↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics (L663) > Speed limit in dash - Is this a change in the latest update
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gareth

England 
Speed limit in dash - Is this a change in the latest update
I was towing the caravan yesterday and noticed that the speed limit notification in the speedometer showed 60 mph when on dual carriageway and motorway. This is of course correct for a car towing a trailer.

I seem to recall that the speed limiter didn’t used to recognise the fact a trailer was hitched up.

Am I imagining this or has it always been like this? 2021 Defender 110 X-Dynamic HSE D300 MHEV
1966 S2a 109 aka Betsy
1968 S2a 88 aka Bob
2014 Jaaaag F Type 3.0 Supercharged.
Post #1038612 28th Jun 2024 10:20am
LandyMax

England 
It's always done it in my 90 and my wife's Evoque. Strangely, my 90 is a commercial but it shows car speed limits when I'm not towing.
Post #1038621 28th Jun 2024 11:58am
jomara

Scotland 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
The speed limits for Defenders are the same as cars on dual carriageways and motorways as they're classed as car derived vans. 2014 110 2.2TDCi XS Station wagon
1971 Bowler Tomcat 88 4.2 V8 Auto
2022 110 D250 XS Edition - Gone
2024 110 D250 X-Dynamic HSE
Post #1038627 28th Jun 2024 1:42pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
jomara wrote:
The speed limits for Defenders are the same as cars on dual carriageways and motorways as they're classed as car derived vans.

No they are not, they CANNOT be car-derived vans, they don't even begin to meet the requirements to be Car-Derived Vans. Inter alia to be a CDV a vehicle must have a gross laden weight not exceeding 2000kg, and a new Defender is more than that unladen.

Classic Defenders are subject (almost without exception) to car speed limits by virtue of the fact that they are Dual Purpose Vehicles. One of the essential requirements of a DPV is that its unladen weight does not exceed 2040kg.

The new Defender has a much greater unladen weight (Landrover quotes 2,316kg for a 90, although I am not sure if this is a commercial-spec version and it includes a 75kg driver) than the old, and, unless the commercial spec comes in at 2040kg or less unladen, it is not a Dual Purpose Vehicle and therefore is subject to light commercial speed limits. it is unlikely that a commercial spec ND is 1/3rd of a tonne lighter than a non-commercial version.

This is a subject which has been done to death on this forum over the years and it is a shame that the Internet is still alive with people mistakenly peddling completely false and misleading information when it is so easy to establish the facts.
Post #1038633 28th Jun 2024 2:35pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
The whole van/car derived van thing is a nightmare, don't even get started on VW campervans, the discussion went on for years.

But yes, the Defender Commercial is subject to commercial vehicle speed limits. The old Defenders were all "Commercial" after 2011 but as above, they are classed as dual purpose so while they are "Commercial" with DVLA they aren't with HMRC
Post #1038648 28th Jun 2024 4:35pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
lightning wrote:
The whole van/car derived van thing is a nightmare...

It really isn't, but it is made unnecessarily confusing by the fact that people who appear to have zero grasp of the situation will keep making misleading statements on the Internet in a pseudo-authoritative manner, thereby creating and perpetuating confusion! Laughing

lightning wrote:
... But yes, the Defender Commercial is subject to commercial vehicle speed limits. The old Defenders were all "Commercial" after 2011 but as above, they are classed as dual purpose so while they are "Commercial" with DVLA they aren't with HMRC

Which, whilst not strictly incorrect, is a misleading statement because neither the DVLA nor HMRC has anything to do with speed limits, and of course the DVLA is simply a recorder of information and makes (and can make) no decisions about these things.

There are also some pre-2016 Defenders which are Type Approved as N1 under the EWVTA Regs but which are not DPVs, but these are relatively thin on the ground.
Post #1038659 28th Jun 2024 5:58pm
Clemmo

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Stornoway Grey
A software update some 12mnths ago corrected the speed limit shown in a commercial Defender.
It is now correct to the law and frequently shows 60 where a non Van can do 70

Clemmo Thumbs Up Make today a little better than yesterday but not so good as tomorrow....
Defender 90 HT............Pangea Green
BMW X3 Msport............Carbon Black
Mini Electric................Grey. (wow!)
MGB Roadster……..........Vermillion
Honda Benly CD200....Maroon ------------- Chausson 98.........7.5m of fun
Post #1038677 28th Jun 2024 10:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1