↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Modifications & Maintenance (L663) > Deployable tow bar retro
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Looneyfitter

Deployable tow bar retro
Has anyone tried to fit deployable tow bar? I know what modules, wiring etc is needed but LR lists 2 seperate deployable bars. One for air and one for spring suspension.

I have air but I've got my hands on a deployable for springs setup.

Just wondering if anyone actually knows what the difference is, if any before I take. My car apart. I have a MY24 d250 xs edition. Many thanks.
Post #1032200 20th Apr 2024 2:38am
Moo

Ukraine 
I'd go fixed. All my mates who have ever had deplorable tow bars have all had trouble. Had mine fitted for £673 all in including electrics. Thumbs Up

https://www.towbars-uk.co.uk Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1032208 20th Apr 2024 9:13am
Ritson

France 
Moo,

I have to disagree. I selected the deployable tow bar and advanced tow package and I have to say its one of the best accessories I selected. No more battered shins when walking round the back of the car! I've had mine for over 2 years and haven't had a single issue with it and I use it every week. The inbuilt weight sensor is really useful for checking nose weight of the caravan before heading off, the camera view with the travel line for the tow ball and superimposed spot for the ball make revering and hitching on by myself a doddle, no need to keep getting out to check if the ball is in the right place under the hitch.

If you regularly tow then it really is worth the money Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #1032210 20th Apr 2024 9:28am
Looneyfitter

I had deployable on my D5 it was brilliant.
Post #1032229 20th Apr 2024 1:41pm
Wiggs

United Kingdom 
Ritson wrote:
Moo,

I have to disagree. I selected the deployable tow bar and advanced tow package and I have to say its one of the best accessories I selected. No more battered shins when walking round the back of the car! I've had mine for over 2 years and haven't had a single issue with it and I use it every week. The inbuilt weight sensor is really useful for checking nose weight of the caravan before heading off, the camera view with the travel line for the tow ball and superimposed spot for the ball make revering and hitching on by myself a doddle, no need to keep getting out to check if the ball is in the right place under the hitch.

If you regularly tow then it really is worth the money

Have you got a picture of the screen with inbuilt weight sensor by any chance ?

And can you deploy it / check lights from inside the car ? Or just the boot .. thanks
Post #1032439 22nd Apr 2024 7:17pm
Ritson

France 
Wiggs

You can retract and deploy the tow bar from the Pivi screen. Not sure if you can check lights from there too, I've only ever used the button in the boot.

I'll post photo of weighing screen once I'm back from holiday ad the car is at home. However, its nothing flash, it just tells you an approximate weight within about 10kg of accuracy, which is accurate enough for a caravan loading

Cheers Current: MY22 P400e SE
Prior: Discovery Sport HSE, Jaguar F-Type S, Discovery 3, RR Vogue
Post #1032442 22nd Apr 2024 7:39pm
Wiggs

United Kingdom 
Thanks ., that would be great

Enjoy your holidays 👍
Post #1032459 22nd Apr 2024 8:47pm
Moo

Ukraine 
Ritson wrote:
Moo,

If you regularly tow then it really is worth the money

I tow regularly hence my preference for fixed. One of my mates has a new X5 with a deployable tow bar, it's been stuck at a jaunty angle for the past few months waiting for BMW to fix it, hence why he borrows my car. My other mate has a new Defender 110 with a tow bar that refuses to deploy and in a previous life I had a BMW 5 series company car that was just so problematic deploying its tow bar that I just gave up and used my old D3.

I'm sure they are great for for some but based on mine and my mates experience, it's fixed for me. Thumbs Up Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1032484 23rd Apr 2024 12:23am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I don’t think there is any difference in the towbar itself, they all mount to the chassis in the same way. I would guess that the difference is in the wiring looms perhaps?

I’ve just taken my removable towbar off and replaced it with a fixed one - I prefer a fixed towbar and it also means I can adjust the coupling height for different trailers. The standard deployable/removeable bars set it a fraction low for my taste.

It’s quite the operation!

Click image to enlarge
Post #1033063 27th Apr 2024 6:18pm
Looneyfitter

Are you on air or springs mate? Could you send a pic of the mounting parts on the tow bar and the bar itself?

I'm thinking same as you. Can't see why won't fit. I've ordered the correct wiring to go with it.

Cheers.
Post #1033067 27th Apr 2024 6:41pm
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
I’m on air suspension.

Here’s the towbar I bought, it’s a PCT one but is very similar in design to the LR multi-height fixed one.

Click image to enlarge

These fitting instructions (for the LR bars) are quite useful and show how they all fix. Basically each side has four bolts into the end of the chassis rails, and four up from underneath. The latter require the exhaust and adblue tank to be lowered for clearance.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....r/G2422814

If you want some photos of the old towbar where it fixes to the car I can get some tomorrow.
Post #1033070 27th Apr 2024 6:57pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
I have the deployable tow bar…I wish I hadn’t.

It’s a lottery as to whether it will correctly deploy Big Cry
4 out of 5 times it just won’t lock in and puts itself away.

Of course it’s been back to the dealer..3 times I’ve been told it’s fixed.

I now leave it out more than not..just so I know it’s there when I want.
My mate bought his car a year after me and he has the same issue.

Clemmo Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1033071 27th Apr 2024 7:06pm
Looneyfitter

Retroanaconda wrote:
I’m on air suspension.

Here’s the towbar I bought, it’s a PCT one but is very similar in design to the LR multi-height fixed one.

Click image to enlarge

These fitting instructions (for the LR bars) are quite useful and show how they all fix. Basically each side has four bolts into the end of the chassis rails, and four up from underneath. The latter require the exhaust and adblue tank to be lowered for clearance.

http://accessories-instructions.landrover....r/G2422814

If you want some photos of the old towbar where it fixes to the car I can get some tomorrow.

Thanks mate. It's the bit that slots into the chassis Im worried Bout. Tbh I tow so little weight Im thinking if it doesn't fit I'll cut the bit that slots in and use the 8 face bolts. Prob overkill anyway
Post #1033088 28th Apr 2024 1:27am
Looneyfitter

Clemmo wrote:
I have the deployable tow bar…I wish I hadn’t.

It’s a lottery as to whether it will correctly deploy Big Cry
4 out of 5 times it just won’t lock in and puts itself away.

Of course it’s been back to the dealer..3 times I’ve been told it’s fixed.

I now leave it out more than not..just so I know it’s there when I want.
My mate bought his car a year after me and he has the same issue.

Clemmo
. Hoping yours is a 1 off matey D5 one was brilliant
Post #1033089 28th Apr 2024 1:28am
Retroanaconda

Scotland 
This is the bit that goes into the end of the chassis rail. You can see the three open holes in a triangular pattern and then one threaded one at the end, they are the four vertical bolts.

I would not omit them - it will affect the strength massively as these bits resist the loading of the hitch and the turning moment on the bar due to the drop. Dropping the exhaust and adblue tank is not difficult, neither need to be removed - just lowered enough to get the long bolts out.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1033130 28th Apr 2024 11:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>