↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > 130 > Rear shock absorbers
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Organised Chaos

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
Rear shock absorbers
I have a 2008 130 chassis cab which had a tipper back fitted. When it was in for a service and MOT earlier this year it got an advisory for rear shock absorber lower bushes and the dealer wanted £100 to change the 4 bushes which cost a couple of quid, needless to say I declined the offer. So before its next MOT I was going to fit new shock absorbers to replace the original factory fitted ones. but there seems to be a lot of different part numbers out there for the different makes of shock absorbers. So looking to the vast knowledge of the forum for ideas and part numbers for suitable replacement shock absorbers.
Post #1037735 18th Jun 2024 7:07am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Tbh any shocks will be fine. Only real difference is latter axles have a slight change for the lower bush. But fitment is the same. So just buy for the year.

A twin tube shock would probably work well if you are loading the vehicle (being a tipper I assume you will be). A good budget option is the Britpart Cellular Dynamic. But there are lots of shocks to choose from.
Post #1037761 18th Jun 2024 11:21am
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
LR Workshop website lists the rear shock for 130 as part no.LR044348. As has been said before by a number of owners the original LR factory shocks are very good quality and last well. Replacing like for like you know what you're getting in terms of quality and damping.
Post #1037768 18th Jun 2024 12:36pm
alwoodley72

England 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Alaska White
I put old man emu shocks on the rear of my 130, one of the best changes I’ve made, will do the fronts when funds and time allows after m57 transplant!..

Click image to enlarge

Runs pretty heavy most of the time, really firmed up the handling.. has helper springs too as yours should…
Cheers alex 98 300 tdi 90 project
94 Range Rover vogue 4.2 lse
79 911 sc
08 130 double cab utility
Post #1037770 18th Jun 2024 12:50pm
Organised Chaos

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 130 Puma 2.4 HCPU Cairns Blue
yes it is a bit of a minefield that many part numbers and makes to choose from but will probably end up buying a pair of original ones as those that are fitted have lasted 16 years, but the part number LR044348 comes up with several different makes of shock absorbers from britpart, builder ridge, boge and pr2 pro. The Britpart Cellular Dynamic ones only seem to go up to the TD5 defender.
Post #1037832 18th Jun 2024 10:35pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
OME HD on my 130, pin pin setup,rides well like this. Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #1037845 19th Jun 2024 9:11am
Chicken Drumstick

United Kingdom 
Organised Chaos wrote:
yes it is a bit of a minefield that many part numbers and makes to choose from but will probably end up buying a pair of original ones as those that are fitted have lasted 16 years, but the part number LR044348 comes up with several different makes of shock absorbers from britpart, builder ridge, boge and pr2 pro. The Britpart Cellular Dynamic ones only seem to go up to the TD5 defender.

I don’t have a 130. I assume they are standard fitment shocks, eye top and pin bottom. Might be worth eyeballing before buying. But don’t see why they wouldn’t be.

As far as I know. The shocks are all the same. The change is the small retaining cup for the lower bush. Can’t recall off the top of my head which way round. But some axles have a cup welded to the lower mount. Others don’t. This is the only change. So the different kits just have a different number of washers.

I think the change was introduced around the Td5 model. So you only get before and after. These should fit you vehicle:

https://www.paddockspares.com/dc6001td5-br...59807.html

Personally I would avoid the black budget Britpart shocks. Most other pattern parts will be ok but probably lower quality than the originals. Therefore if you want standard like for like Genuine OEM would be the way to go. But may be pricey. If you are selling the vehicle on. Any standard pattern part will be fine. Just don’t expect anything radical from them.

The main difference is switching to a twin tube or gas shock as an upgrade. These will generally give better damping control over wider ranges. But it can depend on your goals. I will still personally suggest the Britpart Celluar Dynamic shock. Slightly stiffer than a stock shock. But offering a lot more damping control (less crash on rough roads and pot holes and maybe less lean in the corners). The twin tube design means the shock will work better under higher load conditions too such as hauling stuff and/or towing.
Post #1037847 19th Jun 2024 9:23am
Jabberwocky

Luxembourg 
I have brit part HD Springs and 4 x Super gaz dampers on the rear of my 130 camper, they have dramatically improved the handling, even taking into consideration replacing old OEM with new aftermarket. The cost saving over something like OME is dramatic and they do the job. With the old OEM setup my camper would rock side to side quite alarmingly if you put one side into a rut, the new setup has stopped that completely. On road handling has improved significantly as well.
Post #1044562 2nd Sep 2024 1:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1