↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Expensive mistake - exhaust over estimation
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
2096VC

United Kingdom 
Expensive mistake - exhaust over estimation
I recently bought a TD5 90, and decided I’d like a little more noise. I thought putting a centre pipe delete was going to make a big difference. Today I removed the centre pipe and back box, and with the exhaust off I drove it off the ramps - I was shocked how little difference there was to the exhaust tone with no mid or tailpipe silencers - it sounded pretty much the same. Realised now I need a decat and straight pipe…now scouring the internet for suitable replacements!
Post #1036209 31st May 2024 10:28pm
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
The cat seems to do most of the silencing on a Td5, removing the rear and centre box while leaving the cat makes little difference.

Decat, straight centre pipe and standard back box sounds good although I am sure you know that a decat is technically illegal and should fail the MOT. Completely straight through all the way is far too loud IMO. BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #1036218 31st May 2024 11:18pm
rustandoil

England 2005 Defender 110 Td5 XS DCPU Bonatti Grey
Have a look at Demand exhausts... They are going to get my money... 👍🏻
Post #1036225 1st Jun 2024 7:04am
MarkBrown

United Kingdom 1983 Defender 110 Other HT Auto Keswick Green
I’ve had a few custom exhaust systems made, I was told that with a petrol engine the problem was not making them too loud and with a diesel they often struggle to get them loud enough.

A friend had a Td5 disco with no centre box and it was noisy, but I don’t think it had a catalytic converter.

There’s a guy who had a YouTube channel ( Boris the Defender ) who has a Demand system fitted to his tdi which sounds nice and also another channel ( The Kooks Group ) features a chap who’s fitted a td5 into a series 1, that sounds fantastic. It’s probably a home made system though.

Someone on here may well live close to you with something that you can see and have a ride along with.
Post #1036230 1st Jun 2024 9:36am
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
You need to remove the CAT on the td5 and the Tdci to get any noise out of them. I’ve got a spare decat pipe in my garage, but the postage would kill any chance of a deal I would think.

A quality pipe has a better sound than a cheap/thin exhaust and if you want quality check out demand engineering.
Post #1036236 1st Jun 2024 10:35am
2096VC

United Kingdom 
Thanks for the replies. In all honesty I should have talked to my neighbours - 2 of them have TD5’s which are tuned. One of them doesn’t have a decant but has a Double S (?) sport exhaust - I thought that sounded ok - he said he has a standard downpipe but when I took all my exhaust off I realised it doesn’t matter what I add to my downpipe - it won’t make it sound “better”. My other neighbour has a decat straight through 3” exhaust - and it sounds great - I should have paid more attention to that in the first place!

Luckily - we have an understanding local MOT place that will not question the missing 🐈‍⬛
Post #1036265 1st Jun 2024 10:31pm
2096VC

United Kingdom 
mini Anaconda wrote:
The cat seems to do most of the silencing on a Td5, removing the rear and centre box while leaving the cat makes little difference.

Decat, straight centre pipe and standard back box sounds good although I am sure you know that a decat is technically illegal and should fail the MOT. Completely straight through all the way is far too loud IMO.

Decat downpipe, straight through mid box and a silenced back box is on the cards now.
Post #1036266 1st Jun 2024 10:33pm
2096VC

United Kingdom 
As a follow up - I did fit a decat down pipe, straight through centre, and a standard rear pipe - so one silencer overall - and it sounds perfect.
Post #1037657 17th Jun 2024 8:35am
shaynecm

United Kingdom 
Post #1037669 17th Jun 2024 9:45am
mini Anaconda

United Kingdom 
2096VC wrote:
As a follow up - I did fit a decat down pipe, straight through centre, and a standard rear pipe - so one silencer overall - and it sounds perfect.

Is it anti-social load or sounding good without being OTT? BORG - Bucks & Oxon 4x4 Response Group
Post #1037688 17th Jun 2024 4:02pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1