↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Farewell! Defender on fire.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
trollx

Poland 
Farewell! Defender on fire.
My Defender 110 (MY 22) suddenly launched a fan in the middle of the night. Luckily I was awake and noticed something was wrong. (The car was closed and turned off for more than 3 hours). I called LR assistance and while on the phone I noticed that the car started to burn.

I was lucky enough to stop the fire.
The car was transported to Land Rover. For now, it's difficult to say what caused the fire but it had something to do with the electrical circuit. Adding to the frustration, after just two days with a courtesy car from Land Rover assistance, I was told they still didn’t know what caused the fire and that I needed to return the provided car. Now, my insurance has to cover the cost of an expert to determine what went wrong.

It's my last LR car. If I hadn’t been awake and outside, the fire could have been much worse. Unfortunately, this incident has made up my mind – this will be my last Land Rover.
Post #1039710 11th Jul 2024 4:19pm
spudfan

Ireland 
You had a lucky escape. I know the deed is done but it would be helpful to know what caused this fire. Hopefully you will get some closure on this and that you insurance company treats you fairly.
What model was it? 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1039716 11th Jul 2024 6:25pm
johnlad

United Kingdom 
Is it not covered by warranty?
Post #1039717 11th Jul 2024 6:28pm
spudfan

Ireland 
"The car was transported to Land Rover. For now, it's difficult to say what caused the fire but it had something to do with the electrical circuit. Adding to the frustration, after just two days with a courtesy car from Land Rover assistance, I was told they still didn’t know what caused the fire and that I needed to return the provided car. Now, my insurance has to cover the cost of an expert to determine what went wrong."
You would think Land Rover would be doing more to ascertain the cause of this fire and be more pro active with the customer. 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #1039718 11th Jul 2024 6:44pm
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Did it have the recent EGR oil seal recall?

My wife had it with her Velar (along with the security update) and i thought that this was a potential point for a fire.

I don't have the paperwork anymore to confirm this.
Post #1039745 11th Jul 2024 10:01pm
HardCharger

Philippines 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
spudfan wrote:

You would think Land Rover would be doing more to ascertain the cause of this fire and be more pro active with the customer.

Well at least you know there is no discrimination at Land Rover. They apparently treat the new owners like the Legendary unit owners.

Once they have your money, good luck to you and we're sure you'll keep it running. Evil or Very Mad
Post #1039750 12th Jul 2024 1:41am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think the subject of spontaneous combustion is a rather unwelcome one at Land-Rover at present due to the number of high-profile and very expensive incidents. It also seems to be policy to deny the possibility of the existence of any problem until the evidence is overwhelming.

Sadly I wouldn't expect any particular satisfaction from LR.
Post #1039757 12th Jul 2024 8:05am
trollx

Poland 
HVAC
I've done little bit more research and actually I've found some similar stories about HVAC that was turning on. That's what exactly happened. HVAC turned on (although the car was off for several hours) and started to work like crazy. That overloaded the fuses and I think it was the reason why the fire started. The question remains -> why HVAC launched itself.
Post #1039762 12th Jul 2024 8:48am
Moo

Ukraine 
My mates RRS Hybrid. Spontaneously combusted on the motorway. Less than six months old.

Click image to enlarge
 Eiger Grey MY23 D250 SE with bits. Known as Noddy.
Post #1039765 12th Jul 2024 9:11am
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's not confined to Land Rover products.

Type in any manufacturer followed by "fire" and you'll see similar.
l tried
Ferrari, Ford, Vauxhall, Honda followed by "car fire" and found similar stories and various recalls.

With vehicle fires it can be complicated, it's often difficult to determine what happened and the owners insurance ends up paying out.
Post #1039768 12th Jul 2024 9:27am
chpsk8

United States 
It is considered an unplanned thermal event. Nothing to see here... Whistle Laughing

Good Luck OP - we hope JLR can sort this out to your satisfaction
Post #1039802 12th Jul 2024 6:57pm
stevemfr

France 
Re: HVAC
trollx wrote:
I've done little bit more research and actually I've found some similar stories about HVAC that was turning on. That's what exactly happened. HVAC turned on (although the car was off for several hours) and started to work like crazy. That overloaded the fuses and I think it was the reason why the fire started. The question remains -> why HVAC launched itself.

No, actually the question remains - what caused the fire.

Fuses are there to 'burn' through when they are overloaded. And the 'burn' can NOT cause a fire. It just melts a wire of a specific current carrying capacity.

Regardless of what turned on when, it should not be possible for the car to catch fire. Period. Any system in the vehicle at any time. The worst case should be flat batteries and, possibly, popped ('burnt' through) fuses.

Where was the fire and how did you stop it? 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1039834 13th Jul 2024 10:20am
trollx

Poland 
The fire started in or near Engine Junction Box. Once I noticed the fire I just started to pour water on it from a hose.

And just to give you an update ->

I just received a letter from LR with contract proposal that they want me to sign. In summary ->
- they will contact my insurance and they will lead that case in my name
- if for some reason insurance will tell them it's not willing to pay -> I will be charged.

I also learned that under warranty LR policy bans to fix any car that went through fire.

Nice approach Smile
Post #1040007 15th Jul 2024 12:26pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
lt's a difficult one with car fires.

The issue would be to determine what caused the fire. Was it an electrical failure, something like a stone flying up from the road causing damage, an animal gnawed through wiring (more common than you might think) or even someone tampered with the vehicle.

You may have to commission an independent inspection of the vehicle to try and determine the cause of the fire.
Post #1040015 15th Jul 2024 1:41pm
stevemfr

France 
If all is as you say, it's a load of crap from LR. Hire a lawyer and escalate the case to LR Poland (not just your local dealer) immediately. Or contact JLR in the UK.

And lightning's advice is gold - have an independent expertise done before LR get's hold of the vehicle. But your lawyer should take care of that. 
RRC 2Dr, RRC 4Dr,
P38, and 2 L322s,
2 FL1s and a L663 on the way
Post #1040018 15th Jul 2024 2:13pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1