↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Retro fitting a heated windscreen
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Retro fitting a heated windscreen
As the seal has gone around my screen and it has a few chips, I'm contemplating a heated screen.

In terms of the glass this seems relatively cheap upgrade, however looking at OEM wiring looms gave me a bit of a shock.

SO I'm probably going to get the screen fitted anyway, and then worry about the electrics.

I'm good with a soldering iron and so I basically going to make my own harness as (as far as I can see so far) all I need to do is provide a switched relay circuit (probably with a timer cut-off)

Has anyone else gone down this route? Any thing learned would be appreciated cheers
Post #944126 28th Feb 2022 3:39pm
Mo Murphy

United Kingdom 1984 Defender 90 BMW M57 3.0 Diesel HT Auto Pennine Grey
I considered it but by the time I'd priced up a genuine switch, relay, timer relay, fuse holder, wiring and connectors and then the effort to make it, it made the aftermarket harness price look more reasonable.
Mo The Land Rover 90 - Many are called, few are chosen.

50 Shades of Pennine Grey
Post #944129 28th Feb 2022 4:21pm
L110CDL

England 
I just went and got my heated windscreen and wiring all fitted by VGS they did the whole job while i waited, no problems so far and i'm very happy with it Very Happy 1996 Golf Blue 300Tdi 110 Pick up.

Keeper.

Clayton.
Post #944194 28th Feb 2022 9:56pm
Screbble

United Kingdom 2004 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Zambezi Silver
Re: Retro fitting a heated windscreen
balmybaldwin wrote:
As the seal has gone around my screen and it has a few chips, I'm contemplating a heated screen.

In terms of the glass this seems relatively cheap upgrade, however looking at OEM wiring looms gave me a bit of a shock.

SO I'm probably going to get the screen fitted anyway, and then worry about the electrics.

I'm good with a soldering iron and so I basically going to make my own harness as (as far as I can see so far) all I need to do is provide a switched relay circuit (probably with a timer cut-off)

Has anyone else gone down this route? Any thing learned would be appreciated cheers

Have you tried MobileCentre?

I recall they are on this forum and they certainly have a presence on eBay. Great service and very helpful Thumbs Up
Post #944199 28th Feb 2022 10:09pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I made my own harness for my Puma. I emulated the factory wiring and in all honesty it was quite involved and time consuming. On the Puma the relays go under the seat, you need an "engine running" signal from the IPAC (special connector of course) and there are several wires to route from seatbox to dash, which is a hassle in its own right. It took the better part of a day to do.
Post #944202 28th Feb 2022 10:19pm
Penfold_6290

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Epsom Green
I made my own harness for my Td5. It doesn’t have the ‘engine running’ failsafe that the factory solution has but as long as you’re careful that isn’t 100% necessary. Fairly simple, using the genuine switch with a small internal modification as it is originally intended to switch the earth, not the power side of the circuit. The switch triggers a timer really which in turn powers the coil on a 70 amp relay which allows the high current to power the screen.
Post #944224 1st Mar 2022 10:02am
Cubflyer

United Kingdom 1994 Defender 90 300 Tdi SW Arles Blue
Mo Murphy wrote:
I considered it but by the time I'd priced up a genuine switch, relay, timer relay, fuse holder, wiring and connectors and then the effort to make it, it made the aftermarket harness price look more reasonable. Mo

Have to say I agree with MO ... IMO, by the time you've got all the bits and completed the job you might as well have paid VGS (£132.00) or BML (£178.30) on eBay for the complete loom.

... and "Do it yourself" you get the satisfaction of doing it with no manufactures guarantee Whistle

OR ... buy a "pre-assembled" one, paying a bit more and having a guarantee Thumbs Up

Then you're straight in to fitting it Very Happy

John 2010 Defender 90 300Tdi CW (White/1994)
2021 Defender 90 300Tdi SW (Blue/1994)

Last edited by Cubflyer on 1st Mar 2022 11:45am. Edited 2 times in total
Post #944225 1st Mar 2022 10:53am
ibexman

United Kingdom 
What was the price of a vgs supplied and fitted
Post #944229 1st Mar 2022 11:24am
Race.it

Spain 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
also consider dan at pace automotive. Have brought one of his looms for the full overlay, very nice. Searching for my first Defender...and started just as Covid hit, so talk about timing.

5 months after starting the search I found it, and here is the details
Post #944245 1st Mar 2022 1:34pm
balmybaldwin

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Buckingham Blue
Thanks all, had a better look around now, and can get what I need pre-made for a reasonable price. Think I must have scared myself with a OEM supply it was £350! Seen a couple on ebay from £70 depending on switch so all good Smile
Post #944516 3rd Mar 2022 10:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1