↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Help with changing SVX grille back to original style please!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
tristanpowter

Help with changing SVX grille back to original style please!
Hi bit of advice needed please ! Removing the horrible glossy SVX grille that my Puma has had fitted at some stage to a more traditional style grille. Something is missing, including the radiator surround but cannot figure out where this should fix too ? Photos below. I’m aware I need to remove the headlight brackets to sit the lights back to where they would have been but (other than the grille surround) is there anything else I will need please ? Many thanks 😊
Post #1006918 8th Sep 2023 4:40pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
The photo's are missing Sad
Post #1006922 8th Sep 2023 5:07pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Cunningly hidden in his gallery (the first place to look) and reproduced below.

I applaud your decision to remove the hideous grill and replace it with a normal one, whic hwill look much better. You will need the panel to fill the gap, the grill, and the light surrounds. The bracket/plate things between the headlights and wings need to be removed, and I think the headlingths can then be fitted directly in the right place in the wings. I am sure that there will be others along soon who will know exactly what you need to source. You can probably sell the grill and bits you remove to cover the costs of putting you vehicle right, bizarrely there are some who seem to like the ugly front!

Once you've uploaded a photo to your gallery, select the link in the box labelled BBCode and paste the link in your message.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1006926 8th Sep 2023 5:31pm
the_lincs_landies

United Kingdom 
Thanks BW. work PC blocked accessing Gallery for some reason maybe the hotmail bit in the users name).

blackwolf wrote:
I applaud your decision to remove the hideous grill and replace it with a normal one, which will look much better.

Agreed, I dislike the SVX frontend even more than I disliked the KBX one that my defender came with...

@Tristan - does this help at all? Has the exploded view of all fixings etc for the Grille and the Grille Surround Panel - https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...ille_44847
Post #1006930 8th Sep 2023 5:39pm
tristanpowter

Fantastic thanks guys - sorry didn’t realise photos were hidden - will take a look at diagram
Post #1006938 8th Sep 2023 7:22pm
blackwolf

They weren't hidden, they just were not in the post. Anyone can see the photos in your gallery (unless they are surfing from work and big brother has blocked access).

It is however always worth putting the photo you are asking about in the post.
Post #1006941 8th Sep 2023 7:54pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Yeah I removed that too did not know it was called SVX. Ugly

You might be missing the two clips left and right. The grill slides over them and then you screw it down from the side.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Just about visible in these pictures I had lying around
Post #1006950 8th Sep 2023 8:57pm
blackwolf

Texas, I think those may only be fitted on vehicles with aircon, which the OP's does not appear to have.
Post #1006952 8th Sep 2023 9:03pm
JPE

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Firenze Red
The diagram here at LRWorkshop might help.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/diagrams/land-r...ille_44847
Post #1007050 9th Sep 2023 10:47pm
tristanpowter

Thanks - yes posted above , does show a lot of bolts / brackets which I can’t seem to locate positions for. I’ve a feeling some models are slightly different in how the rad surround attaches but what I can see is - 4 screws along top, 1 x bolt each side to attach rad surround. Going to hope I can’t do it without all the brackets shown in the diagram!

A lot more expense than I’d planned just to remove a tacky aftermarket grill but no doubt it will look so much better !

Click image to enlarge
Post #1007071 10th Sep 2023 7:52am
NickMc

Northern Ireland 2006 Defender 90 Td5 HT Bonatti Grey
Some people like the parts you’ve removed if genuine are quite sought after if you try the for sale section on here or that popular auction site Thumbs Up

All the bits are there to refit standard from the looks of things to me except the parts to accept the screws for the indicators and side lights, they’re the same as the four that are in the top of the grille RTC3745 you’d need 8 of them.

Just loosen the top bolts for the slam panel and slip the new grille in, yours is a late model so you might only have to do the outer if the replacement centre panel has slots.

The lower bolts just screw out, don’t go too hard at them as the captive plates can break if rusty on the ends of the threads, a bit of WD-40 on the back of the threads will help.

The two cable ties either side will have to come off as that’s where the grille panel slides in.
Post #1007135 10th Sep 2023 7:32pm
tristanpowter

Thanks Nick, made progress today just waiting for the radiator surround for grill to go in.

Found some extra wiring, seen in the crossover in photo, (obviously required for the SVX grille side lights) not sure what this was as I’ve wired up new LED side lights without needing this.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1007139 10th Sep 2023 7:44pm
tristanpowter

Just in case it’s useful to anyone else doing this job ( I’m sure many of you already know this but for those who don’t) I discovered there are 2 x variations of the Grille Surround (as opposed to the grille itself) requiring 2 slightly different fixing methods for attaching the Grille. The NON air con version which sits flatter against the body and the air con version which stands slightly proud and seems to be the norm on most defenders that have been altered or added to (even if they do not have ac). I found it hard to source the original non ac grille and eventually luckily stumbled across a used one in the correct paint code which 8m waiting on. The surround also needs to be body colour matched so my plan was to spray it back to LR907. Hope that may help someone in future doing this job!

Thanks above for all the pointers will post a picture of the final finished version soon.
Post #1007557 14th Sep 2023 8:02am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Thanks, yes please post some pictures once you are done.

Having done the same, but mine was an even uglier Chinese aftermarket contraption, I found the grill surround in mat black plastic perfectly acceptable to remain unpainted. I have a white with black car so it fits. I had planned to paint it white, still might do but not very high on the priority list. Painting plastic however is not that hard as long as you use the correct primer.

Also I put my old SVX lookalika grill on the local ebay equivalent and amazingly it sold for decent money. Plenty of people out there willing to vandalism their cars.
Post #1007559 14th Sep 2023 8:27am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
I like the AC grille surround both aesthetically and functionally.
With functionally I mean you do not need to take out the grille from its surround to access the intercooler /radiator. Just 2 large self tapping screws on its lower side and the 4x smaller screws on the slam panel.
Aesthetically makes the Defender look a bit more bolder. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1007560 14th Sep 2023 8:38am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>