↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Newbie:- essential upgrades
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
leeds

United Kingdom 
CityDriver wrote:

Anyone bothered with adding some lights?

Err yes.

If you reverse in awkward places at night time or go camping etc consider some work lights at the rear especially LED as they have much lower current draw. Switched separately from reverse light.

We use Light Force additional lights at the front. Some of them are wired separately from the main light circuit. These are ILLEGAL for road use in the UK wired this way. However it is a big advantage to have a separate light circuit as the main light switch is know to burn out. When it does you will be grateful for the backup system Thumbs Up

Brendan
Post #92678 4th Oct 2011 9:16pm
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The Boy wrote:
if it was me I'd get it undersealed as the first step.

As for a remap I would not do it again. sorry

Why not Justin? John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #92698 4th Oct 2011 10:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CityDriver

United Kingdom 2012 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Orkney Grey
leeds wrote:
CityDriver wrote:

Anyone bothered with adding some lights?

Err yes.

If you reverse in awkward places at night time or go camping etc consider some work lights at the rear especially LED as they have much lower current draw. Switched separately from reverse light.

We use Light Force additional lights at the front. Some of them are wired separately from the main light circuit. These are ILLEGAL for road use in the UK wired this way. However it is a big advantage to have a separate light circuit as the main light switch is know to burn out. When it does you will be grateful for the backup system Thumbs Up

Brendan

This sounds like what exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. What switches did you use for the lights? I am thinking of installing a nice instrument panel with an eye on future "gadgets".
Post #92743 5th Oct 2011 8:52am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
If you've never owned a Defender or done any offroad driving before you start contemplating bells and whistles I'd seriously consider investing in some decent tuition or membership of your local club so that you know what the vehicle is capable of and how to drive it sympathetically. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #92748 5th Oct 2011 9:44am
CityDriver

Miserableolgit wrote:
If you've never owned a Defender or done any offroad driving before you start contemplating bells and whistles I'd seriously consider investing in some decent tuition or membership of your local club so that you know what the vehicle is capable of and how to drive it sympathetically.

Fair comment. I am by no means an offroad expert, but I grew up on a farm and spend a few weeks per year in snow-covered areas. That's also as much offroad as I will do, so training might be a bit excessive. I will definitely do the Experience day though, to get some first impressions.
Post #92755 5th Oct 2011 10:24am
Happyoldgit

CityDriver wrote:

Fair comment. I am by no means an offroad expert, but I grew up on a farm and spend a few weeks per year in snow-covered areas. That's also as much offroad as I will do, so training might be a bit excessive. I will definitely do the Experience day though, to get some first impressions.

Given your username and knowing 0 about your experience you'll understand my comments, that said I now imagine you ought to have a reasonable grasp of the basics Wink Steve.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

Post #92763 5th Oct 2011 11:15am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Hmmm - I have had mine 2 weeks now. Did plenty of research, and got some really good advice from Zagato on the forum (suggest you PM him) re rustproofing and protection.

Essential upgrades for me:

1. Rust protection, get some advice from Zagato (or ask him to do it for you)
2. I replaced the rear (folding) step with a towing-bracket mounted one
3. The rear mudflap (on 110's) will fall off - look at re-enforcing the joint onto the body. Entreq do one but you can make it yourself: http://www.entreq.de/products/reinforcemen...ngers.html - and search on here
4. Noisekiller - mine's arrived, fitting this weekend
5. mats to protect carpets (incl load area mats)
6. Early life oil change for engine, diffs, gearbox & transfer box (some guys on here have changed the oil and been horrified by what they have found). Already got the filter, just need the oil now, will porobably do it at 1500 miles.

Also considering some other stuff, but the 6 items above were what I considered "Essential". Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #92766 5th Oct 2011 11:21am
JSG

Essential upgrades to a new Defender? None really - they are fine 'out of the box'.

