Home > Pictures & Video > Snowy trip around Arcadia-Greece
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
lrMike

Greece 
Snowy trip around Arcadia-Greece
Hello all!!

Just thought it would be a good idea to share some moments of love with my pride and joy with you!!
Hope you like them!

This is the state of the art camouflage tent I built myself for it!!

Mike!!
Post #58438 11th Feb 2011 1:08pm
Bomber82

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Nice pics Mike!! Thumbs Up
Could you tell us the name of the places of the pictures? Matteo
Defender 110 Td4 SE MY 09
Post #58473 11th Feb 2011 3:03pm
Anderzander

United Kingdom 
Fantastic!

Greece isn't somewhere I'd ever associated with snow .. Shocked
Post #58487 11th Feb 2011 3:51pm
lrMike

Greece 
Thank you for your nice comments mates!!

My friend bomber... The first two photos are taken in Arcadia which is the central part of Peloponese. The exact name is Mainalo mountain.
You can find more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainalo

The following are taken in Plastiras lake which is in the central Greece. You can find more info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Plastiras

Should you need more info about 4x4 trips in Greece feel free to contact me.

My friend Anderzander... Greece is one of the very few countries where you can go and ski in a nice ski resort during the morning and then swim in a nice beach during the afternoon without having to travel thousands of km. As you might know this can happen because the central part of Greece from North to South is a very wild mountainous area, home of some very nice ski resorts but not as organized as in the Alps, where snow coverage usually lasts from November to April. Even in the northern part of Athens where I live its very normal to snow 3 to 6 times each winter and because Athens is surrounded by sea water and mountainous areas there is a very strange microclimate with a lot of snow in the northern part of Athens and sunny mild days in the southern part . Some photos from 2010 december 11th around my home in Athens following:

Bye,

Mike!
Post #58987 14th Feb 2011 1:10pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Great pics,

The first and only time I went skiing (very young) was on a school trip in Greece.

I think it was in the mountains to the west of Athens. Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #58991 14th Feb 2011 1:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Bomber82

Italy 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Mike I was there in December when a snow storm arrived also to Korinth!
I've lived one year near Korinth, all the 2010, because I had a big project in one refinery.

Lots of beautifull places, very wild, but unfortunately my Defender didn't come with me, it remained in Italy.

But I definitely will come back to do the holidays with my Defender, in the meantime if you have any way to advise me I carry on with the job! Thumbs Up Matteo
Defender 110 Td4 SE MY 09
Post #59022 14th Feb 2011 3:47pm
lrMike

Greece 
BigRuss thank you. I hope you come back again now that you are a big boy for some nice and cheap ski holidays. I am sure it was in the west of Athens. North, East and South we we are surrounded by sea Smile...

Bomber, Mainalo mountain, where the first photos are taken, is about 30 minutes from Korinth. I am sure you will have a great time when you come with your toy since all dirt roads are free to drive in Greece as you already know.

I will do my best to help both of you should you decide to visit Greece with you defender. Whatever you want you can ask me and I will guide you, or better arrange to meet !!

Start making your plans.

Mike.
Post #59035 14th Feb 2011 4:58pm
BigRuss

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Well it's bee almost 13 years since I moved back to the UK, I used to live in Melissia/Ano Vrelisia of 8 years while attending Byron College.

I'll be back for a visit some time in the future. Thumbs Up Russell
2011MY 110 XS USW Black
Post #59075 14th Feb 2011 7:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
lrMike

Greece 
BigRuss wrote:
Well it's bee almost 13 years since I moved back to the UK, I used to live in Melissia/Ano Vrelisia of 8 years while attending Byron College.

I'll be back for a visit some time in the future. Thumbs Up

It's kind of strange since about 15 years ago I was visiting Aberdeen every summer because my sister was studying in Aberdeen's law school. I really loved the Scotish castles but unfortunately those trips were done with a rented Seat... Rolling Eyes I wish I can visit Scotland some day with my defender! I have done it (travelling from Athens to London) with my Peugeot 106 rallye but with the defender it will be a real adventure.

Should you decide to visit Greece drop me a pm and I will do my best to guide you!!

Mike.
Post #59175 15th Feb 2011 10:06am
spudfan

Ireland 
Really nice collection. Looks like good Land Rover country. Are they the standard fit Michelin 7.50 x 16 tyres? I was wondering how they performed. Seems I got my unasked question answered. Incidentally I see your crowd do exactly as my crowd do on a cold day. They get out of the nicely warmed up Defender and leave the doors open! Must be a world wide female trait. Mr. Green 1982 88" 2.25 diesel
1992 110 200tdi csw -Zikali
2008 110 2.4 tdci csw-Zulu
2011 110 2.4 tdci csw-Masai
Post #60491 22nd Feb 2011 1:05am
lrMike

Greece 
spudfan wrote:
Really nice collection. Looks like good Land Rover country. Are they the standard fit Michelin 7.50 x 16 tyres? I was wondering how they performed. Seems I got my unasked question answered. Incidentally I see your crowd do exactly as my crowd do on a cold day. They get out of the nicely warmed up Defender and leave the doors open! Must be a world wide female trait. Mr. Green

It is really a good Land Rover country. Try to visit with your love one day as I am trying to visit yours!
They are the standard fit Michellin tyres which came with my MY JAN 10 defender. They perform good especially if you consider their low noise production during highway driving. But for sure when time comes I will change to something a bit more off-road but always in the same "traditional" dimension of 7.50 x 16.

My crowd is like everybody else's crowd here. Usually wifes, girlfriends, kids, etc... So you can understand what is the situation inside the car but since they always play with my nerves I decided to drive around those places with the windows open and no heating on, in order to breath the fresh cool air. They wear all the jackets they can carry so everybody is happy now Smile Would be so funny to have a topic about stories from people we take with us on the trips!!

Mike.
Post #61072 25th Feb 2011 2:12pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1