Home > Td5 > Steering fun
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
Steering fun
Hi,

Got a steering problem. It is on a 2004 Td5 90.

Feels like there is no power steering, then as you heave the wheel round, suddenly you get power steering back. Very. Interesting to drive. No noise, no other symptoms, belt still on, no alternator light, no obvious oil leak, fluid still at correct level.

Any ideas, pump? Steering box?

What else should I check.

Thanks for reading
Andy
Post #100666 18th Nov 2011 7:54am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
From the symptoms I would have thought that it is unlikely to be the pump and more likely to be the valves in the steering box. First off I would bleed the system (since it is cheap and simple to do) and if that achieved nothing, change the box.

Be advised that I had some very bad experiences with Genuine Parts steering boxes on my Disco 2 - the original box lasted over 130k miles then developed a small leak. Foolishly I had the box replaced during a service, the replacement lasted less than a month, replaced under warranty, replacement lasted until 1 week out of warranty. Turns out (apparently) that ALL genuine parts steering boxes are recon not new, and appear to be rebuilt on the cheap by incompetent people. In the end, I bought a s/h box off Ebay (from a lower mileage but older vehicle) whcih has been far better than the so-called LR recon boxes. I have also rebuilt myself the last leaky "new" box, there didn't actually seem to be anything seriously wrong with it, it had just been put together really carelessly!

If I needed another box now I would go straight to Adwest in Reading, who manufacture them for LR and will supply preperly-built replacements (which I thing are cheaper than LR too).

It is possible that I have been really unlucky and just had two random bad boxes of course.
Post #100685 18th Nov 2011 10:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1