Without knowing what you want to use it for it is hard to say more. Rustproofing is essential - more of a looking after thing than an upgrade though - along with rubber mats etc.

Many people buy a Landrover then throw cash at toys and bolt ons that they don't need. My advice would be to get used to it as it is your first and after a while you find out which things are essential for you - more storage maybe, raising the cubby box for a better arm rest, tow bar if you need to tow, recovery points if you want to go off-road etc.

If you're not careful you'll spend a lot of money you don't need to for no real benefit. John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #92767 5th Oct 2011 11:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
CityDriver

Miserableolgit wrote:

Given your username and knowing 0 about your experience you'll understand my comments, that said I now imagine you ought to have a reasonable grasp of the basics Wink

No worries, it was a good comment actually.
Post #92768 5th Oct 2011 11:44am
Happyoldgit

MartinK wrote:
Hmmm - I have had mine 2 weeks now. Did plenty of research, and got some really good advice from Zagato on the forum (suggest you PM him) re rustproofing and protection.

<nip>

There seems to be a myth developing here. With all due respect a casual browse through this forum would suggest that there were / are others here who were applying rustproofing products to various Land Rovers and other vehicles years, nay decades before Zagato arrived here and proceeded to ask 1001 questions and picking every ones brains to the enth degree about the ins and outs of post 2007 Defenders a fair while before he had got his. Steve.

Post #92771 5th Oct 2011 12:29pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
JB From what others have said one of the first things I did was get the Entreq rear mudflap bracket support for a 110 (not an issue with the 90!) - the mudflap bracket is simply bolted through the lower rear wing so any motorway driving will see the bolt break it's fixing point eventually Shocked I.E rear wing Censored with hole!

As others have said if it's new get it undersealed ASAP, you can never treat rust inside a chassis properly once it takes hold, you can only slow it down. Your new motor will have small rusty bits from new externally but these can be converted but wait until it's been through a salty winter and it's never so good a job Sad That salt and rust will be very hard to flush out of the inside of the chassis - my boat trailer never gets the salt completely off however long you run the hose of it Rolling Eyes

If someone is offering to clean your underside in the morning and treat/under-seal in the afternoon don't touch them with a barge pole, there is no way you can dry or disperse moisture in that time from inside the chassis! Plenty of firms keep your vehicle for drying out over night or a few days. Having looked last weekend at a couple of Defenders that have had treatment from reputable under sealers they do miss bits so make sure you do a forum search to ensure it is all done properly, capping's, bulkhead, doors, rear tub spreaders etc etc and get the windows sealed by your local window fitter, it's no good having water sitting under your rubbers let alone leaks Rolling Eyes My Td5 window frame had holes in it after just 5 years Big Cry Take your front grill off and paint or spray with ACF-50 the brackets/screws etc as they will rust within a year and do any internal screws/nuts and seat bases/frames. Also do your wing mirrors, window latches, headlight rims, rear step, hinges, inside the engine bay etc etc. If you catch it from new you shouldn't have any problems. Just remembered (have drunk a bottle of wine tonight already Hic! early party Very Happy ) one of the most vital things to do is treat your bonnet to bulkhead hinges with ACF-50, pretty well every one I have seen over 6 months old had brown staining from rust from this hinges - the metal is not properly coated before it is fixed in place (like your capping's!) and will need cutting out and welding before long (nightmare job as it would need doing again in not so many years!) All the 60 plate models I looked at had this rust staining from new Shocked so get it sprayed it stops it dead Thumbs Up

I don't think they leave the red engine hoist bracket on now but take it off if it is still in place, it will come of on it's own accord otherwise Shocked Loads i have missed re sorting body but a few searches should bring other things up...........like sealing your capping's to stop water ingress... If you really want to sort your chassis out for good, get underneath and spend a couple of days painting it with POR-15 you will never have to under-seal it again apart from cavity wax Thumbs Up Loads of other stuff but..........Hic! hope it reads OK Thud

