↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > General & Technical (L663) > Modifications and insurance
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
lightning

United Kingdom 
Modifications and insurance
Be sure to tell your insurance if you add any extras to your Defender.

This includes tow bars and side steps.
However if the Defender was delivered from the FACTORY with these or any other accessories fitted it's normally not counted as a "modification"

l just had this discussion with my insurance. They were fine with the tow bar because it was factory fit. But the side steps were classed as a "modification" and resulted in a premium increase of £31.

Be aware that non-declared modifications can invalidate your policy.

l realise most people know this, but there's been an increase in policies not paying out due to inaccuracies in the policy.

You've not much comeback if the insurer refuses to pay out in this instance. lt's down to you, to tell them if you fit anything to your vehicle.
Post #1013079 29th Oct 2023 12:10pm
Soup Dragon

It’s a no win.

Tell them about it and, however minor or cosmetic, they use it as an excuse to hike up the premium by a disproportionate amount.

Don’t tell them and they use it as an excuse not to pay up.

Had considered asking the dealer to fit chequer plate corner panels and wheel arch trim, but will probably give it as miss for this reason. Premiums are high enough and I think honesty is the best approach when it comes to insuring a £60k asset.
Post #1013090 29th Oct 2023 2:42pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
Spot on, I’m adding 3rd party side steps when they eventually arrive and will be advising them. It’s also important to tell them your using winter tyres if you are. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #1013092 29th Oct 2023 3:07pm
DefenderMidlands

United Kingdom 
I don’t believe they can actually invalidate your insurance. I believe they can only make you pay the difference on what the premium would have been with the modifications you made.

Obviously if you made some major modifications especially performance based they may not insure you so not sure how that would work then. MY23 D250 Defender 110 X-Dynamic SE, Carpathian Grey, 7 Seat, Electric Towbar
Post #1013098 29th Oct 2023 4:19pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
ln my experience it doesn't usually increase the premium anyway.

They charged me £30 for the side steps because it was a "mid term policy change" and there's a charge for that.
The actual premium didn't increase.

I also can't see how the insurance company could refuse to pay out for something like side steps. lf so, they wouldn't be paying out on many classic Defender policies!

A roof spoiler or alloys would be different as they could argue it makes the vehicle more attractive to thieves.

Has anyone actually ever heard of an insurance claim being refused because of some accessory that's been fitted such as lamp guards or chequer plate?

My old Defender had loads of modifications, cruise, lamp guards, anti roll bars, chequer plate sill covers,upgraded lights, different seats, upgraded audio system, heated screen, dog guard, seat risers, wind deflectors

Which ones did the insurance know about? Well l tried to list them
all on the policy but some were not recognised.

For instance would an aftermarket cruise control be classed as important?
Post #1013121 29th Oct 2023 6:53pm
Tim in Scotland

When I had my 1996 Tdi300 90 I told the insurance that it had had a new chassis, all new suspension components and the brakes upgraded - they weren’t interested all that they wanted to know was if I had made any changes to the engine/ drive train. A few years later I added a hydraulic Milemarker winch - not interested but I still informed them. I then changed from Land Rover Insurance to NFU and I added an Optimil removable steering wheel and swivel lock - the local NFU office manager wanted to see the car! Turned out the branch manager was fascinated by my security device and wanted to see it as he also had an older Defender. Result - NFU reduced my premium by £50 and Optimil sold another removable steering wheel and swivel lock! Pangea Green D250 90 HSE with Air Suspension, Off-road Pack, Towing Pack, Black Contrast roof , rear recovery eyes, Front bash plate, Classic flaps all round, extended wheel arch kit and a few bits from PowerfulUK Expel Clear Gloss PPF to come
2020 D240 1st Edition in Pangea Green with Acorn interior. Now gone - old faithful, no mechanical issues whatsoever ever but the leaks and rattles all over the place won’t be missed!
Post #1013124 29th Oct 2023 7:08pm
Nuclear Nick

United Kingdom 
RDR wrote:
Spot on, I’m adding 3rd party side steps when they eventually arrive and will be advising them. It’s also important to tell them your using winter tyres if you are.

I believe most, if not all, insurers nowadays accept winter tyres as not being classed as a modification. Of course it’s best to stick to the manufacturer’s recommendations on tyres and wheels as going outside this could be classed as a modification. As always though, if in doubt, tell your insurer of any changes.
Post #1013139 29th Oct 2023 10:03pm
ScarboroughSeadog

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Keswick Green
I have to say some people can I think get too conservative to the extent of paranoia on this issue. Modifications of interest to insurers are not things like adding checker plate in a ‘normal’ way (not restricting vision etc), or fitting ‘normal’ side steps. If you call your insurer to list your ‘modification’ they will inevitably charge you for their time considering (if nothing else). However, I can’t see a claim being refused for checker plate, tow hitch (unless towing prevented under the policy), roof rack, side steps etc. etc. Modification may be a Defined Term in the policy- have a read if concerned.
If you insure at the bargain basement end you may have issues with a claim in any event, but aside from that I think most right headed drivers know what constitutes a modification likely to be of interest to insurers. Be sensible, but not paranoid.
Post #1013141 29th Oct 2023 10:26pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
Agree. Having just insured a bike with at least 30+ modifications, I told the insurance broker not to go their as she wouldn't understand 95% of what I would list. She agreed and then asked would the £6300 valuation for the bike cover the cost. Yes as that's what I paid for it.
Post #1013150 29th Oct 2023 11:35pm
seriesonenut

United Kingdom 
I was once declined renewal after informing them I had a genuine roof rack on my 110 USW and that was a well known insurer.

