↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Drawer Systems for a 110 DCPU - what recommendations?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Drawer Systems for a 110 DCPU - what recommendations?
Looking for a drawer system for my 110 DCPU. It will be used to store (not at the same time), technical tools (various surveying tools, some with high value), shotgun(s), sports equipment.

So, it needs to be robust, lockable, and adaptable.

Further, it needs to be strong enough to have the spare rested on top and be stood on, so likely a chequer plate finish.

Finally, as it will be in a DCPU tub that won’t always have its canopy on, it needs to be waterproof.

Any recommendations? Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #934780 23rd Dec 2021 10:32am
Shroppy

United Kingdom 1986 Defender 130 V8 Petrol HCPU Aintree Green
That's not a small shopping list.....

I would personally be looking to fabricate something myself or look to outsource it to a local coachbuilders or similar. Sealing a drawer won't be easy unless you seal the draw itself and not the whole unit. You could simplify things somewhat by using waterproof boxes that locate under a cover that spans the wheelboxes?

As for off the shelf products, I've had MSS stuff in the past and wasn't very impressed, noisy, flimsy and prone to rusting. 1985 127 V8 Build Thread
Series 2 109"
Series 1 80"
Post #934785 23rd Dec 2021 11:15am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Hi Grenedier.

I have had a DIY special, MSS and my current custom drawer uint made by Animal transit boxes (ATB). There is nothing wrong with a nicely done wooden DIY drawer or chest, does the job and can work really well. Had mine for five or six years. When I moved to Miffy the 110 I thought I would do it "properly" and splashed out on a chest and drawer system from MSS. Brilliant bit of kit and for a few years it was invaluable... Until... It wasn't...

Being made from steel and plastic coated it was not long until moisture got in and the rust rotted away the support legs of both the MSS items. I was gutted...

So on to the next solution made by ATB. The benefit was that almost the entire system is made of plastic. It is super light (can be lifted in and out with one arm tied behind your back), strong, does not rust and if required can be modified again and again to suit changes in use. I Opted for full length drawers this time as I needed a dog crate and wolf boxes to sit on top. Next to the inability of plastic to rust it is the lack of any moving parts (apart from the latches) that I like. It is simple, the drawers sit on plastic runners and apart from a dab of beeswax on the runners you can open the fully laden drawers with one hand. The system has been in for six or seven years and just works...

I carry two full drawers of recovery equipment, tools, first aid, pump, high lift jack and much much more.

In the back of a pick up you could almost make certain that the drawers are pretty much water tight being almost an enclosed plastic box. If there is something you really want included or adapted you can do (I had a low tray added to the top of the dog box for leads treats and towels). Or you could design your own system the way you want it.

For your consideration https://www.animaltransitboxes.com Carl Cheshire is the owner and is a good guy to deal with. Thumbs Up
Post #934792 23rd Dec 2021 11:47am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I have MSS in a DCPU. Been in for many years and generally it does the job. I wouldn't think it is waterproof though; that might be one criteria that would rule most drawer systems out?

Wondering if you could deck across and then use some long Peli gun cases that you just pull out or even rest on a slide out base.

I've got some Euro boxes that with an appropriate lid might meet the waterproof criteria and I've previously fitted them (albeit much smaller size) to drawer slides under a long workshop table.
Post #934794 23rd Dec 2021 11:57am
Grenadier

Shroppy wrote:
That's not a small shopping list.....

I would personally be looking to fabricate something myself or look to outsource it to a local coachbuilders or similar. Sealing a drawer won't be easy unless you seal the draw itself and not the whole unit. You could simplify things somewhat by using waterproof boxes that locate under a cover that spans the wheelboxes?

As for off the shelf products, I've had MSS stuff in the past and wasn't very impressed, noisy, flimsy and prone to rusting.

No, not a small shopping list. Coach builders are practically non existent out here, (as you can’t modify cars), and those few there are will either charge a fortune or not be bothered to tackle it at all. UK purpose or UK custom are best.

As for the shopping list, we do lots of skiing in winter and cycling in summer, and so the draw would be for helmets, shoes, goggles, towels etc, especially when friends are over and the cab is full of people and rucksacks.

But work is the really important one. I’m starting a new career in the new year, doing property surveys. All the usual gubbins, (masks, helmets, goggles, boiler suits, tools, electrical and gas testers including Flukes, etc), but I will also have to carry a Fluorescence X-Ray tester (lead testing) which firstly costs €25k - no joke - but also requires me to have it securely locked away during transport as it contains radioactive material. I actually have to be qualified by and registered with the French Nuclear Authority to own, use, transport and store the analyser. My house and vehicle will be inspected.

The alternative option is to bin the rear bench seat, put in a pair of recaros and fit a lockable cubby between them. I like the idea of a 4-seat configuration and the cost would be the same as a drawer system. I could then get a SS or HD plastic lockbox bolted into the back for all my other tools or a simpler drawer system.

I’ll check out everyone’s suggestions. Could DIY, but I’m not sure wood is the right way to go. Especially given the rain and snow we get here. One option would be to put a full width shelf in, with a door on the front, that will be held shut by the tail gate, which itself could have a HD padlock on it. Inside I could put some waterproof trays (as suggested by Supacat) and outwardly from prying eyes it would look just like a flat bed in the back.

