↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Wheel Bearing Failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Jimbob292

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Zambezi Silver
Wheel Bearing Failure
Front near side wheel bearing, decided to give up, usual brake spongy feeling, then a shake, caught just in time before it really got hot. Mind you it welded the inner race to the stub axle.

Going to change the schedule on how frequent i check the wheel bearings now.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1031834 17th Apr 2024 11:30am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Typically you can hear an impeding failure (rumble), unless maybe your car is really noisy. For the cost difference get Timken bearings.

Good thing is parts are relatively cheap
Post #1031839 17th Apr 2024 11:49am
tom1979

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Re: Wheel Bearing Failure
Jimbob292 wrote:
Going to change the schedule on how frequent i check the wheel bearings now.

How often do you normally check them? I don't think many people bother at all! I try to make a point of jacking mine up twice a year to check them unless i can hear anything obvious.

I only use Timken or Koyo bearings. -------------
Defender 90 Td5
Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
Discovery 2 Td5 Auto
Range Rover Classic 300Tdi Bobtail
Ranger Rover L322 M57
(and more- yes I have a problem!)
Post #1036603 5th Jun 2024 8:59pm
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Mine were just replaced to get through the MOT. Just glad my wife isn't on this forum!
Post #1036638 6th Jun 2024 8:56am
Zimblewinder

Australia 2000 Defender 130 2.5 TD HCPU Chawton White
I touch my hubs on the outside after my regular drive home from work once a week. Also on a break on any extended trip. They are usually just warm to touch, whereas the one time I had a bearing I wasn't happy with it was touch hot and I changed it out the next day.
Post #1036648 6th Jun 2024 9:45am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
AMBxx wrote:
Mine were just replaced to get through the MOT. Just glad my wife isn't on this forum!

No disrespect but how bad do bearings need to be for it to fair MOT. Normally its a gradual process of them getting nosier until maybe one day a complete failure and collapse. Any play can be adjusted out.

Surely the MOT man is not going to condemn the front bearings for being just a bit noisy?
Post #1036650 6th Jun 2024 10:23am
tom1979

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
TexasRover wrote:
AMBxx wrote:

No disrespect but how bad do bearings need to be for it to fair MOT. Normally its a gradual process of them getting nosier until maybe one day a complete failure and collapse. Any play can be adjusted out.

Surely the MOT man is not going to condemn the front bearings for being just a bit noisy?

Normally a few mm of movement would be an advisory but anything more would fail. Have seen some pretty bad bearings that people were driving around oblivious with! -------------
Defender 90 Td5
Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
Discovery 2 Td5 Auto
Range Rover Classic 300Tdi Bobtail
Ranger Rover L322 M57
(and more- yes I have a problem!)
Post #1036654 6th Jun 2024 11:13am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The MoT tester should check the wheel-bearings by rocking the wheel in the 12/6 and 3/9 o'clock positions, and by spinning the hub with the wheel raised. The vehicle will fail if there is (in the tester's judgement) excessive play, binding, roughness, looseness, end float, or anything else which concerns him.

A properly adjusted hub with bearings in good condition will rotate freely with complete smoothness, and will have negligible (or absolutely minimal) perceptible play when the wheel is rocked.

Clearly there are other things (such as the brakes and the swivels) which can makes the test more confusing by creating similar symptoms to worn bearings.

I tend periodically to rock the vehicle (when parked) hard from side to side using the top of wheel on each of the four wheels, since this will almost always reveal any play wheel-bearings in a matter of seconds without any tools or need for jacking. If there is any movement or clunking it should be investigated without delay. In addition after a journey of any distance I check the temperature of the hub/wheel centre with the back of my hand. As noted above, an excessively hot hub is indicative of bearing or brake faults and should be investigated.

It is very rare that a wheel-bearing will change from being asymptomatic to failing catastrophically in the course of a single journey.
Post #1036661 6th Jun 2024 11:56am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
TexasRover wrote:
AMBxx wrote:

It was the rear bearings (if that makes any difference). Failed on one, the other was advisory, so replaced at the same time. There hadn't previously been any mention of a problem. Serviced earlier this year.
Post #1036742 7th Jun 2024 6:26am
Chris86

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 110 Td5 USW Chawton White
blackwolf wrote:

It is very rare that a wheel-bearing will change from being asymptomatic to failing catastrophically in the course of a single journey.

Have had a wheel bearing catastrophic failure with no prior symptoms once, to this day I have no idea what the mechanism of failure was.

Vehicle was a work Defender 110, it had been serviced/inspected the previous week by the company that looked after the vehicles, then in addition we had swapped the wheels over to a different set and I'd done the usual, wiggle/rotate type tests described whilst it was in the air.

Had been driving around doing an estate tour for some tourists at low speed all day, drove out of the estate gate, and got about 200m down the road, got a bit of a grumbling noise, so reduced speed and limped it about another 300m to a safe place to stop, initially thought it was something wedged in the brake dust shield or caliper so had a look and spotted the brake disc was interfacing the caliper..........

The inner of the 2 bearings had collapsed fairly catastrophically, and upon stripping down had managed to weld itself to the stub axle.

Have had them give warning and go quite quickly after, one of the 4x4 centres I worked at didn't really hibernate the vehicles very well when lockdown happened and of the 12 wheel bearings I replaced 7 or 8 within a month of reopening where I assume they had suffered with water ingress and then corrosion when stood for extended periods of time.

Chris
Post #1036812 7th Jun 2024 11:18pm
sako243

Wales 1994 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
It may be worth investing in some of the Ashcroft (other brands available) drive flanges. Since I put mine on nearly 10 years ago when I rebuilt the axles with pegged lockers I've never had to change the bearings. Occasionally I check them and everything is fine. Vehicle has done about 150k miles since then. There's a weep from the inner oil seal which means some oil from the rear axle gets into the hub but this also helps. Never repacked them with grease either.

Prior to the Ashcroft flanges I was doing wheel bearings every 30k-50k due to water and dirt ingress through those crappy plastic caps. Ed
82 Hotspur Sandringham 6x6
95 Defender 110 300Tdi
Post #1036828 8th Jun 2024 9:30am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1