This year I insured it as a 'van' , it was on the insurance companies database, the drop down menu included roof racks, tow bars, winches, load guards etc. Refreshing!

I insured is as private use only, all the normal NCB protection was available. 2010 XS USW
1957 Series One 88 diesel
1958 Series One 88 4x2
Post #1013161 30th Oct 2023 9:36am
ScarboroughSeadog

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 DCPU Keswick Green
Mine is insured as a commercial vehicle as well- hadn’t considered that included various add ons, but perhaps that explains the additional premium for commercial vehicles (for private use).
Post #1013169 30th Oct 2023 10:40am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
ScarboroughSeadog wrote:
I have to say some people can I think get too conservative to the extent of paranoia on this issue. Modifications of interest to insurers are not things like adding checker plate in a ‘normal’ way (not restricting vision etc), or fitting ‘normal’ side steps. If you call your insurer to list your ‘modification’ they will inevitably charge you for their time considering (if nothing else). However, I can’t see a claim being refused for checker plate, tow hitch (unless towing prevented under the policy), roof rack, side steps etc. etc. Modification may be a Defined Term in the policy- have a read if concerned.
If you insure at the bargain basement end you may have issues with a claim in any event, but aside from that I think most right headed drivers know what constitutes a modification likely to be of interest to insurers. Be sensible, but not paranoid.

I think that there are two things which will get you into serious strife.

One is if you knowingly make an untrue statement when taking out the insurance, since doing so will in effect invalidate the contract between you and the insurance company. An example might be declaring you have no convictions when in fact you have many.

The second is if you have an undeclared modification which materially affects the insured risk. An example might be failing to declare that you have a bull-bar and bush wires fitted, since this materially increases the risk of pedestrian injury.

In either case, if the problem came to light as the result of a claim I believe that it is normal for the insurer to act as though you have 3rd-party RTA cover, so 3rd-party claims by and large will be paid. It is highly likely that the insurer will then try to recover their costs from you, and will also decline to have any further insurance dealing with you (and this in turn becomes a material fact you are required to declare when taking out new insurance).

As a general rule I do think you are well advised to declare all non-standard modifications to the vehicle and non-standard uses to which you may put the vehicle, even if only so that you can prove that you have done so at a later date. If the insurer doesn't understand what you are telling them, it is not your problem but keep the evidence that you have told them.

Some years ago my father had the misfortune to be in a head-on collision of some magnitude with a car overtaking towards him on a blind bend. The impact speed was probably in the region of 80mph, the impact destroyed the front of his company Granada to the extent that the pedal box was pushed back into the seat, breaking his legs. The other car then left the road, hit the parapet of a culvert, and broke into several pieces. The driver of the oncoming vehicle was an illegal immigrant who had no UK driving licence and was uninsured, however to the great good fortune of my father the owner of the vehicle, who had insurance cover (at what level I don't know), was in the passenger seat. The insurer decided that this indicated that the driver was acting with the permission of the owner although outside the terms of the insurance, and settled the entire third-party claim. I do not know what became of the owner or driver of the other car (I believe that after several months in hospital - no doubt at our expense - he was deported).

My father said that the most distasteful part of the whole episode was coming round in the ICU in hopsital to find that the driver and owner of the other vehicle were in the beds adjacent to his!
Post #1013210 30th Oct 2023 3:53pm
pjm-84

United Kingdom 
If there was a modification on the bike that could or result or attribute to an accident I would tell them.

For example the bike has a camel right foot peg brace?, a camel toe side stand (easy one) and camel screen supports (easy one).

It also has an powered quadlock and a 12v accessory socket. Adjustable levers (hands come in different sizes) and a enlarged rear brake pedal for enduro boots (feet come in different sizes) along with pivot pegs. A few stickers and a rally seat (insurance risk on a seat?). It has Denali spotlights (better visibility / cheaper insurance?). I could go on but it would be boring.

A few years back I went through this on my VW California. All options had to be listed. None affects the driving of the vehicle but the valuation. I even told them about the rechargeable torch (was an optional extra and part of a pack!)
Post #1013219 30th Oct 2023 5:04pm
lightning

United Kingdom 
l spoke to the insurance again today.

They don't mind wind deflectors.
A roof spoiler will be an extra £56 on the premium (good job l am not fitting it then)
Lamp guards are fine.

They are more concerned with things like "LPG conversions and engine upgrades"
Post #1013236 30th Oct 2023 7:06pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
As I recall the Liverpool Arena car park fire was attributed to a hooky LPG conversion on a Range Rover so I imagine LPG conversions are a sensitive issue with insurers.

£50M plus claims probably tend to do that!
Post #1013262 30th Oct 2023 8:38pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>