↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Air intake findings..
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
andy63

United Kingdom 
Air intake findings..
I know I've posted bits on various threads on this subject , after upgrading my intake system with an alisport system..
But I'll put it all together in one thread in case it's of interest to anyone thinking of going down this route..
It's the 2.2tdci and it's running a 150 map.. no dpf..an upgraded intercooler and a large (3inch) bore exhaust with a small cntr box..so I figured there was only the intake side left to improve engine breathing..
I fitted a safari raised intake to the standard intake system and my gauge showed a maf figure of 16gms/sec on tick over..
I'll use my tick over figures as that at least is always comparing like with like..
After fitting the alisport upgrade that figure dropped to about 13.5 gms/s..
My ali sport kit was the air box with the intake hose of 78/79 mm entering along the standard ducting path.. not over the wing top..
I fitted the ITG cleanable foam filter to the air box and the maf figure at tick over rose to about 14.5g/s..
I tried disconnecting the air box intake hose to rule out the raised air intake and inlet ducting giving the reduced flow from standard , but with no noticeable difference to the maf figure..
I fitted a centrifugal air pre cleaner to the raised air intake and again surprisingly no real change to the maf figure at tick over..still hovered around 14.5g/s...
So today for curiosity's sake I refitted the standard air box and filter.. I did remove the water separator from the air box as I have a pre cleaner fitted.. but no cutting or modifying the box..
Had it for a drive and the maf figure is noticeably improved..it's back to the 16g/s I started with.. in fact a bit better ..
On a drive the volumetric eff figure is way better as well , into the 90 odd % instead of the high 80's before..
So I'm sort of concluding that the standard air box is in fact as good as it gets.. improving the ducting into that helps a bit but I'm not sure if I can be bothered or even if it will make a difference increasing the diameter of the air intake hose from wing to air box from what I have now
I'll run it for a while and see but looks like I may have an Ali sport air box for sale lol.. it looks the part mindπŸ‘
It's worth saying that I never really noticed any big improvements in performance throughout all this playing around, but my truck runs well atm anyway..

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #1045538 11th Sep 2024 12:58pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
There's an Allisport video in this thread https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic89374.html detailing the new airbox. Towards the end they show this graph which compares the new airbox performance against the standard LR one. As can be seen at low revs there is little to no difference, which is what you seem to have shown too. It is only at the higher rev range where the new airbox and larger piping comes into its own as the original more restricted pipework and airbox reaches its maximum capacity, whilst the Allisport version copes a lot better.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1045556 11th Sep 2024 3:18pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
""As can be seen at low revs there is little to no difference, which is what you seem to have shown too.""

Is that the way you see it..??
I thought I'd demonstrated that after fitting the upgrade the air flow actually dropped..and I used the tick over and low engine load data to show that..
From 16gms/s to 13.5gms/s..
That's somewhere in the region of a 15 to 16% reduction in mass air flow at low load..
And the way I view it is a reduction in air flow at that low rate will only increase as the velocity of the fluid increases..
When driving the volumetric efficiency figures are significantly higher now with the standard air box back in..
I did post somewhere a while ago that scope readings on the maf sensor supported the actual mass flow readings , but they are in frequency(Hz) and not so easily grasped..
That's how I see things anyway..
Ie a restriction at low revs is only going to have a larger effect at higher flow rates.. and the standard air box is in fact more efficient that the alloy one..
Post #1045566 11th Sep 2024 4:26pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Got curious, and computed the air mass at STP for. 2.2, would be 17.45g/s (assuming idle of 750rpm) if it is 100% efficiency. Bit confusing though, as I assumed the throttle body would restrict much more air at idle, or perhaps yours stay open since the dpf has been deleted?
Or I could also got my calculations wrong πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

My calc:
1.1 liter/rev
750 rev/min
1.27kg/1000liter
1 min/60s
1000 g/kg

Multiply all the above, so remaining units are g/s. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1045568 11th Sep 2024 4:45pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
Lol...
I've been down that road but more to check the maf figures I was getting via torque..I posted about it here at the time as well..and they pretty well stacked up and verified what I was looking at..
You have to make a few assumptions one been the volumetric eff you reckon the engine is operating under..
But torque actually calculates and displays that figure , which I wasn't aware of at the time, I've since added it to the display I use as shown in the screenshot above..
Edit... my idle speed is always 800 rpm

And on the throttle body... mine is always open..but even in an operating diesel I believe they are only ever active to help the egr system when it's active ..ie to create a slight depression to aid the flow of exhaust gas into the manifold..
The only other use as far as I know is to assist in a good shut down when you turn the ignition off..
Post #1045570 11th Sep 2024 4:54pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1