↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Wheels & Tyres (L663) > Beware bargain wheels and tyres!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Beware bargain wheels and tyres!
They've more often than not had the TPMS sensors removed for the seller's new wheels. lt's impossible to tell by looking at the wheels, because you only have to break the tyre bead on one side to remove the sensor from the valve.

Fortunately the wheel balance doesn't seem to be affected, (well
it wasn't on the wheels l bought anyway) the sensors likely don't weigh much.

To buy and fit new sensors will cost you around £200. Unless you can remove them from your existing wheels.
But be sure to mention it in the advert when you sell them!! Most sellers on Ebay don't.

The wheels can of course be used without TPMS sensors but the vehicle will come up with a TPMS error (obviously)
And it won't pass an MOT.

Just be aware that five new "take off" wheels with tyres might be a bargain price but you may need to budget an extra £200.

Also once the TPMS error appears on the dash (flashing light for 90 seconds followed by light on continuously) l am not sure it will clear when you fit sensors.
On mine l had to use the GAP tool to reset it before it would recognise new sensors and the warning light disappeared.

NOTE
lf you fit wheels with no TPMS sensors it will seem
okay at first because the system will display the last known values (from the wheels you took off) lt takes about 30 minutes of driving for the system to figure out that it's not getting any data, and then the warning light will start to flash.
Post #1033026 27th Apr 2024 10:05am
steam_simon

I agree! I bought a bargain set of 4 wheels and AT tyres knowingly without TPMS, and fitted aftermarket TPMS valves at £25 each. They work well. I didn’t have to do anything other than drive for about 15 minutes.

My view is that anyone who sells “genuine new Defender” wheels and tyres without TPMS is being economical with truth.

You can still get bargains, but budget for the TPMS valves.
Post #1033118 28th Apr 2024 9:21am
lightning

United Kingdom 
When buying on Ebay or similar, ask if the sensors are fitted.

Then you've got some comeback if told yes and it turns out they aren't. l made the mistake of not asking, and assuming that "taken off a new Defender" meant they were complete with sensors.

ln my experience "l don't know" from an Ebay seller almost always means "no"
For instance "untested" means "doesn't work"

Last edited by lightning on 29th Apr 2024 12:51pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1033152 28th Apr 2024 2:17pm
zilch

Australia 
steam_simon wrote:
My view is that anyone who sells “genuine new Defender” wheels and tyres without TPMS is being economical with truth.

You can still get bargains, but budget for the TPMS valves.

Sellers should state they have retained the TPMS and only standard valves are fitted, that should
suffice. I sold the 5 x 19” gloss black on our P400 when we did the rear caliper conversion and fitted
18”, the tyre company suggested to transfer the TPMS over to the 18” which we went with.. I
advertised as such when we sold them .. it saved a few hundred bucks on a very expensive 18”
conversion process yet another pommie bar steward down under

MY20 110 P400 SE Defender
MY10 3.0 RR Sport
Post #1033212 29th Apr 2024 8:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1