↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Technical > Drop plate advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
xcentric

Drop plate advice
Have bought a Dixon-Bate drop plate, with the arms that attach to the chassis on each side too - but there are 2 issues.

1. I have a rear fuel tank guard, which means I can't attach the arms without cutting into it
2. It doesn't really drop the towball low enough anyway

So - can I use one of the DB variants that are longer, without the sway arms, on my Defender? If I can't find a longer one, can I use this one without the side arms?

And on the DB site, the 260mm one looks much smaller than the 200mm one - anyone got one and can let me know that they've used the wrong pictures? Or am I missing something?

And once that's sorted, can I attach it the 'wrong' way round? i.e. bolt the slider to the chassis, and use the longer plate as a slide - same forces on it, but this way I can take it off when not towing and not have a plough at the back.....
Post #639419 24th Jul 2017 5:02pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
I got drawings from DB for a very similar question, the 260mm is smaller, go figure!

I wouldn't feel comfortable not using the bracing arms, without them there's a lot of force and a lot of turning moment on the crossmember.

You shouldn't attach it the "wrong" way either for many of the same reasons. Also, due to the tolerances on the holes and the pins, it would be loading the whole thing differently to how it was designed, and the slop would allow for a hell of a bang when it took up said slop.

I tend to just whip mine off when I need the clearance, it's only a 20 minute job, and will be less when I get round to fitting a nut plate to the crossmember!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3afCjMz...pXZWdGUlBn

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3afCjMz...JOS0RxV0tJ
Post #639436 24th Jul 2017 5:44pm
xcentric

thanks. So what's the max drop available - I assume it's from the 260mm one - is it 260mm down from the standard height?

re fitting the wrong way, I'm not sure I agree - it's essentially the same forces, at the same angles, on the same bits of kit.....

and if the turning moment is so bad, why do they sell them without arms for other vehicles? seems very odd to me.....
Post #639438 24th Jul 2017 5:52pm
lohr500

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Quote:
and if the turning moment is so bad, why do they sell them without arms for other vehicles? seems very odd to me.....

I guess it depends on the strength of the crossmember. When I have seen them on the back of wagons without any bracing, they appear to be bolted to very substantial crossmembers.

As we all know, the Defender cross member certainly isn't fabricated from girder thickness steel Laughing

The DB drop plate may withstand the bending forces if mounted without the braces, but I wouldn't be too sure about the Defender crossmsmber.
Post #639455 24th Jul 2017 6:47pm
xcentric

hmmm understood. Problem is,I've also just found that the rear door won't shut with that one on, so I think it's a no go.....

It currently has a hitch point and I know Nato hitches get bolted direct to the cross member, so surely it should be string enough?
Post #639465 24th Jul 2017 7:18pm
miker

United Kingdom 1999 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Rioja Red
Best practice is to install NATO hitches with spreader plates, as the xmember metal isn't all that thick. They also transmit their force into the xmember, not a turning force.
Post #639480 24th Jul 2017 7:45pm
ARC99

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Cairns Blue
First of all, the DB adjustable tow hitch is designed with the arms that attach to the chassis for the reason as pointed out above, the rear cross member cannot take to weight of the trailer. To use it without the arms is not only dangerous but illegal.
I am sure I have seen the arms fitted to Land Rovers with fuel tank guards , have you spoken to DB to see if they can offer a solution?.

I don't believe that if you were unfortunate enough to be involved in an accident while towing a trailer your insurance company would even consider a claim if you had not fitted the tow bar correctly in accordance with the manufactures instructions.

If your rear door does not close after fitting then quiet simply you have fitted it incorrectly.

The larger slider will give you a lower tow ball position. Don't make old people mad.
We don't like being old in the first place,
so it doesn't take much to Censored us off.

Richard
Post #639578 25th Jul 2017 9:17am
xcentric

it's fitted correctly - just that the clearance isn't quite enough. Either that. or the holes in the cross member are in the wrong place.

Chatted to db; mostly unaware of the issue, and needed an email so waiting on their reply. And the drop plate does indeed give a lower tow ball position, but not low enough. Needs another 5cm at least for the double axle car trailer I have. The Defender has a slight lift and double rear springs, so it's higher than usual.
Post #639594 25th Jul 2017 10:34am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If the back door won't clear the Dixon Bate then it sounds as though it is fitted incorrectly.

Have you fitted the angle bracket beneath the crossmember, and bolted the Dixon Bate to the angle bracket as shown below?

Click image to enlarge
Post #639600 25th Jul 2017 11:18am
X4SKP

United Kingdom 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Stornoway Grey
Hello xcentric

You are I believe right...and I went through (more or less) your reasoning when considering what to do with mine.

In short I needed a Tow Ball height of 350mm
I used a 200mm DB Height Adjustable Drop Plate with Slider

Click image to enlarge

Actually I have 2 Sliders, one for a 50mm Ball and one for a Nato Hitch, this was the original set up...

Click image to enlarge

I have a NAS Rear Step Fitted...a good thing as it helps IMO to transfer
the forces across the Rear Cross Member (Central and far Left / Right)

The NAS Step also lowers the Towing Set Up by around 80-85mm
from that of bolting directly to the Rear Cross member.

I don't have a Fuel Tank Guard, but the 'Standard' Bracing for the NAS Step
links to the Chassis where your Guard is probably located.

I inverted my DB Unit (as you have considered doing) as it allowed a slight lower fixing Position.

After adding 1'' Lifters to my Rear Springs, I also added a 2'' Drop Plate to the Slider
this is only possible / legal to my understanding, on Vehicles that Do Not require a Type Approved Set Up

Click image to enlarge

My Bottom 'Slider' doesn't move, I have long Towing Bolts right through the arrangement
also picking up on some addition bracing metalwork to the lower section of the Set Up

This whole arrangement is a combination of Type Approved + Custom Components
which I believe is acceptable on a Defender (Light Good Vehicle) Not requiring a Type Approved Tow Frame

Click image to enlarge

Hope this helps, Good Luck... SKIP
https://www.defender2.net/forum/topic83242.html
Post #639606 25th Jul 2017 11:46am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1