↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Red Booster.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
andy63

United Kingdom 
that sounds like a good set up which ive given a bit thought to trying, but other jobs have been getting in the way... can you give us a clue what transducer you got and where from.. whilst my set up is working well my system doesn't hold the vacuum for more than a few min after the engine is shut down...not sure where it is loosing it from, im guessing it could be any of the connections which if I remember were all just pushed on and I can't recall using clips..
Post #1000421 16th Jul 2023 6:21pm
B4Lamb

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Galway Green
Hi there yes the transducer was bought via ebay. They are still available. Search for Gas Pressure Sensor Transmitter Module Negative Peessure -100 to 0 kPa. I have found an item on ebay that is the same it's eBay Item No. 254670377358 there are several sellers though. They cost about £5.30 with postage. Note these are chips so you need to really make a circuit board to mount them. They produce an analogue output inversely proportional to vacuum between 1 and 4 Volts so you need to power them with a regulated 5 V dc supply. If you are not into electronics you may struggle. I used a small 8 pin microcontroller to monitor the output and do the job of A to D conversion and to drive the Mosfet gate for powering the Vac pump. If you want a simpler arrangement a simple switch and a relay that you operate when you turn on the ignition that powers the vac pump to get you a good vacuum may be suitable for your needs. The vac pump I used (also through ebay) draws 5 to 6 Amps so that's why it's best to drive with a relay or a Power Mosfet not directly by a switch. The pumps are also a very inductive load so you need to use a Diode across your relay contacts or Mosfet to deal with the negative switch off spike to protect your relay contacts or Mosfet.

Your Vac leak parh can be anywhere but I found if you don't used Jubilee or equivalent clips you generally cannot assure a gas tight seal. Silicone tubing is best I found or the butyl rubber tubing supplied with the Red Booster seems good but only with clips. The Non Return valves are also a potential leak path so maybe worth replacing.

Good Luck. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #1000432 16th Jul 2023 8:33pm
B4Lamb

Sorry Andy66 slight error the vac sensor outputs 0.5 to 4.5 Volts. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #1000461 17th Jul 2023 6:09am
andy63

United Kingdom 
B4Lamb wrote:
Hi there yes the transducer was bought via ebay. They are still available. Search for Gas Pressure Sensor Transmitter Module Negative Peessure -100 to 0 kPa. I have found an item on ebay that is the same it's eBay Item No. 254670377358 there are several sellers though. They cost about £5.30 with postage. Note these are chips so you need to really make a circuit board to mount them. They produce an analogue output inversely proportional to vacuum between 1 and 4 Volts so you need to power them with a regulated 5 V dc supply. If you are not into electronics you may struggle. I used a small 8 pin microcontroller to monitor the output and do the job of A to D conversion and to drive the Mosfet gate for powering the Vac pump. If you want a simpler arrangement a simple switch and a relay that you operate when you turn on the ignition that powers the vac pump to get you a good vacuum may be suitable for your needs. The vac pump I used (also through ebay) draws 5 to 6 Amps so that's why it's best to drive with a relay or a Power Mosfet not directly by a switch. The pumps are also a very inductive load so you need to use a Diode across your relay contacts or Mosfet to deal with the negative switch off spike to protect your relay contacts or Mosfet.

Your Vac leak parh can be anywhere but I found if you don't used Jubilee or equivalent clips you generally cannot assure a gas tight seal. Silicone tubing is best I found or the butyl rubber tubing supplied with the Red Booster seems good but only with clips. The Non Return valves are also a potential leak path so maybe worth replacing.

Good Luck.

thanks for taking the time...and when I was thinking about it I had envisaged just connecting the pump to a mechanical switch that just started the pump when the pressure was high and shut it off when a vacuum built up.. the problem I could envisage was making sure the motor did shut down when the engine pump was working....and thats why I would keep the electronic option open, as im sure it can be adjusted to suit..but a bit more involved as its not something im competent with, but given the right information im sure I could manage...
the rapid loss of vacuum is something I could improve on as you say but when all works fine when running I just haven't got round to looking into it..
thanks again @B4Lamb
Post #1000465 17th Jul 2023 7:30am
B4Lamb

Hi Andy63, yes there are mechanical vacuum switches readily available but I've not found one that states its one and off vacuum pressure or the tolerance between switches and the effect of temperature. The electronic solution overcomes all these doubts but maybe the mechanical switch would be perfectly suitable for you. You could easily include an in-line switch to turn it off if it runs on when the engine is running. If you do have a leak path then you will not get the full vacuum pressure which could add to the risk that the mechanical switch may not turn off. Its worth a go though I think. The main reason for the electronic one for my friend was that he noted loss off vacuum when he was in traffic braking and changing gears a lot while towing his caravan. The electronic one turns on his pump before it drops to a noticeable level. This feature also appealed to me but I was also interested in the analogue output of the transducer so I can display the vac pressure on my digital OLED display. "You are never to old to learn something new"
Post #1000484 17th Jul 2023 10:13am
OleDave

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Indus Silver
Hi again guys, have recently read your articles on the pro's and cons of the Red Booster including B4lambs Post which mentions in his post that i fitted the red booster some years ago, hopefully I will be able to expand a bit on his post and offer possible a bit of background to why I fitted it, the results and problems.

