↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Early Life Oil Changes?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 4 <1234>
Print this entire topic · 
scotty38

England 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Aintree Green
rossy wrote:
scotty38 wrote:
Would doing this affect your warranty at all, particularly if you use a filter that is obviously not OE (irresepective of whether it's better or not)?

No because at service time the old oil filter will be just a filthy black gungy thing that will be thrown away and all car manufacturers know that established companies like Coopers or Fram (as Martin says) produce filters to the highest standards - they just don't add the ridiculously high mark up that OE branded products often have. Once the basic specs are met the biggest variable in every car part designated for OE branding (when motor manufacturers' buyers go shopping around component manufacturers) is always price - every time. See how Toyota recently came a cropper when they bought less than perfect accellerator components because they were cheap. Whether its a good or bad thing today price is king

Hear what you're saying but is that opinion or fact? I can just imagine the conversation about a warranty claim after having "done it yourself".

By the way I'm not disputing the benefits of doing this I just find it hard to imagine it wouldn't cause you problems if you were "found out".
Post #97590 1st Nov 2011 9:09pm
stevie d

United Kingdom 2003 Defender 90 Td5 SW Alpine White
Use a genuine filter then can't be found out..

Steve Thumbs Up Defender 90 TD5 Station Wagon
Discovery 3 HSE
BMW 330i Coupe
Post #97632 1st Nov 2011 11:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
BigMike

United Kingdom 
scotty38 wrote:
Would doing this affect your warranty at all, particularly if you use a filter that is obviously not OE (irresepective of whether it's better or not)?

If you use a non-LR filter and there was an engine issue which caused LR to look at it, then yes, absolutely it would affect your warranty and they would say "see you later, not our problem". For the saving you make on a cheap filter it's just not worth the risk. If you have a major issue with any part of the vehicle and have not used genuine LR parts, they WILL use it as a reason not to honour a warranty.
Post #97634 2nd Nov 2011 12:13am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
I agree. Just done an early-life oil change myself. I have done this with most vehicles I have bought.

To save the manufacturer wriggling out of a warranty claim I would always use manufacturer's-branded oil filter, and recommended oil.

For the Land Rover, that was a LR filter (from my local dealer) and Castrol engine oil with the "A1" branding. I also ensured that the paint mark on the oil drain plug lined-up when I had finished.

For the sake of a couple of quid, why risk anything else?

see http://www.landrover.com/gb/en/lr/owners/s...ine-parts/

Also:
Quote:
Vehicle warranty

The vehicle warranty does not cover items that are subject to adjustment or replacement during normal service or maintenance operations. In addition, Land Rover is not responsible for any repair or replacement that is required as a direct result of:

- Normal wear and tear

- Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Land Rover's maintenance schedules and service instructions

- Refilling or topping-up with incorrect fuel, e.g. petrol used instead of diesel

- Failure to use Land Rover specified parts or fluids (or parts of equivalent quality)

- Damage resulting from neglect, accident, or improper use

- Unauthorised modifications of the vehicle or parts (modifications outside of Land Rover specifications).

IMHO it's highly likely LR (or any manufacturer) would wriggle out of a warranty claim if non-approved parts were used. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #97895 3rd Nov 2011 2:38pm
rossy

Ireland 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Stornoway Grey
scotty38 wrote:
rossy wrote:
scotty38 wrote:

No because at service time the old oil filter will be just a filthy black gungy thing that will be thrown away and all car manufacturers know that established companies like Coopers or Fram (as Martin says) produce filters to the highest standards - they just don't add the ridiculously high mark up that OE branded products often have. Once the basic specs are met the biggest variable in every car part designated for OE branding (when motor manufacturers' buyers go shopping around component manufacturers) is always price - every time. See how Toyota recently came a cropper when they bought less than perfect accellerator components because they were cheap. Whether its a good or bad thing today price is king

Hear what you're saying but is that opinion or fact? I can just imagine the conversation about a warranty claim after having "done it yourself".

Abit of opinion and fact actually Scotty !
Fact in the sense possibly that my mate is a senior engineer at Ford and tells me the business stuff - saving pennies, bottom line importance etc and opinion in the sense that I'm 50 miles from my LR dealer and having been reassured that those filter companies products meet highest standards and are available locally thats what I buy. By the time my 110 is due its first service I will have already have changed the oil twice and as I intend to keep it for good I tend to think beyond the warranty. I also really begrudge paying top dollar for an LR service when I know I can do the basic fluids filters etc better myself (from what I've read on the forum concerning dealer dissatisfaction) and for a lot less. JLR dealer premises are fancy places and I suppose something has to pay for the bean to cup coffee machines etc.
But thats the problem with warranties and dealer servicing. They have you by the short and curlies in that regard. I wouldn't mind if they did everything by the book and had 'technicians' who knew Defenders but most of the time it seems they don't. Before I bought new I was amazed at used dealer serviced examples with dry props unnattended fluid leaks etc so a dealer service is an expensive grudge purchase of the highest order in my opinion.
Having said that my first service will be due in June -ish and as I will be changing the oil again in February- ish it may be wise to use a genuine filter for that ! One things for sure I'll be handing them 7 litres of my cheaply purchased Magnatec to use so that I don't see something stupid like £20 per litre on the parts bit of the invoice and after 3 years its off to my local Indy for the oily bits that I'm not able to do !

