↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Vague steering and advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
That’s the point. The ones my mate had bought were not that thread. He is a mechanic for living, and actually removed his failed ball joints sent off to a company who informed him what the thread was that they could source the right hand thread items, but not the left hand thread items. I spoke to Gwyn about it who commented along the lines of “I get a plenty of phone calls about these rods and if he can supply the joints for them”, which has can’t.
Post #1040423 20th Jul 2024 10:03am
tom1979

United Kingdom 2000 Defender 90 Td5 HT Caledonian Blue
Do you know who made them / what brand ? -------------
Defender 90 Td5
Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
Discovery 2 Td5 Auto
Range Rover Classic 300Tdi Bobtail
Ranger Rover L322 M57
(and more- yes I have a problem!)
Post #1040436 20th Jul 2024 11:16am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
Each to their own.

My understanding is that Gwyn’s are a higher quality steel, the ball joints are the best he can source, and have a thicker neck on the joint, and they have been upgraded to poly boots. They are made by someone not just mass produced by a machine, you can talk to the block who came up with the idea, they are made in the UK not China, you will always get support should it be needed. They come with pages of info/help/procedures

But in the end, I’m very happy to buy from someone I know, and trust. Knowing I’m supporting a UK company and a man who is developing new items to improve my Defender.

It’s a solid metal bar??? If you haven’t owned the cheaper ones, you can’t really comment. However consider the factory ones are thin hollow tubes yet still manage to last 30+ years. The cheap solid cleats are likely good for a min of 40+ years.

Gywn sells the same ball joints available elsewhere. They are not specific to him and will fit any of the bars. You seemed to be somewhat blinded by a single retailer rather than using facts, rational thought and logic. As said I have nothing against the Sumo bars, but I’d need proof where the extra money is going. Nothing against Gywn have bought several items from them, although with some research you can sometimes buy similar/same items a lot cheaper.
Post #1040446 20th Jul 2024 11:52am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
That’s the point. The ones my mate had bought were not that thread. He is a mechanic for living, and actually removed his failed ball joints sent off to a company who informed him what the thread was that they could source the right hand thread items, but not the left hand thread items. I spoke to Gwyn about it who commented along the lines of “I get a plenty of phone calls about these rods and if he can supply the joints for them”, which has can’t.

He is mechanic and had to send them off to find the thread pitch??? Laughing

Wtf….
Post #1040447 20th Jul 2024 11:54am
tom1979

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
landy andy wrote:
Each to their own.

My understanding is that Gwyn’s are a higher quality steel, the ball joints are the best he can source, and have a thicker neck on the joint, and they have been upgraded to poly boots. They are made by someone not just mass produced by a machine, you can talk to the block who came up with the idea, they are made in the UK not China, you will always get support should it be needed. They come with pages of info/help/procedures

But in the end, I’m very happy to buy from someone I know, and trust. Knowing I’m supporting a UK company and a man who is developing new items to improve my Defender.

It’s a solid metal bar??? If you haven’t owned the cheaper ones, you can’t really comment. However consider the factory ones are thin hollow tubes yet still manage to last 30+ years. The cheap solid cleats are likely good for a min of 40+ years.

Gywn sells the same ball joints available elsewhere. They are not specific to him and will fit any of the bars. You seemed to be somewhat blinded by a single retailer rather than using facts, rational thought and logic. As said I have nothing against the Sumo bars, but I’d need proof where the extra money is going. Nothing against Gywn have bought several items from them, although with some research you can sometimes buy similar/same items a lot cheaper.

Recently found a parts place selling identical Defender stub axle kits for Td5 & TDCI, but the Puma one was £10 more!

The track rod ends Gwyn Lewis sells are modified to be greaseable. They don't sell non-greaseable ones as far as I know, but standard Defender track rod ends will fit fine. -------------
Defender 90 Td5
Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
Discovery 2 Td5 Auto
Ranger Rover L322 M57
Post #1040452 20th Jul 2024 12:11pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 
One benefit of the HD bars is you can stand on them in the engine bay of a 200tdi with the fan shroud removed and reach awkward area’s ,
Incidentally I have the paddocks hd arms on for the last 7 years without any issues, and lots of off-road
Downide of any of the HD bars is if you do manage to bend them with serious off roading then your unlikely to be able to straighten them in the field like you can with the standard ones.
Post #1040454 20th Jul 2024 12:38pm
landy andy

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
landy andy wrote:

Wtf….

