↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Suspected EGR fault, BAS remap cure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Landymatt

United Kingdom 
Suspected EGR fault, BAS remap cure
Moving a load of gear through the Peaks recently I’m following my wife who’s driving the MY2015 110 and she pulls over - engine management light on. Keeps going, 15 mins later pulls over again, ‘exhaust’ light comes on and goes into limp mode. We press on as nearly at the outlaws and have kids in car.

Next day clean MAF and MAP sensors, lights go out, happy days. Next day (Saturday) engine mgmt light back on.

Phone BAS, and along with a load of advice on things to check and photos showing examples of what to look for, Pete Bell has a BAS2 RRC in the post that morning (I’ve been waiting for an excuse to buy one for a while).

Monday - adjust policy with A-Plan, £28 to change policy to cover 150 or 170 map, sort out RRC with Pete’s help a few times re my Bluetooth issues (what a patient and knowledgeable guy).

He encouraged thorough checking of boost pipes and intercooler as hadn’t seen this particular sequence of faults being thrown up before (using the RRC tool I sent these to him). But loaded up the 170 map (wow) and stretched its legs and no faults on return. Now done 200 miles (have switched to the 150 map as pulling trailer over steep hills and don’t want to over stress standard I/c and pipes, and no faults so far. So I’m assuming it was an EGR fault. Hope this is useful for someone.

Making use of live values I noticed 10v on exhaust gas temp sensor 3 when climbing Steep hills with foot to the floor, and assuming it’s a 0-10v sensor that seems hot. I also noticed this sensor got a fair bit hotter when working it hard in a higher gear at say 1800 revs rather than changing down and using say over 2200 revs, so will be changing down more readily now.
Fault codes I had after the (probable) EGR valve failure below.

P0404-22 (AE) Exhaust gas recirculation control - circuit range/performance - General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum
( on 13-08-2020 14:48:12 at 89327 mi )
P2263-22 (2Cool Turbo/supercharge boost system performance - General signal failure - signal amplitude>maximum
( on 13-08-2020 16:32:04 at 89415 mi )
P2459-65 (2Cool Diesel particulate filter regeneration frequency - Algorithm based failure - signal has too few transitions/events
( on 13-08-2020 16:46:14 at 89420 mi )
P0504-62 (2Cool Brake switch A/B correlation - Algorithm based failure - signal compare failure
( on 31-07-2020 21:43:56 at 88338 mi )
Post #851471 22nd Aug 2020 8:41pm
Ianh

United Kingdom 
I’ve a 2.2 that had an egr fail, similar symptoms as you and for sure had the first two fault codes come up. I was only a very short distance from home so that was lucky, put the code reader on , checked on here, thought must be egr so I bought a pierburg valve direct as it’s the one landrover and ford use but far less than via them. Circa £100. Pain to fit but doable.
I don’t remember if I had the 3rd dpf related code which I expect could come up as a consequence of an egr fail and then driven in limp mode. I’m pretty sure I did not have the last one.

Re the bas remap. If I remember correctly it signals the EGR to close and remain that way. I’m therefore assuming the remap must test that it has successfully closed the EGR and it’s remaining in the closed position.my EGR was stuck in an open but not fully open position. So a bas remap at that time without blanking off the EGR would possibly not have worked for me.
All this is me thinking aloud so it would be interesting what an experts view would be.
Post #851485 22nd Aug 2020 9:22pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1