Home > Puma (Tdci) > Leaking rear...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
wyndyc

2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Indus Silver
Leaking rear...
Good evening

My MY13 Defender 90 has a leak that I would like to fix. I have tried solutions in the water ingress manual (this version), and searched throughout the forum, but am yet to find a solution.

During periods of rain, the load space collects surface water. Even when defender has not being driven. I originally thought it was due to an inadequate waist seals around the rear door (in fact, there were none!), allowing water to run down the outside edge of the flange were the door trim attaches, over the waist join, and down the inside edge to the loading bay. However, after further rain, there is just as much water collecting in the load space. I then removed the rear door seal entirely and saw patches of surface rust on the flange at the top of the door. I then removed the handles and pulled back the trim to reveal yet more surface rust on the inside of the flange (see photos).

It seems as though water is getting in somewhere above the seal, collecting in the seal to produce the surface rust, and also running down the seal into the load space. However, I can not find out where it is getting in. I have been through the following in the water ingress manual:

11.1 roof seams
11.2 rear end panel
11.3 drain channels
11.5 alpine light seals

I would be grateful for any advice/ suggestions on where the water might be getting in as I'm stuck for ideas!

Many thanks

(now with photos)

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #499649 2nd Feb 2016 8:32pm
Dave Bellis

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Keswick Green
Warranty issue...............
Post #499836 3rd Feb 2016 10:51am
andydef90

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 HT Corris Grey
as above get in touch with land rover asap as yours could be near end of warranty
Post #499885 3rd Feb 2016 1:30pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
It never fails to amaze me how varied the build quality is on the Pumas.

Mine is a 2008MY and there's no sign whatsoever of this type of corrosion. I'm not trying to make the OP feel worse but a 2013 car surely should look almost new still. it's not even 3 yrsd old! 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #499928 3rd Feb 2016 3:43pm
wyndyc

Thanks guys. It went to the dealer earlier this week on this issues plus a few other. They said that it is clear that a previous owner (not me) has done some work to the car, which has voided the warranty! I went to see the dealer again this morning and showed him the rust (not highlighted by them on Monday) and my handy work on the waist joins. He said the door seal on other defenders is significantly stiffer than the one I have - this one is quite easy to pull off the flange - and he suggested replacing that . I've ordered a new aperture seal and lower tailgate seal so will see how I get on, but unfortunately, getting it looked at under warranty does not seem to be an option in this instance.
Post #499931 3rd Feb 2016 3:47pm
Wild Card 90

England 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Indus Silver
Wow, my sympathy to you. That is a real horror story. You donīt normally see that much rust on the unprotected chassis of a 2 year old Defender, let alone under the roof lining inside one!
Those pictures and a nice little letter to your dealer, copied direct to JLR, maybe through Ryan, ought to do the job. You and your Defender deserve better, sir. 1998 Tdi 90 SW,
2008 Td4 90 SW,
2012 2.2 90 SW,
2" raised Trailmaster/Terrafirma
Heavy Track Raids, 255 MTīs,
Recaro CSīs, anorak, wellingtons
Post #499933 3rd Feb 2016 3:47pm
RRUK
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Did a Land Rover Dealer supply the vehicle because if they did it shouldn't matter what a previous owner did or did not do, it was their duty to check the car and sell it appropriately. 2016 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB Petrol
Post #499934 3rd Feb 2016 3:48pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Who is your dealer?

Raise it directly with Ryan on the PR forum:

http://www.defender2.net/forum/land-rover-...-vf41.html
Post #499936 3rd Feb 2016 3:49pm
wyndyc

Just to clarify on the vehicle's priors - the dealer said it is clear the previous owner has had the top off the body, had it re-sprayed (the edge of the foam waist seal has been sprayed over), and did not replace the waist join seals when reassembling. Despite the rust well above the waist join, I was told this invalidates any claim on the rusty flange, despite it being well above the join! I struggle to see how the two are connected, so if the new seals don't solve the problem, I suspect a letter in may be the way to go...

Thanks again for the reassurances!

PS I bought it late last year from an independent - so may also take this up with them.
Post #499938 3rd Feb 2016 3:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1