Yes he is a mechanic, not an engineer. So not up on all the thread types. We are not all as great as yourself clearly.
He then spoke to a supplier who requested he sent the item to them so they could match it which they couldn’t.

Last edited by landy andy on 20th Jul 2024 4:29pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1040490 20th Jul 2024 4:17pm
landy andy

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
landy andy wrote:
Each to their own.

There are many types metal and not all are the same Gwyn’s are 30mm solid EN8 steel bar, what are the paddock ones?

Info on Gwyn Lewis ball joints.
“ These are the HEAVIEST DUTY TRACK ROD ENDS to fit a Land Rover that i can find, they are fully greaseable, the thread on the taper end is 1/2 inch UNF, most others are 12mm, the undercut on the end of the thread nearest the taper is 12mm, most others are 9.5mm, they also come with a nylock nut on this end, on the end of the main thread nearest the ball joint the thread does not go to the end, this gives more strength to the main body, inside the joint there is also a larger than standard nylon socket to cup the ball,this will help withstand impacts off road and reduce wear in the joint, ”

I’m happy to pay a few more pounds for someone to do the research and know what is good quality and what is Censored . I. Happy to support someone who is developing products that others permanently steal and sell as their own.

If you wish to do different then brilliant for you. I know I’m happy with the decision I made when I bought and fitted GL steering parts, not some unknown stuff from a company that I have no relationship with.
Post #1040493 20th Jul 2024 4:27pm
tom1979

Landy Andy agree 100%, just because someone has copied an idea and cut enough corners to do it cheaper it doesn't make it as good, it just makes it look similar. A certain very well known parts wholesaler are known to order products to be delivered to Director's relatives houses which then appear in blue boxes a few months later. I suppose without this cheapening practice the children in the Chinese orphanages would have very little to do every day Laughing

He will find out how good the Paddocks ones are when he fits them! As far as I know they are the same as the Britpart/Terrachina ones, and if they have sat around 8 years the rubber on the track rod ends is going to perish very quickly if it hasn't already. -------------
Defender 90 Td5
Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
Discovery 2 Td5 Auto
Ranger Rover L322 M57
Post #1040506 20th Jul 2024 5:46pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:
Chicken Drumstick wrote:
landy andy wrote:

Wtf….

Yes he is a mechanic, not an engineer. So not up on all the thread types. We are not all as great as yourself clearly.
He then spoke to a supplier who requested he sent the item to them so they could match it which they couldn’t.

So you are saying a ball joint maker decided to invent their thread pitch instead of use what the rest of the world has been using for over 100 years… that is utter nonsense.

Finding the thread is easy…. Just match it up with other bolts. Or you’d expect a mechanic to have something simple like this in their toolbox to help them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/305354776443?mk...media=COPY
Post #1040520 20th Jul 2024 8:09pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
landy andy wrote:

There are many types metal and not all are the same Gwyn’s are 30mm solid EN8 steel bar, what are the paddock ones?

Most people never bend factory ones. If you bend one of the ones Paddock sells, it would be the least of your concerns and you have probably been in a major accident that has written off at least five vehicles. And even then I’m not convinced you’d bend one!

Let’s employ a little common sense here.
Post #1040523 20th Jul 2024 8:14pm
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
tom1979 wrote:
Landy Andy agree 100%, just because someone has copied an idea and cut enough corners to do it cheaper it doesn't make it as good, it just makes it look similar. A certain very well known parts wholesaler are known to order products to be delivered to Director's relatives houses which then appear in blue boxes a few months later. I suppose without this cheapening practice the children in the Chinese orphanages would have very little to do every day Laughing

He will find out how good the Paddocks ones are when he fits them! As far as I know they are the same as the Britpart/Terrachina ones, and if they have sat around 8 years the rubber on the track rod ends is going to perish very quickly if it hasn't already.