The background why I fitted the booster, I have had the Landy about 12 years and very soon after driving it locally it became very apparent that my ageing knees were not up to the job of handling the renowned heavy clutch, I could depress the pedal but could not release it smoothly, after destroying a bollard at our local supermarket when my knee gave out releasing the clutch I had to either look to lighten the clutch or sell my beloved Landy.

After considerable research I read an article on the red booster and decided to invest in the purchase and fitting in the hope it would solve the problem, so I purchased the kit, immediately after fitting it was obvious that my problem of the heavy clutch pedal was solved as I could depress the clutch even with my fingers and to my delight and relief my knee didn't scream at me each time I used the clutch.

After some months of driving, a problem was identified especially in slow moving nose to tail traffic, which was highlighted further when towing our caravan, the extra demand from the booster servo even though the booster had a reservoir the mechanical pump could just not keep up with the vac demand in heavy traffic conditions using brake and clutch often, plus on one occasion to my horror, I parked up on my slightly sloping drive leaving the landy in gear overnight, the vacuum depleted which made it impossible to depress the pedal to get the gearbox into neutral, and with it stuck in gear i could not turn the engine over to build up the vac.

At that point I realised that an electrically operated vacuum pump would be of benifit to overcome both the problem of low vacuum in traffic using clutch and brake constantly and solve the issues of leaving it in gear with the potential problems of a depleated vac system.

I purchased an evac and set about designing a method of mounting it under the bonnet along with connections into the vacuum system including a cab mounted vacuum guage to monitor the conditions at and given moment, my next step was to purches an adjustable vacuum switch to fit into the system to automate the cut in and cut out, I searched endlessly for a suitable switch without any success.

Fortunately B4lamb came to the rescue at this point, using his vast knowledge in the design and manufacture of electronic control systems, he designed, built and programmed a miniature controller with 8 adjustable dip switch settings which I could alter to suit.

The switch was installed with the valuable assistance of b4lamb'-s clear and concise instructions, adjusted and tested, the system has worked flawlessly with some initial tweaking, to date it continues to tirelessly maintain control of the evac automatically and the vacuum system, the red booster and the electronic controller have solved the problem of low vacuum and heavy clutch pedal problems since.

In conclusion guys, I will post a picture of the installation if your interested to give you some ideas on the set up.

Regards to all

Ole Dave
Post #1000679 18th Jul 2023 12:02pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Rural

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Aintree Green
Thanks for the very detailed information.

I have now made the decision, (rightly or wrongly!) & purchased the LOF Power master cylinder & spring kit.
If it does the job, then fine, if it doesn't then at least I've not spent too much & can look at the RB at a later date. Having spent more than intended on a replacement galvanised chassis, plus a Glyn Lewis complete mud flap/ wheel arch kit, I can't currently justify the Red Booster cost.

I too have the knee problem, so I shall see how it goes. Any improvement will be a help, as I have to keep the Landy going & in perfect order, - it being the only vehicle that can access my rural location.
I will report back when I can.
Post #1000687 18th Jul 2023 12:52pm
OleDave

Hi very rural, I have no experience with the LOF system so im unable to comment, will look forward to hearing its a success or not.

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #1000695 18th Jul 2023 1:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Very Rural

Have now fitted the LOF master cylinder/spring combination.
It's definitely made a real difference, obviously not as light as the Red Booster would be but I can now hold the pedal down without my left knee complaining.

I shall see how it goes on a long run..
Post #1004932 21st Aug 2023 8:30am
OleDave

Hi very rural thanks for the post, im pleased to hear that the fitting of the LOF spring option has been a success, my problem was not pressing the clutch in, even though that did hurt, my problem was letting it out as my knee would give way which meant no clutch control, it was either in or out, Nasty experience!!!!!

May I ask if you have that problem or is it just depressing the pedal only you had problems?

The booster I found gives me total control of depressing and release, in fact I found it made gear changes a lot more controllable and smoother with litte or no clanging of the transmission due to the diff and drive shafting clearances catching up.

Many thanks for the contact

Regards

Ole Dave
Post #1005005 21st Aug 2023 5:04pm
Very Rural

Thanks for your interesting reply.

My main problem was pressing the clutch pedal down, & in particular holding it there, for instance when creeping slowly on a congested motorway.

I shall see how it goes, if I do need to I could upgrade to the R.B., but it is an expensive option. Ideally an auto box.... Even more expensive. I do miss my auto Discovery 1, which I sold a few months ago!

David.
Post #1005012 21st Aug 2023 6:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12