Decisions, decisions….. Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #934814 23rd Dec 2021 1:53pm
landy andy

2006 Defender 110 Td5 USW Zermatt Silver
I had a MSS draw for years and gave it massive amounts of abuse, which it took very well. BUT it was OLD MSS, before the chap sold it, and when he was still making them in his shed in his rear garden.

I don’t think water proof will be an issue as the top was one piece so water would just run off the top and onto the bed of the truck, and the draw it’s self will be held above the base of the truck on its runners.

I doubt the MSS stuff is as good as it was, but I wouldn’t go anywhere near anything wood especially if you have water concerns.

Nak have a nice but pricey item. Not seen it in flesh though.

It is aluminium and the steel parts are galvanised. And I like it Whistle Whistle

https://www.4x4overlander.com/product/naka...er-system/

Last edited by landy andy on 23rd Dec 2021 11:26pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #934835 23rd Dec 2021 4:37pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Grenadier wrote:
One option would be to put a full width shelf in, with a door on the front, that will be held shut by the tail gate, which itself could have a HD padlock on it. Inside I could put some waterproof trays (as suggested by Supacat) and outwardly from prying eyes it would look just like a flat bed in the back.

Here you go - a bit of inspiration for a full width shelf:

Click image to enlarge

More details of its constuction here:

https://www.defender2.net/forum/post839523.html#839523 Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #934888 23rd Dec 2021 11:25pm
Supacat

geobloke wrote:
For your consideration https://www.animaltransitboxes.com Carl Cheshire is the owner and is a good guy to deal with. Thumbs Up

They do look very fine indeed. Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Can't see any photos with the drawers open though?
Post #934905 24th Dec 2021 7:47am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
They are super bits of kit and the weight saving is worth every penny IMHO.

Anyway they're some photos in this thread, you will have to scroll down a bit and excuse the dirt. Between fieldwork and dogs it was a mucky summer Rolling Eyes

https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic53859-255.html
Post #934916 24th Dec 2021 11:28am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Post #934917 24th Dec 2021 11:29am
Grenadier

Thanks Geobloke. Yup, look good. I’ll touch base in the New Year.

I wonder if he knows very much about Defenders. He wrote this on his site:

“ Hours can be spent away from your vehicle in remote areas, securing valuable equipment that may be left behind or in your vehicle overnight need no longer be a concern with a vehicle storage unit.”

Clearly doesn’t know that it would be easier to nick the whole vehicle than break into the drawer Whistle Rolling with laughter

And LRA, thanks also for the photo. Given a tailgate is very lockable, this may well be the easiest option. Perhaps with a slide out shelf, although that would impact on depth. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #935080 26th Dec 2021 8:26am
Supacat

MSS system in my DCPU:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Not sure the standard depth will accommodate a helmet (depending on type):

Click image to enlarge

A little plywood helps divide the space for better organisation:

Click image to enlarge

geobloke wrote:
Being made from steel and plastic coated it was not long until moisture got in and the rust rotted away the support legs of both the MSS items. I was gutted...

Where would I need to look on mine to check this?
Post #935121 26th Dec 2021 11:37am
geobloke

United Kingdom 
That is one beautifully set out drawer system Thumbs Up Thumbs Up I do like a tidy set of drawers Rolling Eyes

Don't get me wrong the MSS system is brilliant and I loved owning it. As to your question. They rot out from the bottom up, usually from moisture getting up through the fixing bolts from under the vehicle. The rivets that those bolts fix in to provide a route for water to get in between the plastic coating and the steel. I advise the removal of the draws to check the condition then re-install with a silicone or wax based sealer to prevent the migration of water from the outside.

I will confess that part of my problem, which DCPU owner will not have, was that I installed the MSS drawers on to the existing CSW carpet which once wet held on to that water. In hindsight I should have removed it before installing or at the very least pulled the drawers out every year to check for rust. Hey-ho...

I have just found some images of where to look, these were mine when I took them out. I was gutted... Big Cry

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #935125 26th Dec 2021 12:25pm
Grenadier

Thanks Supacat. As Geobloke says, that’s a cracking set up. With regard to size of my helmet ( Whistle ) the safety helmet should comfortably fit in the depth of the MSS Goliath at 18cm deep. Certainly our skiing and climbing helmets, plus our boots of laid sideways.

Click image to enlarge

And thanks Geobloke. Looks like with a little bit of pre-planning, (pre-sealing the holes, maybe adding a vapour membrane, and then sealing around the top with silicon) might help avoid the build up of moisture? Yours looks more than salvageable with a scrub back, some antitrust treatment and a repaint. Or at least as far as I can see from the photos. Which arguably bodes well in terms of robustness if that is the case. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 26th Dec 2021 12:46pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #935129 26th Dec 2021 12:37pm
geobloke

United Kingdom 
Absolutely they were salvageable and the guy that bought them from me planned to do exactly that. I was done...!

At the time our collie pup was requiring an upgraded crate, so we decided to go the Animal Transit Box route as we could spec the crate and drawers to our needs. And almost all in rustproof lightweight plastic. Smile Best of all worlds.

Although at the time I craved the MSS Goliath... Rolling Eyes Rolling with laughter
Post #935132 26th Dec 2021 12:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>