↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Off Topic > Is JLR Finally Listening?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
markb110

England 2002 Defender 90 Td5 HT Epsom Green
Is JLR Finally Listening?
Is Land Rover finally going to move the Discovery 5 rear number plate to the centre? The one thing so many have asked for since its release and no doubt has lead to a loss of sales because it looked dorky.

Cant image that it alone will help to catapult sales so i am also going to make a prediction that it will move more upmarket (read expensive), more road friendly but still retain all the features most consumers never use, contain the correct number of vertical lines, flatten out the roof hump to the point its now a dip. it will be non binary so both front seats get their own steering wheel, hopefully they will bring back the split tailgate.

Ladies and gentlemen i bring your the Discovery 6, a car for those too poor to afford the Range Rover and too rich to be the car for the everyman

Disclaimer - don't take any of the above seriously

Click image to enlarge

Or its the new Range Rover Sport...... Whistle I just wanted to take the micky
Post #911289 7th Jul 2021 9:32pm
Rashers

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
“it will be non binary so both front seats get their own steering wheel”

Is it me, or does that make it sound like a road sweeper ???

Rolling with laughter
Post #911299 7th Jul 2021 10:32pm
MichaelE

England 
They will also bow down to the militant vegans and abandon real leather in favour of plastic fake leather like manufacturers are starting to do. Real leather will be a stupid £££ option.
Post #911359 8th Jul 2021 10:38am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Non-leather interiors are a big JLR thing already (was a big deal on the launch of the Velar), it’s consumer-driven.
Post #911361 8th Jul 2021 10:44am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
It’s not consumer driven, it’s lobby/fad driven.

Most punters don’t give a fig about leather and it’s origins. Still used all over the place in clothes, cars, furnishings etc. LR is led by design and fashion and tells its consumers what they should want, rather than the other way round. Velar was targeted at high income, young couples who may well be worried about leather, but Joe Bloggs who is buying a Ford Whatever RS doesn’t.

And it’s a nonsense idea anyway, because unless we eat a lot less beef, there won’t be a commensurate drop in skin production (that would normally be used in leather products) so they will merely be burned, ironically creating pollution and ignoring the most basic idea of the ‘food chain’ that when an animal is killed/culled, all parts of it should be used. Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #911366 8th Jul 2021 10:57am
Philip

United Kingdom 
Sounds like you’re new to how fashion and marketing and consumer demand work. If there was no demand for it, they wouldn’t sell any.
Post #911368 8th Jul 2021 11:07am
Grenadier

Rolling Eyes Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #911385 8th Jul 2021 12:42pm
rockster57

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 CSW Zermatt Silver
Grenadier wrote:

Most punters don’t give a fig about leather and it’s origins. Still used all over the place in clothes, cars, furnishings etc. LR is led by design and fashion and tells its consumers what they should want, rather than the other way round. Velar was targeted at high income, young couples who may well be worried about leather, but Joe Bloggs who is buying a Ford Whatever RS doesn’t.

And it’s a nonsense idea anyway, because unless we eat a lot less beef, there won’t be a commensurate drop in skin production (that would normally be used in leather products) so they will merely be burned, ironically creating pollution and ignoring the most basic idea of the ‘food chain’ that when an animal is killed/culled, all parts of it should be used.

I’m no expert either but Grenadier’s seems to me to be a well reasoned and thoughtful opinion and was shared without grounds for offence.

ps I’m a sensitive sort so no one start on me right’
Post #911389 8th Jul 2021 12:49pm
RDR

United Kingdom 
interesting wasn't expecting the D5 replacement until 2024 ish. Jag 7 seater mule based on same platform? mind you that wouldn't make sense given their EV plans. almost looks like it has defender wing mirrors

Middle number plate and bring back the drop down tailgate. The current D5 tailgate is a health and safety nightmare. 110 MY23.5 X Dynamic HSE
RR MY23 HSE PHEV
D5 MY19 HSE - Now Sold
D4 MY16 HSE Luxury - Now Sold
D4 MY12 HSE - Gone
D3 MY06 S - Gone but not forgotten
Post #911390 8th Jul 2021 12:53pm
J77

Scotland 
^ It’s not the Disco 5 replacement Laughing 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green - Gone
22MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver - Gone
21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue - Gone
Post #911395 8th Jul 2021 1:06pm
piechipsandpeas

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
That's right, that was unveiled almost 2 years ago.
Post #911398 8th Jul 2021 1:22pm
Grenadier

rockster57 wrote:
Grenadier wrote:

And it’s a nonsense idea anyway, because unless we eat a lot less beef, there won’t be a commensurate drop in skin production (that would normally be used in leather products) so they will merely be burned, ironically creating pollution and ignoring the most basic idea of the ‘food chain’ that when an animal is killed/culled, all parts of it should be used.

