↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Black smoke but hear me out.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
koltonstanley

United States 2010 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alpine White
Black smoke but hear me out.
Hello,
I’ve read just about everything I could find about black smoke but can’t figure this out. Any ideas?

2009 defender puma 2.4

220,000 miles

Been running an alive tuning remap with egr off for 10 plus years. Have never had any major issues.

About 2 weeks ago I noticed a lot of black smoke and very sluggish throttle response and loss of power in lower rpm’s…… once I’m over apx 2,000 rpm’s things feel normal ish.

Immediately I check air filter and it’s very very dirty, I blow it out with air compressor and immediately truck is back to normal.

2 or 3 engine cycles later it comes back.

I replace air filter and no change.

I clean map and maf sensor, no change.

I run as many fuel additives and injector cleaners as I can through the truck and no change.

I install new maf sensor. No change.

I clean map sensor again and have new one on order.

Now the weird part, a few days in and all of a sudden I start the truck and everything is back to normal…. Truck feels great! Last a few engine cycles and then reverts back to black smoke.

Goes back and forth like this for days, sometimes fine and other times bad.

I decide to change vcv valve…… no change.

I feel like after the truck sits overnight the first start up of the day is the worst just until I clear it out….. almost like it’s flooded and after I get it up to high rpm’s goes back to just normal bad….

I’ve got a cheap ob2 sensor and I have no faults other then egr system which is turned off.

What’s next!?

I’m in USA so almost no shops around that I know of that can help me…..

Is it possible there is something wrong with egr/stuck open even though the remap has it turned off?
Post #1045253 8th Sep 2024 9:47pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Check the Turbo actuator pivots are lubed and that the turbo vanes are free, and also there is no obstructions in the air inlet pipework like leaves or anything like that.

As you probably know, black smoke typically suggests more diesel going through than it should, overly rich in diesel and restricted in air.
Is there any wiring damage such as near the MAF plug?

It has been known, but rare for something like a disposable glove to be stuck in the air inlet after being sucked in as they can often be used just to quickly blank off a hose from ingress when work is done.

Beyond that it’ll be checking injectors etc and they are showing the correct pressures and parameters.
They can also spray a pattern that isn’t as they should be after such miles as you describe.

Just some suggestions at least for now. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045256 8th Sep 2024 10:05pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
What intercooler are you running?

You could have a small crack/split in the intercooler. 2008 2.4 110 Utility Station Wagon XS.
Post #1045257 8th Sep 2024 10:28pm
koltonstanley

I do also have an uprated intercooler by alive but again it’s been over 10 years, I haven’t really looked at Intercooler yet….. will try to look that over tomorrow.

Last edited by koltonstanley on 9th Sep 2024 1:20am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1045261 9th Sep 2024 1:06am
koltonstanley

custom90 wrote:
Check the Turbo actuator pivots are lubed and that the turbo vanes are free, and also there is no obstructions in the air inlet pipework like leaves or anything like that.

As you probably know, black smoke typically suggests more diesel going through than it should, overly rich in diesel and restricted in air.
Is there any wiring damage such as near the MAF plug?

It has been known, but rare for something like a disposable glove to be stuck in the air inlet after being sucked in as they can often be used just to quickly blank off a hose from ingress when work is done.

Beyond that it’ll be checking injectors etc and they are showing the correct pressures and parameters.
They can also spray a pattern that isn’t as they should be after such miles as you describe.

Just some suggestions at least for now.

Lots of good suggestions, I haven’t looked at the turbo at all.
I don’t know anything about getting to the linkage, is it easily accessible?

Will also check wiring closely, that would explain the intermittent part if it was just loose or worn wiring…..
Post #1045262 9th Sep 2024 1:16am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yes, you can get at it easily if you look on here for info about the Turbo EA using the search function above you’ll find info on here about how you can check the linkage is free and the turbo vanes have free movement, it’s not invasive to do. Just requiring the top circlip to be removed (careful not to lose it). With the engine off, and manually operate the linkage to check the vanes are free, it should be free all the way to its downward travel. With no obstruction, then reconnect it.
(All of this is with the engine and ignition off throughout).

Lube the two pivots on the linkage with a light oil like 3 in 1 oil.

Also worth checking things like Brickbox mentioned, and for any signs of problems around the Intercooler etc and pipework.
Check for cracks or any leaks around the map manifold and engine inlet manifold, turbo and exhaust header etc whilst there, you can normally tell if there is anything.

