Home > Puma (Tdci) > Stumbling and Jerky
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
hrat2

United States 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Auto Baltic Blue
Stumbling and Jerky
Hi all,

Just wondering of anyone has had issues with their 2.4 puma stumbling and jerking when getting on throttle in the higher gears (4th, 5th, 6th)? 1st, 2nd, 3rd pull really well but you shift up and it starts to lose power, you can hear the turbo shut off. When cruising in the higher gears when you let off throttle (Like when following a car) and then when you start to get back on throttle it will initially stumble and jerk for a moment before blowing black smoking and taking off. Any ideas? VCV? ECU? Injectors?

Thanks!
Post #1042860 15th Aug 2024 9:29pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
If you have a code reader you could see if their are any DTC’s . The absence of which generally point to a VCV which is a real issue with the 2.4’s.
My initial view is fuel filter then VCV if no DTC’s.

Also lubricate the turbo actuator linkages with a light oil, they may be sticking.

If VCV you need a genuine Denso from a trusted supplier as their are many fakes out there.

Ps. I have my first, and best, Catfish and chips in Atlanta 25years ago Very Happy
Post #1042862 15th Aug 2024 10:04pm
ickle

France 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Alpine White
Aa above for the problems, but off topic, how have you managed to register a 2007 Puma in the US of A?

I thought they were a 'banned' vehicle due to crash safety etc until they reached classic 25 year status?

Cheers Keith
Post #1042882 16th Aug 2024 7:38am
custom90

United Kingdom 
Clutch switch, VCV, most likely. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1042895 16th Aug 2024 9:52am
Will@LRW

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
ickle wrote:
Aa above for the problems, but off topic, how have you managed to register a 2007 Puma in the US of A?

I thought they were a 'banned' vehicle due to crash safety etc until they reached classic 25 year status?

Cheers Keith

Since the crushing incident in 2013, a lot of law suits flew around and things have relaxed a bit, or maybe there are some more loopholes. There are quite a few Pumas in the US, or older Defenders with Puma engines.

My old 1992 Defender went to the US in 2022 (not by me) and it wasn't on its original chassis... LR Workshop
Find a Defender's history and spec: https://defender.lrworkshop.com
Post #1042953 16th Aug 2024 7:56pm
hrat2

United States 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Auto Baltic Blue
Turns out it was the VCV, went ahead and did a full service and replaced the clutch switch as well. There are a few loopholes to get them over to US if you're willing to put up the $$ its fully legal just takes time and patience. Is the VCV a normal maintenance item or just a one time replace? Do you remember the catfish restaurant in Atlanta???
Post #1043235 19th Aug 2024 8:37pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
VCV is serviceable (by replacement - should have made that clear), it should have a relatively long life but often isn’t always the case, and some people have some bad luck with them.
It’s sort of on par with the coolant, you should really get a minimum of 5 years service at least if not double that.

The PRV is usually fine left well along, and there isn’t a learn required.
I found when I changed mine it made a huge amount of difference to power, especially in higher gears. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧

Last edited by custom90 on 20th Aug 2024 6:00pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #1043255 19th Aug 2024 10:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
hrat2 wrote:
Turns out it was the VCV

It usually is. Anytime you have rough or hesitant running, particularly when sudden changes in demand on the engine are made, and there are no DTCs, think VCV.

hrat2 wrote:
Is the VCV a normal maintenance item or just a one time replace?

It is a non-serviceable throw-away part. There are many cheap and even counterfeit parts on the market and these are worth avoiding since they either have very short service lives or simply don't work at all. In my experience (over 14 years and 275k miles with my 2.4) a quality VCV has a life expectancy of around five years and 80-100k miles on a daily use vehicle. It is likely to be less on a vehicle used irregularly (VCVs don't generally wear out, they seize up).

If you get dirt or water in the fuel it will kill the VCV very quickly, and if you have had water or dirt ingress it is advisable to change the VCV as a matter of routine.

A defective VCV very seldom produces any DTCs on the ECM, but you may be able to spot fuel rail irregularities if you have the abiity to monitor FRP in real time. Generally it is the absence of any DTCs which points to the VCV.
Post #1043278 20th Aug 2024 9:30am
custom90

United Kingdom 
It’s almost like LR planned it that no DTC would be produced so it would be brought in with engine or fuel trouble. Whistle

New fuel pump sir?
Wink

Laughing NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #1043333 20th Aug 2024 6:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1