EDIT & spray the rivet heads that are not painted the inner part will start rusting very quickly, a 60 plate i did 2 weeks ago had started rusting already Rolling Eyes Careful also treating your props IF you do, any under-seal applied too thick will cause an imbalance and create vibration....loads more....window hinges to bulkhead can come off, give a good splurge of under seal and replace, will stop leaks and help the hinges from rotting! Check out the water ingress manual.........it will give show you the areas to check on your own vehicle, the roof to front window frame seal is not always sealed properly for instance and the bits they just thumb in a bit of dumb dumb in could do with a check or re-doing....

Last edited by Zagato on 5th Oct 2011 6:39pm. Edited 6 times in total
Post #92814 5th Oct 2011 6:07pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Miserableolgit wrote:
MartinK wrote:

<nip>

There seems to be a myth developing here. With all due respect a casual browse through this forum would suggest that there were / are others here who were applying rustproofing products to various Land Rovers and other vehicles years, nay decades before Zagato arrived here and proceeded to ask 1001 questions and picking every ones brains to the enth degree about the ins and outs of post 2007 Defenders a fair while before he had got his.

Quite true as MOG says I have just picked all this up from doing thorough research myself but I am no expert, it takes me hours/pages replying to pm's asking about rustproofing etc. As I have suggested before it would be really useful to have a technical section with headings on the main Defender issues/upgrades so that the same answers don't have to be repeated time and again. If you REALLY want to go right through your whole vehicle like some kind of concourse rebuild there is A LOT to do but doing a search and going by what already has been said above by others others is a start. Defenders have been rotting for years from brand new so there is plenty on the web to keep you busy Thumbs Up

The bottom line for me is that its a lot easier to prevent rot than fix rot - people say why bother but if you are going to keep your vehicle for a long time your going to either save yourself a lot of time or a fortune or both sorting it all out provided you can still get the parts Sad I have hit many dead ends with my Series 2 rebiuld even though parts are supposed to be plentiful but thankfully people get parts manufactured off their own backs and do a batch to help others out and make it financially viable - Boy do you then really appreciate a brand new vehicle off the shelf and want to preserve it so you don't have to go through the expense and hassle of replacing bulkheads. rear quarter chassis etc in the future Whistle

Last edited by Zagato on 5th Oct 2011 7:09pm. Edited 7 times in total
Post #92815 5th Oct 2011 6:13pm
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
I have all sorts of mods but the most important for every-day town-ish driving is the wheel spacers. 3 cm each side and the steering can be tightened to an almost sensible turning circle Wink Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #92819 5th Oct 2011 6:31pm
willy eckerslike

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HCPU Keswick Green
The ability to laugh at / ignore the various bangs, cruntches, whistles, whines, and occasional unexplained water drops on the head.

A bottle of suncream for your right arm in the summer.

A leg warmer for your right arm in winter.

Land Rover Spider (essential)

An inflatable arse for the longer journeys.

The ability to turn the heater control less than 1 mm to get the right temperature.

Night vision.

The gear change skills of a 1950's Lorry Driver.

A love of petrol / diesel stations.

A Large rope and a smug grin (especially useful in winter)

The ability to remember you left it in low box.

A neck brace (see above)

The ability to remember not to put the handbrake on until you have come to a complete halt

Plasters for forehead (see above)

Broken belt loops on the back of your jeans (if you don't have these you'll findout how to get them)

A complete disregard for speed bumps.

The parking ability of Russell Swift.

The ability to roll under the car and pretend to look at some thing when you open the door and fall out cause you forgot you just had a 2" lift Original Member Pie n Pea Club.
110 HCPU Tipper
Post #92830 5th Oct 2011 7:28pm
JSG

Quote:
Broken belt loops on the back of your jeans (if you don't have these you'll findout how to get them)

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter John

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #92835 5th Oct 2011 7:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 5 <12345>