I’m no expert either but Grenadier’s seems to me to be a well reasoned and thoughtful opinion and was shared without grounds for offence.

ps I’m a sensitive sort so no one start on me right’

Thanks Rockster, nothing new.

As it happens I’ve worked in premium/luxury sales for almost 20 years, so more than understand the process alluded to. There seems to be a conflation between fashion/marketing and the consumer. My point was that things don’t become ‘consumer led’ for a generation after something was first introduced. That first introduction is either through fashion (I like to think of that as fad) or development (think ABS, TC or SatNav) and then is sold as ‘desirable’ to the consumer, who slowly take up the baton and begin to demand it. But it is far from the other way round. It may eventually be the case, but not from the outset and this would no doubt be the case with LRs new vegan leather launched for the Velar, an extremely niche brand/model/target audience. Obviously someone at LR may contradict me and show the plethora of evidence, requests, market research demanding vegan leather; but I doubt they will.

Vegan leather is a new development almost unknown by most people, so is far from having reached ‘consumer led’ status. If it was a consumer led item, people would be demanding it in their Vauxhalls and Dacias. Instead it was launched by a globally focused, future-thinking, fashion/trend setting brand (LR), which, when factoring in target market and price point, clearly felt vegan leather might appeal to their buyer. I’d strongly suggest they chose to offer it, rather than being asked to offer it, either to act as a market leader of what may be the next fashion, or for the sake of their own image by appeasing the eco/animal welfare lobby, as premium SUV brands are their favoured automotive target. But I doubt they received sack-loads of letters by ‘Disgruntled, from Leamington Spa’ who demanded they start offering vegan leather. Indeed, I’d be interested to know how many LR consumers actually choose it. But to reinforce the idea that it’s merely good marketing by LR, as opposed to demand from their consumers, faux leather has been an option in almost all new cars over the past 10-20 years, but from the perspective of price as opposed to some moral agenda. Nothing new. But call it vegan leather and suddenly it’s new and desirable. Clever, but far from consumer led, only a handful of fashion victims would fall for what is in essence a gimmick.

Obviously any new fad/tech will be pushed hard by the marketing team (and now by influencers) but consumer driven decisions take years to trickle down, normally as things become more affordable and accessible. Look at the aforementioned ABS. It was first seen in a road going car in 1978, but didn’t become a mainstream (consumer led) addition for another 20+ years. It started as an expensive, niche option and until the tech became cheaper and more widely understood remained as such. If things were consumer led from the outset (as opposed, in this case, to development led) then all cars would have had it added as a matter of course immediately it was launched as no consumer is going to say no to an obvious safety accessory. Now it’s in every car as a matter of course, because we, the consumer, demand it. But that took a generation to achieve.

The fact is, all the links alluded to above (fashion, marketing and consumer) are inextricably linked, but to say that a Vegan leather option is consumer led is just palpably wrong. It is clearly a fashion or image led decision by LR (I’m not going to pretend that the LR design department has any real interest in animal welfare in the truest sense) and not because Barry from Essex or Harriet from the Cotswolds demanded it. Monsieur Le Grenadier

Last edited by Grenadier on 8th Jul 2021 1:59pm. Edited 2 times in total
Post #911405 8th Jul 2021 1:52pm
Grenadier

piechipsandpeas wrote:

And was accidentally named the New Defender Whistle Monsieur Le Grenadier

Post #911407 8th Jul 2021 1:53pm
J77

Scotland 
piechipsandpeas wrote:

And a mighty fine vehicle it is too 24MY 90 D250 HSE, Tasman Blue
23.5MY 90 D250 X-Dynamic SE, Pangea Green - Gone
22MY 110 D250 XS Edition, Hakuba Silver - Gone
21MY 90 D200 S, Tasman Blue - Gone
Post #911411 8th Jul 2021 2:09pm
Huttopia

United Kingdom 
Philip wrote:
Sounds like you’re new to how fashion and marketing and consumer demand work. If there was no demand for it, they wouldn’t sell any.

What's with the tone?
Post #911413 8th Jul 2021 2:15pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>