You can use any ball joint as said twice. So why do you think you know who makes the ball joints I have or what condition they are in? Also as stated Gywn offers different ball joints including the same brand as you can get from the other supplier. Or are you suggesting that Gywn sprinkles pixie dust on the one he sells to make them extra special??

I have used the same Hd arms before on my PAS converted 88 Series III. They handled loads of abuse on and off road and the arms looked like new when I sold the vehicle. You are completely mental if you believe they are not strong enough.

And not all cheaper products are Chinese. I sourced some U.K. made wide angle propshafts earlier this year built to the same specs as Gywns wide angle ones but for less than 2/3rds the price. So as I said, it is worth shopping around and having at least a basic idea of what the parts do.
Post #1040524 20th Jul 2024 8:20pm
landy andy

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
landy andy wrote:

Most people never bend factory ones. If you bend one of the ones Paddock sells, it would be the least of your concerns and you have probably been in a major accident that has written off at least five vehicles. And even then I’m not convinced you’d bend one!

Let’s employ a little common sense here.

They didn’t invent their own thread, they just didn’t use the same as standard LR with imperial threads. I think from memory it was a metric fine thread.

I’ve bent standard ones, and wished to upgrade. I have now done that. I paid a premium to someone who wished to put the time into research, and make a product i wanted. That is how business works. I spent a few £ more on stuff I trust than stuff I don’t know. But whilst it cost me a few £ more I was doing other things, like earning more ££, rather than researching ball joint threads.

But ok. You know best. So well done you. Be happy with yourself.
Post #1040526 20th Jul 2024 8:39pm
tom1979

Chicken Drumstick wrote:
tom1979 wrote:

He will find out how good the Paddocks ones are when he fits them! As far as I know they are the same as the Britpart/Terrachina ones, and if they have sat around 8 years the rubber on the track rod ends is going to perish very quickly if it hasn't already.

You can use any ball joint as said twice. So why do you think you know who makes the ball joints I have or what condition they are in? Also as stated Gywn offers different ball joints including the same brand as you can get from the other supplier. Or are you suggesting that Gywn sprinkles pixie dust on the one he sells to make them extra special??

I have used the same Hd arms before on my PAS converted 88 Series III. They handled loads of abuse on and off road and the arms looked like new when I sold the vehicle. You are completely mental if you believe they are not strong enough.

And not all cheaper products are Chinese. I sourced some U.K. made wide angle propshafts earlier this year built to the same specs as Gywns wide angle ones but for less than 2/3rds the price. So as I said, it is worth shopping around and having at least a basic idea of what the parts do.

I didn't say all cheaper products are Chinese - I said that the main UK parts suppliers are increasingly moving to Chinese parts. This benefits everyone as the consumer gets cheaper parts, and the retailers get more repeat sales (when they fail prematurely).

If you are happy with your product that is all that matters. But I have seen those track rod ends shear and most commonly the rubbers perished in the box. There is better out there, but as you point out not everyone needs or wants the best. Personally I'd prefer not to have a track rod end shear off so I'll stick with Delphi ones.

I mainly use Bailey Morris for propshafts, they are local to me and they've always been good for the 25 years I've been going there. -------------
Defender 90 Td5
Discovery 2 Td5 Manual
Discovery 2 Td5 Auto
Ranger Rover L322 M57
Post #1040531 20th Jul 2024 9:18pm
shropshiredefender

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Re: Vague steering and advice
ppad wrote:
My 05 90 hasn't had steering work in the 11 yrs I've had it.
Now, it's like my old Series III, lots of play and after some recent Dorset rutted lanes maybe not quite straight. Generally wobbly in summary.
So, being +70 yrs old mostly that sort of work is done by the same local that I've used for 10 yrs.
And, he said go look at Gwyn Lewis web site and pick a beefier kit, he'll fit it.

But, I need to ask the forum first. Have yoiu bought from these folk? What would be a good kit for a better than new precise steering? And, what's likely to be worn anyway? Thks.

My Puma had alot of Gwyn Lewis kit fitted and was serviced at his garage. I found him to be honest and straight talking, only suggesting appropriate solutions that were seldom the most expensive option.

My suggestion is that you phone him, tell him exactly what it is that you want to achieve and take his advice. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.
Post #1040534 20th Jul 2024 9:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>