Do you know how old the coolant is? NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1045298 9th Sep 2024 1:46pm
koltonstanley

Click image to enlarge

Ok so I took the turbo linkage apart and it seams fine…. Moves easily all the way….. I did drop that clip about 3 times and spent an hour looking for it 🤦🏻‍♂️.

Anyway if course I’ve got over 200,000 miles so everything has a good coating of oil, grease etc so it’s hard to tell if there is any new leaks….. haha but I don’t see anything.

Intercooler looks fine 🤷🏻‍♂️.

So I got the new map sensor today and I pulled out the old one and it was totally caked full of who knows what…. Like somebody put black peanut butter on it…… and this is a sensor I cleaned only 2 or 3 days ago!

What in the world would cause so much build up that fast?

See picture.
Post #1045370 10th Sep 2024 1:40am
andy63

United Kingdom 
Hard to believe that's ever been cleaned lol..
Normally that's an operating egr valve that would cause that sort of carbon build up but you say yours is disabled..the inlet manifold side will need removing and cleaning out..
Fitting a new map isn't likely to help on it's own..the passage to the map port is small and easily blocked..I covered a bit on that in this thread.

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post1039364.html#1039364

Your engine needs a bit tlc I think..
👍..
Post #1045374 10th Sep 2024 6:52am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I would guess that your injector seals have gone, leading to excessive blow by and increased crankcase pressure which is ventilating via the positive crankcase ventilation system and in doing so blowing oily air into the your inlet pipework > 110 XS Double Cab
> Instagram @simonlanemind
Post #1045383 10th Sep 2024 8:09am
koltonstanley

So most likely injectors need to be pulled and replaced with new copper washers, and inlet manifold taken apart and cleaned.
Anything else I should prepare for?
In the USA I gotta pretty much order everything I need before I start.
Post #1045410 10th Sep 2024 12:22pm
koltonstanley

has anyone ever had an EGR valve cause an issue like this even with it turned off?

Is it possible that it got stuck open, even a little?

i recently had the battery disconnected for a few days, is it possible the egr opened and then couldnt fully close?

When your EGR is turned off via ECU does it just stay closed 100 percent of the time or does it still open for any reason?

Should i just replace the EGR regardless just to be sure......again truck does have 375,000 KM!

thanks
Post #1045424 10th Sep 2024 2:59pm
BrickBox

Wales 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Zermatt Silver
Just put a blank plate on the EGR if you want to make sure it’s fully closed I guess. 2008 2.4 110 Utility Station Wagon XS.
Post #1045425 10th Sep 2024 3:08pm
koltonstanley

i know im probably getting ahead of myself but would it be a bad idea to flash the original map back onto the ECU and let the truck perform the self cleaning egr duties it normally would?

Or should i try whacking the egr with a hammer to see if anyththing changes......haha
Post #1045426 10th Sep 2024 3:13pm
andy63

United Kingdom 
The egr valve could be leaking I suppose..just because it is electronically decommissioned and not operating doesnt mean it might not be passing some exhaust..but thinking about it , you would think that would cause loss of boost pressure and flag a fault ..so unlikely I would think..
On mine if you view the data on a scan tool I think it reads a small percentage actuation but that never changes indicating it is doing nothing and at that percentage it is in fact closed....it's not difficult to insert a blanking plate at the valve outlet anyway when you have it in bits
When I said your issue of carbon build up was due to the egr valve I mean it's the exhaust gases that help form the tar and hard carbon deposits of the oil that is been carried over to the inlet ..
Was it ever cleaned at the time it was mapped out..if not it could have been like that for a long time and the excessive oil carry over has just helped form a large tary mass in your intake..
Post #1045428 10th Sep 2024 3:17pm
koltonstanley

no it was never cleaned prior to rempap.....

however truck had only done probably 10,000 miles or so before i had it done.

its weird to me that the truck starts right up and idles nice and smooth....no stalling no signs of any issues.....

even in 1st gear i cant tell anything is wrong......its just when i step on pedal in 3rd or 4th gear at low rpms feels like im in 5th or 6th gear but only in 2nd or 3rd....

once i get it up past 2000 rpms everything basically feels normal again.....

today while on a highway even in 6th gear going up a hill it pulls hard like a train.......

sigh...

thanks for your help guys......think the next thing i will attempt is to remove egr valve and see what it looks like.

thanks
Post #1045430 10th Sep 2024 3:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>