By the way I'm not disputing the benefits of doing this I just find it hard to imagine it wouldn't cause you problems if you were "found out".
Post #97930 3rd Nov 2011 6:19pm
rossy

oops sorry I Censored up the quote process on that post and don't know how to fix it so it looks a mess Sad
Post #97931 3rd Nov 2011 6:25pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
I took delivery of mine in August, as soon as I get round to it I’ll change the oil with some GBP 17.50 Magnatec, but I’d already anticipated an interim oil change by buying an LLRO30778 filter from the Main Stealer.

Even at full retail price of twelve quid, why would anyone use a non-original (cheaper?) part on such an expensive vehicle and risk possible warranty issues?

Peter
Post #97932 3rd Nov 2011 6:35pm
rossy

only because in my case its a 3 hour round trip to get one !
Post #97935 3rd Nov 2011 6:39pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
rossy wrote:
only because in my case its a 3 hour round trip to get one !

don't you have postmen in Ireland?
Post #97955 3rd Nov 2011 8:02pm
rossy

Laughing yes but LR dealers wouldn't be accustomed to posting parts out so they would probably send it in a Jiffy bag or whatever was handy and it could turn up damaged or a bit squashed - oil filters are quite fragile and the paper element can become undetectably deatatched - until you see the leak when its too late !
Post #98017 4th Nov 2011 9:19am
spudfan

Ireland 
Had a look at a Halfords filter for the Puma recently. It is made by Coopers who are a very reputable outfit. If you used one of these filters and there was an engine problem and Land Rover blamed it on the non-genuine Coopers filter I could not see Mr Cooper being too happy with that. Neither would Mr. Halford for that matter. So you would be in good company with Mr. Cooper and Mr. Halford on your side. Could not see Land Rover taking them both on. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #100753 18th Nov 2011 5:43pm
robpenrose

United Kingdom 
I could see LR just saying its not covered because its not genuine.

Nothing to do with the quality of the filters.

Im sure they would stick by their rules. I cant see Coopers or Halfords helping you when LR have just said its not genuine so we wont cover it. Current:D4 HSE
Gone: BMW Z4MC
Gone: Defender TD5 90 CSW
Previous: Discovery TD5 ES (Gone)
Post #100754 18th Nov 2011 5:46pm
spudfan

Ireland 
Surely the whole point of Coopers selling you an oil filter is that it will do the same job as the badged origional? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #100760 18th Nov 2011 6:32pm
spudfan

Ireland 
I did post elsewhere how an independent did an early oil change on my 2008 Puma and used a Britpart oilfilter. This leaked so I got him to change it, This also leaked. The third one fitted was a genuine Land Rover one which did not leak. Who makes the Britpart filters I wonder? Then again the "O" ring supplied might not have been of the best quality but the filter could have been O.K.
I would regard Coopers or Fram as perfectly acceptable choices if travelling abroad and no genuine filter available. I have used Fram and Coopers filters in the 200 tdi with no ill effects what so ever.
I remember someone writing to a well known filter manufacturer-the old days-regarding their products and suitability for his Defender. They stated that their products were every bit as good as the genuine article and they fully stood over them.They would have no bother honouring any claims that would arise should their product be at fault.They would have no bother having any supposedly faulty product being examined by a reputable and qualified third party.He kept the letter, used their filters and never had any bother.
Funnily enough when he was talking to a Land Rover service manager about something else he mentioned the filter business. The service manager naturally pooh poohed the non genuine filter and talked all gloom and doom. When asked to put it in writing stating that the particular filter was not up to the job the service manager declined. When my friend actually phoned customer services at the filter company and handed the phone to the service manager he just ran. My friend just asked the customer service to give him a catalogue number for a replacement filter, which they did.I still cannot see Land Rover putting it in writing that your engine failed because the Fram filter or Coopers filter was a piece of s***t. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
Post #100773 18th Nov 2011 7:39pm
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
I have gone to LR for all my servicing..... and it has cost me the best part of £500 for the first and second service. If nothing broke on my Defender then I could say that was £500 wasted, but at the start of this week the differential lock selector decided to try and escape through the side housing of the transfer box- because I had 2 stamps in my service book the kind Cypriot on the end of the phone said "No problem Mr Glyn, because you have stamps we have new box on way".....if I didn't have those stamps I would be looking at a bill of over £3,000 to have the work done, or about £1000 for parts and doing it myself.

Try this on for size:

if you change your filter twice a year

Genuine @£12 a pop..... that is £72 over a 3 year period
Alternative @£7 a pop..... that is £42 over a 3 year period

That means you save £30 over 3 years...£10 a year, or 83p a month.....

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #100788 18th Nov 2011 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 4 <1234>