Home > Puma (Tdci) > Ashcroft MT-82 shaft fitted today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 5 12345>
Print this entire topic · 
Shax

England 2010 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Ashcroft MT-82 shaft fitted today
Hi all,

here's a couple of pix of the worn output shaft and coupling from my 2010 90XS tdci..... Looks like it would have done a few more miles, but the wear patterns are easily seen, and knowing my luck, it would have packed up when stuck on a muddy byway, miles away from any mobile signal!!!

I had the Ashcroft Transmissions self lubing kit fitted today at Autoland 4 x 4 Services in Dunstable..
It only took them just over 3 hours to fit.
Hopefully this should last a bit longer than the original!

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 ... ,-------,
.. I [__][_]|__
.. I __ |"_|"__|
.. "(o)====(o)"
^^_-^-_^-^_^^^^^--^^^^
PAUL
G7ALW 14.200 USB
26FB458 / 27.275 SSB
Post #471008 9th Nov 2015 5:11pm
AlanH

Australia 
This is the shaft which failed on his 2007 110 and let a mate of mine down not long ago. Luckily he wasn't too remote but at a roadhouse on the Eyre Hwy at Balladonia WA. It was still a long expensive way home from there though.
His vehicle has always been fully serviced mostly by the stealers and this came as a very nasty shock. I think it's put him off LR products for ever....especially after having had a Nissan for some 20 years with no major breakdowns.
I've a 2010 110 and had the rear half shafts and plus all 4 driven parts replaced and transfer box when under warranty but am still thinking of getting this Ashcroft upgrade.
On second thoughts I might flog it instead.....as soon as the bloody broken aircon is fixed!
Bloody heap of badly slapped together crap.....but the Cook loves it. Crying or Very sad
AlanH.
Post #474477 20th Nov 2015 10:11am
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Is it really classed as an upgrade - it's a fix for an issue that appears to be happening at the build stage when the item isn't greased.

If the item is greased at build stage then it doesn't happen does it?
Post #474496 20th Nov 2015 10:50am
AlanH

Australia 
From Shax's pics it would seem there's never been any grease in there at all. My handbook says what type of grease should be used but when mine was having the transfer box replaced and I spoke to the service foreman at the stealers he said 'It is not a service job".... make of that what you will but I pleaded with him to use a couple of bobs worth of grease anyway. Whether they did or not I don't know but I doubt it.
Build quality appears to be non existent on LR products especially Defenders.
My elder bro who with his wife had something like 12 top of the line RRs over 20 years then a Lexus for 7 years after retiring, now a FL2... "If you want a top class ride spoilt by so called quirkiness and character and a vehicle which can find it's own way back to the dealers, buy Land Rover, if you want total reliability buy Lexus"
Younger bro has a RRS Autobiography, his first LR product and his last. Out of warranty soon and out the door. Rolling with laughter
I just wish I didn't have to buy something made in Asia to replace the Deafener, but what else is there?
AlanH.
Post #474508 20th Nov 2015 11:21am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Supacat wrote:
Is it really classed as an upgrade - it's a fix for an issue that appears to be happening at the build stage when the item isn't greased.

If the item is greased at build stage then it doesn't happen does it?

Indeed. As you know it is an issue that JLR have ignored instead the onus is placed on the owner if and when the vehicle fails to proceed.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic36916.html Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #474575 20th Nov 2015 2:37pm
R1200GS

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Keswick Green
Looks like Ashcroft have been busy selling their current stock as they are out at the moment according to their website.

Big Cry
Post #474601 20th Nov 2015 4:46pm
ashtrans
Site Sponsor

United Kingdom 
Hi,

More ready Monday, and yes, they are selling quite well !

Dave Dave
Post #474835 21st Nov 2015 2:19pm
analogalex

Hi David,

I have taken delivery of a MY16 Defender 130 would you recommend i do this modification? I'm a little worried it could let me down?? What is the newest one you have pulled apart recently to check?
Post #475135 22nd Nov 2015 2:26pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i have fitted this mod to mine, for the peace of mind, why wouldnt you. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #475261 22nd Nov 2015 9:28pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
It would be nice to know the percentage of vehicles that have this as an issue - although we never will, it must be fair to say that some vehicles, maybe the majority, did have grease installed when built and so will never experience this as an issue. So why fix a problem you don't know you have?

If you have the issue then there's plenty of tell tale signs of wear/knock so remedial action can be taken before all the inconvenience of a total failure somewhere less than ideal.

The official fix is a blob of weicon grease which should do the job, why make it more complicated and expensive?
Post #475393 23rd Nov 2015 1:02pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
i fitted it as mine needed replacing as it was worn from dry fitting.

my thoughts were i need new parts anyway, why not spend on the mod and not have to worry about checking it again. Cheers

James
110 XS Utility
130 Puma Station wagon/camper (in the making)
90 Puma Hardtop
Post #475918 24th Nov 2015 9:32pm
hornet

Guys,

could anyone please help me with this Ashcroft Kit for Replacement (description or order-number)? Due to the fact that my coupling had to be sorted at 80.000km (common spring issue) an now I reached 160.000, there could be a chance that I might need a new one -- again :blub:

In this case it seems to be clever to change that stuff....

Thanks!
Post #476026 25th Nov 2015 11:15am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
See http://www.ashcroft-transmissions.co.uk/mt...t-kit.html

All your questions will be answered!
Post #476028 25th Nov 2015 11:26am
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
[quote="Supacat"]It would be nice to know the percentage of vehicles that have this as an issue - although we never will, it must be fair to say that some vehicles, maybe the majority, did have grease installed when built and so will never experience this as an issue.

I'm on my 7th shaft replacement, models ranging from 2007 to 2014.
I've yet to find any evidence of any grease, in any of them!

The Ashcroft kit looks good, sensible money to have it fitted by them too. 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #476035 25th Nov 2015 11:58am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I think that probably all vehicles have this issue sooner or later, unless the factory has finally started applying grease on assembly, and I have not seen any evidence that they have started.

I am not sure where the MT82 box is actually assmbled onto the LT230, but this is where the job should be done. I suspect that transmissions arrive at Lode Lane pre-assembled from somewhere. Anyone actually know (I think I asked this once before but can't remember the answer).

What would, I think, be more interesting to know is the life expectancy of a properly greased assembly of standard parts, and the long term performance of the Ashcroft modified parts.

I changed my clutch at 150k miles last year and there was negligible wear on the output shaft splines (they were actually a better fit than the brand new parts I had bought in the expectation of needing). These are the original parts on a 2007 110, despite there being no evidence of anything recognisable as grease in the assembly. I reassembled the original parts with a new seal and cover with lashings of molybdenum disulphide grease, and look forward to seeing what it looks like when the next clutch goes in (which will probably be early next year at the 200k mile mark, since I don't reckon that a clutch lasts much more that 50k).

I don't know of anyone who's run a high mileage on the Ashcroft modified shaft but it would be of great interest to see one after say 50k or 100k miles.

I do think though that there must be another factor at work in the shaft failure scenario, since even allowing for different suppliers etc I fail to see otherwise how some fail at under 10k miles whilst others last 200k miles. I wouldn't mid betting that there is some kind of gearbox/transferbox alignment issue with some vehicles.
Post #476076 25th Nov 2015 2:25pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 5 12345>