↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Wife's defunct Discovery Sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
The_75th

United Kingdom 
Out of interest, what trim level is the car?

There is going to be a big difference in the value in parting it out from a basic Manual 2WD S and an Auto, 4wd HSE or whatever their top spec
Post #1041835 4th Aug 2024 4:37pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Off Topic There has been a lot of discussion about the Ingenium engines and how they right themselves off.

I would be distraught to have spent the kind of money a Disco Sport costs to lose the car within 6-7 years. But that got me thinking; There are thousands of people whose reason for not buying an EV car is that the batteries might fail and the replacement costs more or less rights the vehicle off, whereas there are thousands of people who buy Landrovers with these engines?

And I remember back in 2016, a Gentleman in my LR dealers having a hell of an argument with the service agent after being told his Disco 4 needed a new engine. It was being done under warranty, he just wanted his money back and was sick to death of the vehicle.

How likely are you losing an engine in a reasonably new car? A 2018 model seems premature to me.
Post #1041858 4th Aug 2024 7:34pm
Moo

Ukraine 
It's a known design issue. Many other manufactures have them. Have you noticed the number of XC90s now tooled up as police cars instead of X5s......? Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1041863 4th Aug 2024 8:28pm
Rashers

Yes. That's true.

There was a fatal accident with a Police BMW X5 and I am sure I read somewhere that BMW have given up supplying cars to UK Police forces.

https://www.fleetnews.co.uk/news/manufactu...2C%202020.

And everyone thinks BMW's are bomb proof. Even Ineos, but that's for another post Laughing
Post #1041864 4th Aug 2024 8:33pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Rashers wrote:
... There are thousands of people whose reason for not buying an EV car is that the batteries might fail and the replacement costs more or less rights the vehicle off, whereas there are thousands of people who buy Landrovers with these engines? ...

It's hard to know how many people didn't buy a Land-Rover with an Ingenium engine for this reason but I suspect that there are many - like me - for whom it would have prevented me buying one had I been looking for a vehicle at the time. Also whilst there are many known faults and failures with the Ingenium engine, there are many which don't fail and last for years, but industry acceptance is that the life of an EV battery is ten years max. I would not buy a vehicle which I knew, or was reasonably sure, would suffer an economically-catastrophic failure after ten years. Equally there are thousands who do buy EVs, although I believe that there are fewer buying them now than a few years ago as reality hits home.

Rashers wrote:
... There was a fatal accident with a Police BMW X5 and I am sure I read somewhere that BMW have given up supplying cars to UK Police forces...

There have been many problems with the BMW N57 diesel engine in UK Police vehicles, which, according to BMW, are attributable entirely to the Police's use of the vehicle which involves long periods stationary at idle (the on-board electrical load is such that these vehicles are not shut down, most are fitted with run-lock systems so that they can be left running unattended) followed by an immediate transition to high-speed demanding driving such as pursuits. I seem to remember that the root cause is lubrication failure due to oil dilution leading to catastrophic (usually with debris exiting the crankcase) mechanical failure, often involving fire, and such was the accident which hit the headlines for causing the death of PC Nick Dumphreys in Cumbria in January 2020. BMW has always maintained that there is no problem with this engine in normal civilian use, and there are as far as I am aware no reports of any similar failures outside of the Police. There are many in motoring circles who will argue quite convincingly that the BMW N57 engine is one of the best modern common-rail diesel engines ever manufactured.

I think it is also the case that there have been significantly more publicly-reported instances of Land-Rover hybrid vehicles catching fire than BMW N57 engines failing, but fortunately so far this has been without loss of life and therefore lacks the media shock value of the Police BMW problems.

It is a matter of both interest and concern that as we should be getting better at building sophisticated engines the increasing complexity of them is in fact resulting in engines which are much more prone to failure and much less reliable. Engines now are very highly stressed and the power-to-weight and power-to-displacement ratios are astonishing, but the trade-off is poor life expectancy and unreliability. I suppose it doesn't matter though if the engine life is short when the vehicle has designed-in obsolescence and a short life expectancy, or when deranged legislators are likely at short notice to outlaw the type of vehicle, with huge environmental consequences ironically on the altar of carbon-neutrality. We live in very strange times!
Post #1041886 4th Aug 2024 11:02pm
swt

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Just to complete this story, Mrs T sold the Disco Sport for about £2,500, to one of those online sites that buys non-runners. It must be said that they came almost immediately and were very helpful. It made things very easy, which in stressful circumstances was welcome.

In theory, in mint condition, it was worth about £8,000, but with the ravages of the dog in the rear and the (ahem) unrepaired panel damage on both sides, I can't believe she'd have got anywhere near that.

It's all a bit sad, to lose a car she really liked, after such a wastefully short life. Sadder for JLR, as it's almost certainly the last (modern) Land Rover she will buy.

The replacement is a second-hand Golf GTE plug-in hybrid, which seems to be going down well. She drove us to Lyon in it a week ago, and we've only had to fill the modest petrol tank once.
Post #1043053 17th Aug 2024 6:05pm
Rashers

There still seems to be plenty of people who want to buy into the JLR brand / dream, but as owners get their fingers fried, many will be like your wife, swt, and not touch the marque with the proverbial barge pole.

Sadly, I don't believe that JLR is unique in its issues. I believe most modern cars now have the potential to have a catastrophic failure, be that mechanical, electrical / electronic, or a small accident writing the car off because of unreasonably expensive repair costs.

Personally, I think manufacturers should be made to design vehicles which last longer, or at least can be repaired economically. The whole world harps on about being environmentally friendly. Having vehicles konking out under ten years old seems to abhorrent to me. But having things that go on forever seems to be what doesn't make the world tick now. They want us to buy more. The want us to borrow more. The idea that to be environmentally friendly you need to keep replacing something on a regular basis doesn't add up, but it keeps the economy happy for the government, be that which ever flag is flying above No.11 Downing Street.

Gone are the days when you would nip down the scrappy on a Saturday morning, then have the engine / gearbox / interior swapped out and in by Sunday night Laughing

Thanks swt for concluding this story, even if it wasn't a great one for you and your wife. So many posts on here never get concluded Thumbs Up
Post #1043063 17th Aug 2024 7:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12