↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Couple of curiosities
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
custom90

United Kingdom 
Couple of curiosities
Just wondering a couple of things purely out of curiosity really little more.

Am I correct in thinking a 90 2.4 with solid front brake discs from the factory can be swapped over to 110 discs that are vented, and 110 callipers.

Reason I’m wondering, is purely that one day when discs need replacing I’m wondering if that upgrade would be possible? I seem to remember it is, vented discs dissipate heat a bit better, that’s just about the only benefit to that though. Or is there other benefits to that?

Also, the rear halfshafts have a tapped thread in them. That matches the DM thread bolts.
Is that there purely to insert a bolt to pull the halfshaft outwards for ease of fitting the retainer circlip?
Or was it for machining convenience when manufactured or possibly both?

Presumably halfshafts are turned on a lathe, and then the splines finished after (if the halfshaft variety is splined, is then cut after being turned).

Thoughts?
Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1040383 19th Jul 2024 8:57pm
htb2

Wales 
No problem changing from solids to vented as you said. Vented calipers are the same as solid ones but with a spacer between the two halves and longer bolts to suit.
Post #1040386 19th Jul 2024 9:04pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Yes and yes. You could fit vented discs and 110 calipers if you felt it was worthwhile. Disc diameter and caliper piston size are the same.

The threaded hole in the half shaft end serves no purpose other than extraction and serves no purpose during manufacturing.
Post #1040387 19th Jul 2024 9:07pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That’s good to know, only I had read before that it could be done.
It’s not something I’d consider just for the sake of doing it, but if parts were to be replaced that would be a good time to do that I think.

Realistically I can only really think heat dissipation is the only real benefit, but that wouldn’t be a bad thing at all. Quite positive in fact. Reducing brake fade possibility, reducing fluid temp and caliper + piston heat.

Is there wear indicators on the brake discs or a specified minimum thickness? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1040396 19th Jul 2024 10:32pm
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
I think the calipers have an insert between the two halves to allow hot the thicker vented disks. Calipers are not expensive to buy new
Post #1040402 20th Jul 2024 6:03am
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
custom90 wrote:

Is there wear indicators on the brake discs or a specified minimum thickness?

I don’t know if there are wear indicators or not, but as far as I recall front solid discs minimum thickness is 12mm.

I ran my old 90 for many years as a daily driver, solid discs front and drum brakes on rear, and cant remember of having brake fade. Perhaps the higher engine braking with older diesels helped… as in 100k miles all short distance commutes I never replaced pads.

Interestingly, on my old 90 I could lock the front wheelsquite easily with 265 tyres. On my newer Puma, with vented discs, 235 tyres, never been able to lock the wheels. Perhaps the Puma is a bit heavier. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #1040405 20th Jul 2024 6:58am
Dinnu

Btw, I do not recall putting and circlips on the rear halfshafts.

Only the front CV joints need circlips with correct shims to ensure CV joint is centered on the swivel top/bottom bearings. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1040407 20th Jul 2024 7:09am
TexasRover

France 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Chawton White
Dinnu wrote:
custom90 wrote:

Is there wear indicators on the brake discs or a specified minimum thickness?

I don’t know if there are wear indicators or not, but as far as I recall front solid discs minimum thickness is 12mm.

I ran my old 90 for many years as a daily driver, solid discs front and drum brakes on rear, and cant remember of having brake fade. Perhaps the higher engine braking with older diesels helped… as in 100k miles all short distance commutes I never replaced pads.

Interestingly, on my old 90 I could lock the front wheelsquite easily with 265 tyres. On my newer Puma, with vented discs, 235 tyres, never been able to lock the wheels. Perhaps the Puma is a bit heavier.

Once I experienced brake fade racing a Renault 5 around the country roads in my many younger days. I was riding it hard with full braking for every turn. It was like the booster failed just had to stomp it so much harder. I think it is a combination of just heat in the disk and pads also they say your brake fluid can boil especially if it has absorbed moisture.

Possibly in a hilly environment if you have a lot of weight and going down a long incline a little too fast you could find yourself in trouble. Obviously keeping a low gear and your speed down with bursts of braking to keep your speed down would be the better technique.

Good quality brake pads are probably a more noticeable improvement than vented disk..

My Series 88 has 109 DLS drum brakes up front and I had them locked up solid in an emergency deer crossing situation (4 wheel skid). Just did the CT (French MOT) and the braking performance was excellent, great balance as well (4% fwd, 1% aft)
Post #1040409 20th Jul 2024 7:34am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Oh yes, engine braking via lower gears is well worth it.
The only time I had brake fade was using EBC green brake pads, since then went back to Mintex I believe and not had that issue since.
But on a very steep incline with weight brakes do get incredibly hot.

I am surprised to be honest that 90’s don’t have the vented discs as standard anyway considering they are a braking upgrade.

Regards circlips on the splines, mine did and are Ashcroft 2 piece.
Are you thinking of the 1piece DM and shaft?
If so then there isn’t a circlip for obvious reasons as the DM is one piece the splines only being at the diff end.

I certainly believe on the rear Ashcroft 2piece and HD DM OR 1 piece are far better than the factory fit.
The fretting of the factory fit and ingress of water are two really big issues.

I would seriously consider 1piece DM’s on the rear in future but Ashcroft HD DM caps up front, they keep the splines clean and protected but well lubed without ingress from detritus and water.
And sort of Sandy silt in there would be really bad which LR’s factory fit are vulnerable to.
Their rubber caps just don’t cut the mustard in my opinion, on mine they were missing as well, presumably knocked off when a wheel or two was taken off.

Talking of that, if ever you get an MOT or work done, be sure to check the torque of the nuts after.
You never know!
I found once that I found a wheel nut a bit loose, where it had not been tightened. Rolling Eyes
It was something like 30NM just hand nipped up but not tightened.

I tighten mine to 133nm, always have but the manual vs wsm seems to have discrepancies in it regarding that the range of 130nm to 133nm for alloys. Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1040426 20th Jul 2024 10:34am
Dinnu

^^^ re circlips on rear half shafts, I am talking about standard Land Rover shafts and DMs. I am sure that the 10 spline version do not have circlips. I did replace the DM on the rear of my 24 spline axle, but as with other things, I tend to remember more what I did 20 years ago than what I did just recently 😂 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
Post #1040431 20th Jul 2024 11:04am
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Custom90.

I’ve had my TD5 90 HT for over fourteen years now and I changed to original solid discs to 110 rotors and callipers, it was one of the earliest jobs I did on it.

In fact the parts came as a brand new take off from Mud Stuff as they were doing a customer upgrade.

More than happy with over the years.
Post #1040510 20th Jul 2024 6:06pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
All good to hear, when that time comes then that is the way I shall go. Thumbs Up

I had heard of it before, I just wondered how many people had swapped over. Very Happy Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1040511 20th Jul 2024 6:13pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I swapped over to vented discs and ran them for many many years on my 90 hardtop. No negatives I can think of.
Were they standard on 90’s with ABS?
Post #1040518 20th Jul 2024 7:55pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
That’s a good question, mine doesn’t have ABS.

Perhaps XS models do? Diesel$ Live$ Matter. ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1040528 20th Jul 2024 9:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1