Home > Puma (Tdci) > Puma won’t start after dash removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Zerrik90

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Puma won’t start after dash removal
Hi all,

Bit of an odd for for a fairly new Defender owner! Removed the dash to board todo some repairs to the dash and do some cable routing.

Put it all back together and the engine will start in the first instance then immediately cut out, it will then crank but won’t start. I get no lights on the dash either on turning ignition to position two.

Headlight lights will come on and indicators will show as well. However immobiliser light won’t light up or flash or anything. Immobiliser light will flash when locking.

Car locks and unlocks from key fob fine. All electric work fine as well. Thought it might be immobiliser but any thought welcome!

2011 2.4 puma
Post #1041222 28th Jul 2024 10:51pm
jcw

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
As an easy starter for ten, I would try removing the multi connector from the back of the clocks and re-inserting, ensuring it’s completely seated with the locking lever closed.
Post #1041225 29th Jul 2024 5:10am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Sync the fob, sounds like immobiliser is cutting the engine.

I’d disconnect the battery ten tins first, then reconnect it on the vehicle, then sync the fib by rapid pressing it until it’s synced.
Once the red dash light is slowed or off press unlock and then start it. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1041247 29th Jul 2024 9:35am
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Given the remote central locking is working ok the fobs will be synchronised, but can’t hurt running the process again as the 10AS can be quirky!

Checking the big connector to the instrument cluster is seated correctly and locked in place is a good call, the immobilisation circuit goes via this connector on the 2.4. It comes into the Instrument cluster on pin 3 from the 10AS, goes through the IC, then exits on pin 4 and goes to the engine ECU.

Two other things to check.
1. All connections to the ignition switch, check wires , connectors and tightness of fit of connectors on terminals
2. Check transponder coil is in place on ignition switch and wires to 10AS are ok.
Post #1041250 29th Jul 2024 10:10am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Transponder coil could indeed be misplaced that’s a good one, easy to be out of the place it should be.

The locking tab on the IPAC can also be not locked, so connector loose in housing.

Does sound immobiliser related, as that will do it but there is a couple of other sensors too.
CPS sensor probably would only crank if that has failed, I do know the immobiliser if armed will allow cranking and to fire a few seconds and the will cut.
And that will happen if immobiliser is armed.

Has the OBD2 connector been moved or disturbed? Any diagnostics / trip computers connected? NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1041260 29th Jul 2024 12:14pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
All good things to check, my betting is it’s either the Instrument cluster connector not fitted correctly or ignition switch wiring / connector(s).
Post #1041265 29th Jul 2024 12:54pm
Zerrik90

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
All sorted, i think the dash must have been a red herring as i re-synced the fobs and all was well.

The dash lights seem to have resolved itself… for now! plan is todah to double checl tbe wirinv and socket just to kale sure!

thanks you fir the advice everyone!
Post #1041337 30th Jul 2024 9:02am
AMBxx

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Autocorrect turned off today? Rolling with laughter
Post #1041363 30th Jul 2024 11:59am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1