↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > In Car Electronics > Defender 110 Puma 2.2 rear door lock actuator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
GJO

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 Heritage Edition SW Grasmere Green
Defender 110 Puma 2.2 rear door lock actuator
Hello, I'm new here. I have searched, but nothing exactly matches my issue, so hope you can help.

I have an LHD 2016 110 Puma 2.2 and one of the rear passenger doors doesn't lock and unlock with the central locking.

Having removed the door card, the I have tested the cable and it is fine, it gets power. I have also tried swapping with a working actuator, but it will still not activate with the fob.

Is there a relay or something specific to each door, is it not getting the right signal to unlock somehow? I'm a little stuck at this point.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.
Post #1035521 23rd May 2024 10:10pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
Here is the wiring diagram for the LHD 2.2 (2012-2014) . See page 3 for the central locking wiring.

https://www.lrworkshop.com/wiring-diagram/...tem/active

You will see there are no relays involved between the alarm module and the door locking actuators and the non drivers doors have 2 wires to each actuator. So if it still does not work with a known good actuator, I.e the actuator does not operate and the linkages are connected and not seized, and can be operated manually to lock the door and move easy, it’s a wiring fault and you will need to tap out each wire. Noting it could be high resistance or partially broke.

Noting on a Puma 110 the rear passenger doors do suffer from fractures in the wiring between the door and the pillar.

Ps have you tested the actuator from the door that has the fault to confirm it’s working ok ?
Post #1035522 23rd May 2024 10:33pm
GJO

Is there a simple way to test the actuator with a battery?
Post #1035530 24th May 2024 12:16am
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
Re: Defender 110 Puma 2.2 rear door lock actuator
GJO wrote:
Hello, I'm new here. I have searched, but nothing exactly matches my issue, so hope you can help.

I have an LHD 2016 110 Puma 2.2 and one of the rear passenger doors doesn't lock and unlock with the central locking.

Having removed the door card, the I have tested the cable and it is fine, it gets power. I have also tried swapping with a working actuator, but it will still not activate with the fob.

Is there a relay or something specific to each door, is it not getting the right signal to unlock somehow? I'm a little stuck at this point.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

You said you swapped a working actuator onto that door but it wouldn't activate with the key. Have you tried connecting the actuator from the dodgy door to a door that will unlock with the key fob? I would think that given a known working actuator didn't work on that door that there is a wiring fault.

How did you test the cable? Did you get volts on the orange wire and an earth on the pink? My understanding of the Td5 system (Puma is the same I believe) is that when you unlock with the fob, the orange wire is live with 12v and the pink wire provides a route earth via the alarm ECU and vice versa when you lock

The wiring might have shown 12v when tested with a meter but may suffer a voltage drop when a resistance is applied, i.e. the actuator. The wires could have been pinched in the door jam and while testing Ok with a meter there is a voltage drop when any load is introduced. You should also check if the pink wire gives a route to earth when the fob is triggered.

Last edited by Penfold_6290 on 24th May 2024 5:46pm. Edited 3 times in total
Post #1035590 24th May 2024 5:33pm
GJO

By “working” it was a replacement aftermarket actuator, it may have been DOA. I want to bench test it before pulling the door apart again.
Post #1035591 24th May 2024 5:36pm
Penfold_6290

Test by applying 12v to the orange wire and an earth to the pink wire, or the terminals that would accommodate the orange and pink wires. Carefully....
Post #1035592 24th May 2024 5:39pm
Penfold_6290

From the Td5 electrical library, Puma should be identical.

The pink and orange wires alternate between being live or providing an earth depending on whether you are unlocking or locking.

Click image to enlarge
Post #1035593 24th May 2024 5:42pm
GJO

Great info, thank you very much!
Post #1035705 25th May 2024 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1