↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > What do you expect from “OEM” parts?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Bluest

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
What do you expect from “OEM” parts?
My expectation when ordering parts that are touted as “OEM” is that they won’t be JLR branded but they will be functionally the same and of comparable quality. However, parts suppliers don’t seem to have the same view. Three examples come across where I wasn’t happy.

Mann branded 2.4 TDCi oil filter. The hole through the middle a different diameter to the original such that it didn’t sit securely in the filter housing. I binned it and bought a genuine one from Dan at Duckworths, which is what I’ve done ever since, until now...

I had a voucher for a well known LR parts supplier, so rather than buy another oil filter from Dan this time, I cheaped out and bought their OEM choice. A Mahle branded part turned up, which is a decent make. As you can see from the photo below though, the filter is constructed quite differently to the genuine one next to it, with no solid plastic end caps. Whether that has an effect on its performance I don’t know, but it’s hard to imagine it’s an improvement.

Click image to enlarge

Third item was an “OEM” Armstrong steering damper, which had different, smaller diameter end welds, smaller bushes and different fitting hardware to a JLR one. It does seem to function fine, but the Internet wisdom that the Armstrong one is the same as the factory is not correct.

Am I being overly critical? What would you expect when ordering a part marked OEM? 2007 110 TDCi Station Wagon XS
Post #791095 7th Sep 2019 8:52pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
OEM means aftermarket to me, can be anything only the brand reputation can you go by.

There are only a few parts that I actually know are guaranteed OEM that I will use.
Air filters for example I won't trust unless Genuine.

I am however happy with Ford Genuine parts, Bosch, Borg & Beck and Lucas. But only on certain parts.
Genuine parts are not always great either, but most the time they are OK. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #791099 7th Sep 2019 9:21pm
Balvaig

Scotland 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 Landmark LE Corris Grey
I think we all hope that OEM means that the item is nearly identical to the LR branded item, except for price. We mislead ourselves as you have demonstrated. All OEM means in reality is that the manufacturer produces parts for LR. It does not guarantee that the part is the same as that produced for LR.
However, if a part is supplied as suitable for our vehicle it should perform the same function as the original part. Clearly a part that doesn’t fit or do the job is sub standard and can be rejected.
As we cannot see the technical differences before we purchase, then we are at a serious disadvantage, and suppliers too cannot warrant that a part is the same as that supplied to LR without expensive testing.
Sorry to be so negative, but there are some suppliers who know that they are supplying poor quality parts.
This is why this forum is so useful - we collectively supply quality control information to the members.
Post #791100 7th Sep 2019 9:21pm
Will@LRW

1997 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Alpine White
"OEM" exists as it's the perfect storm of ambiguity that allows retailers/wholesalers to provide a different price point and navigate the murky waters between reality and a customer's interpretation.

Basically it could be:
- a part that fits from an "OEM" for any vehicle?
- an "OEM" part for Land Rover?
- an "OEM" part for a Land Rover Defender of the model year yours is?
- does "OEM" mean "Original Equipment Manufacturer" or does the retailer in their T&Cs say it means "Origin Ecuador Mainland"?
- or anything else they can justify to be "OEM".

You still have to do your research and you might get a quality part OR you pay genuine OR you pay for replacement/aftermarket that is probably crap. If you're lucky, the OEM part will be a genuine part at a non-genuine price. A reputable brand for wear/service parts is normally all that's required (Mahle/Mintex/GKN/etc.). A retailer selling an "OEM" part should list the brand of the part you're going to receive. LR Workshop
Find a Defender's history and spec: https://defender.lrworkshop.com
Post #791125 7th Sep 2019 11:25pm
sollner11

Germany 2016 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Keswick Green
Post #791147 8th Sep 2019 9:03am
Mike c

England 2004 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Belize Green
Always a dilemma at service time! Genuine LR filter kits are pricey (TD5 here) however I think it's better to spend the money on high quality oils and go for the medium priced filters, just my opinion Smile

Sorry if that wasn't the purpose of the post!

Mike
Post #791195 8th Sep 2019 2:39pm
Zed

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
Will@LRW wrote:
"OEM" exists as it's the perfect storm of ambiguity that allows retailers/wholesalers to provide a different price point and navigate the murky waters between reality and a customer's interpretation.

Basically it could be:
- a part that fits from an "OEM" for any vehicle?
- an "OEM" part for Land Rover?
- an "OEM" part for a Land Rover Defender of the model year yours is?
- does "OEM" mean "Original Equipment Manufacturer" or does the retailer in their T&Cs say it means "Origin Ecuador Mainland"?
- or anything else they can justify to be "OEM".

You still have to do your research and you might get a quality part OR you pay genuine OR you pay for replacement/aftermarket that is probably crap. If you're lucky, the OEM part will be a genuine part at a non-genuine price. A reputable brand for wear/service parts is normally all that's required (Mahle/Mintex/GKN/etc.). A retailer selling an "OEM" part should list the brand of the part you're going to receive.

Summed up perfectly.
Post #791197 8th Sep 2019 2:53pm
Slideywindows

England 
It's the Original Equipment Manufacturer.

It doesn't guarantee that it is identical to the actual original equipment, or uses the same quality materials

When buying parts for earlier vehicles OEM means even less, as the original manufacturer has probably been bought out for their name, and manufacture moved overseas for cheapness.

What do I expect from OEM?

Nothing.

Britpart will probably use the same manufacturer......
Post #791299 8th Sep 2019 9:51pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1