets later
Post #1041664 2nd Aug 2024 1:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>