↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Ashcroft MT-82 shaft fitted today
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 5 of 5 <12345
Print this entire topic · 
pannawonica

Australia 
I'm now back in Perth, we 60k's east! anyhow half way through epoxying my new shed floor and scoping out a car lift. Why? Because I got the dealer too change my shaft out and about 30thou k's its on the rattle again. Told them too grease it up but I wasn't there too watch. Big Cry Thumbs Up
Post #536774 2nd Jun 2016 8:46am
AlanH

Australia 
There will always be a feelable difference when matching shafts to gears Pickles. It's quite noticeable when you're assembling gearboxes as I used to.
The company I did my apprenticeship with had a tolerance of + or - 2 thou on all machined parts and I matched parts which gave the best feel ..... and if couldn't get a decent fit I'd go to the store and draw out more parts and return the ones I wasn't happy with.
I can't see that happening with the way these last Deafeners appear to be slapped together during the Ford days. In fact, because of the obvious penny pinching cheap nasty things they've done to various areas of the Deafener I'll never ever buy another Ford product.
As the independent bloke I have been using hasn't answered my query as to where this replacement kit (not Ashcroft kit) comes from I'll try someone else..... one thing I can't stand is the assumption that I'll be back anyway so why bother answering queries. The age of electronic ignorance.....
AlanH.
Post #536798 2nd Jun 2016 9:47am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Not so long ago I had chance to drive several Puma's, all new and with only a handful of miles under their belt. The difference in the amount of drive line backlash and noise from the diffs and gearboxes between the vehicles was really quite remarkable. One was as smooth as silk but the rest either whined or had poor synchro, clunks and / or incredible amounts of transmission shunt. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #536846 2nd Jun 2016 11:54am
Caterham

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
It's all about QA and tolerances. QA meaning quite a lot
Post #536889 2nd Jun 2016 1:29pm
pannawonica

Australia 
[quote="Happyoldgit"]Not so long ago I had chance to drive several Puma's, all new and with only a handful of miles under their belt. The difference in the amount of drive line backlash and noise from the diffs and gearboxes between the vehicles was really quite remarkable. One was as smooth as silk but the rest either whined or had poor synchro, clunks and / or incredible amounts of transmission shunt.[/quote] Don't get me started, the quality of fords vinyl! Td5 still look better ! Anyhow I don't understand why for all the clunks and whatever that burgers the hell out of me, I still could not sell it! I love seeing others enjoying the hell out of them and the wave. Her indoors still doesn't the wave but complies Thumbs Up Laughing
Post #536905 2nd Jun 2016 2:27pm
AlanH

Australia 
Just to revive this thread a bit.... I mentioned earlier a kit being used by the indy I was using in Perth WA and he has now advised me it was made up from original parts from LR. He's now not sure it's the best solution and advises me to get the Ashcroft stuff fitted.
He normally does this upgrade while fitting a new clutch or sorting g/box or transfer box problems none of which I seem to have (wonder why?) so I'm thinking of maybe getting the clutch done while the thing is in bits anyway.
Bloody Landrovers......
AlanH.
Post #538110 7th Jun 2016 8:26am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
If your clutch is working properly and you don't have early indications of the 'death rattle', I'd be inclined to leave it alone.

To change the output adaptor shaft requires the removal of the transfer box (which is not insignificant), but the main gearbox, gear shift assembly, clutch hydraulics, and exhaust pipe can all stay undisturbed. All of these need to be removed if the clutch is to be changed. Roughly speaking you'd be doubling the amount of work involved.

It is probably only worth doing if you think there is a reasonable likelihood that the clutch will need changing within the next year or so, and that will depend on whether you have early symptoms of imminent spring compression, the age of the clutch (later ones are better than earlier ones), and the mileage that the clutch has done and the vehicle does each year.

Unfortunately it is one of those situations where you will never know if you've made the right decision - unless you decide to take the clutch out and find the springs fall out on the floor!
Post #538137 7th Jun 2016 10:00am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 5 of 5 <12345