↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Suspension: retained coils vs. dislocated coils
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
tuesdayfox

2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Zambezi Silver
Suspension: retained coils vs. dislocated coils
Hi all,
I have read a couple other posts discussing dislocation coils vs retained coil and have several questions. I am a newbie and in the process of setting up my 110. Please don't hesitate to point out my foolishness.

So my understanding is that retained coils will provide additional downward pressure to the dropped wheels even in extreme articulation. The key is to fit extra long coils on both side, so that even in extreme articulation, both coils are still under compression rather than one in compress the other in extension, thus the downward pressure. (The fulcrum at which the axle rotates is determined by the suspension linkages.)Such is the retained coil we discussed, not those cases with the usage of hose clamps to secure the coil to the chassis side mount. such is merely method to make sure the coils don't fall out.

As for the dislocation coils, in articulation, only one coil is under compression, while the other (the dropped wheel side) is hanging at its normal height.

Is my understanding correct? So my question really is, for dislocation coils, the dropped wheels doesn't have any downward pressure and will only provide little support the weight of the vehicle. It merely touches the ground, providing the looks of a stable truck with four wheels on the ground. However the truck will still be wobbly and the dropped wheel only provide minimal traction.so what is the real benefit of dislocation coils? Other than looks great?(they do look very cool)

And finally was wondering, will the retained, always-under-compression coils harms the spring mounts? Is it likely that the rear spring mounts crack?

Thanks in advance
Martin
Post #555684 13th Aug 2016 3:29am
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
Hi Martin I'm not an off roader but do follow several

there are some threads on here about this subject but I cant seem to find them,

The question you ask only really becomes an issue if you are planning on doing extreme off roading and to get to this point requires the modification of loads of other suspension parts such as all the pivot points, the shocks, removing the ARBs and getting extreme angle props.

a lot of people are of the view that how to keep going in the rough is to worry less about articulation even if it leads to waving a wheel in the air and concentrate on improving traction,

if your 110 has traction control then even if a wheel or 2 is off the ground it should transfer power to the other 2 or 3 wheels.

if you do have traction control you then just need the best tyres for the ground you are driving on, if you have not got traction control then locking or limited slip diffs will keep you going, these items wont effect the on road performance and remain hidden until in use,(and can cost less than fancy suspension set ups) again the right tyre make a big difference

Im sure experienced off roaders will be along soon to give more advice DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #555687 13th Aug 2016 6:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1