↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > What if anything did I do wrong?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
JBC

What if anything did I do wrong?
I was trying to pull a field shelter to a new spot and had gone about 100m in low range when I got stoped
with front wheels spinning, by the shelter digging in a bit, and a gentle slope starting. Wet grass. The shelter had gouged a bit of a track already but nothing too bad. I selected diff lock but the same happened and I couldn't move. I was in first low but didn't go mad with the throttle as I didn't want to damage the shelter if I got traction.
Why didn't the rear wheels drive as they didn't slip?
Why didn't tc engage?
What should I do differently?

It's a 110 2.2 puma utility xs with standard boosts and tyres (cross contact)

Click image to enlarge

Thanks
Jon
Post #581176 28th Nov 2016 9:27pm
apt100

United Kingdom 2016 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Just checking... after engaging diff lock you are sure you had both front wheels spinning and neither rear wheel spinning?

(typo edit)

Last edited by apt100 on 28th Nov 2016 10:39pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #581187 28th Nov 2016 10:02pm
agentmulder

Kuwait 
Also, by diff lock on do you mean lever to the left, or lever to the left and diff lock light on? Solved the bowel problem, working on the consonants...
Post #581200 28th Nov 2016 10:22pm
JBC

Lever to left and light on
Jon
Post #581205 28th Nov 2016 10:40pm
JBC

Meant to add.... front wheels span but not rears as observed by my partner and evidenced by the tyre marks on the grass

Jon
Post #581206 28th Nov 2016 10:42pm
DSC-off

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Traction Control on a Defender only works on the rear axle, not all 4 wheels like most other LR models.
So if centre diff lock wasn't properly engaged and one (or both) of the front wheels were spinning, and both the rears were stopped, the TC system would not activate.
There isn't sufficient speed difference between the rear wheels to make the system apply the brakes on the fastest one.

Trying to gently pull a building uphill, on a wet grassy slope, after digging in, is probably the cause of the problem. Combining all the factors, event with the diff lock in and TC working is a lot to ask.
Post #581208 28th Nov 2016 11:04pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
You'd have probably been better on hi range 1st with diff loved on anti stall or 2nd or 3rd low with diff locked. If your course was quite straight I'd have diff locked but not so if it isn't or it'll likely cause even more dig in.
The deciding factor I'd blame myself would by tyre's, an ATR or MTR would have more bite even or grass than those.
After having GG TR tyre's which are similar to Contis I'd never go back from at leat a BFG ATR, but in my case I prefer a MTR the KM2.
Unstoppable tyre.

So in effect I'd blame your rubber, more than yourself. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #581212 28th Nov 2016 11:21pm
Paulv8

1989 Defender 90 V8 Petrol CSW Alpine White
i think I would have engaged diff lock to start with bud. once you were dug in on road tyres its a bit late. V8 90...WIP
Post #581216 28th Nov 2016 11:24pm
nosnibod

United Kingdom 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi SW Bronze Green
Assuming everything is in working order if diff-lock is engaged and a front wheel is spinning then at least one rear wheel must also be spinning - that's the way diff-lock works - drive goes to the front and rear axles.

So, there are a number of possibilities if the rear wheels truly weren't turning at all:-

- diff-lock may not be working, despite the indicator light.
- diff-lock may in fact be engaged all the time (despite the light) and a rear half-shaft or diff may be broken, leaving the vehicle in front-wheel drive only.

On the question of traction control, on a 2.2 Puma at least the TC is 4-channel and works on both front and rear axles, however it does work very differently to earlier systems. In short, it's progressive - you need to hold the revs at 1200-1800 or so for what seems like quite a long time (up to 10 seconds or so). The system will gently apply the brake to the spinning wheel, then if it's still spinning faster than other wheel on the same axle then it will apply the brake harder and harder. I tried this in quite a few circumstances and it was fascinating to watch. What IS off-putting is the god-awful racket the TC makes whilst it's working - it sounds like mechanical torture when in fact it's just the shuttle-valves doing their thing. It's weird the Defender screaming for mercy but with an instructor calmly saying "just hold the revs, give it chance to work..."!

In October I took a refresher course at Eastnor Land Rover Experience and gave the TC system a really good workout and it IS counter-intuitive to keep giving it some revs for what seems like ages after you'd have normally given up. It goes completely against what feels right just to hold the revs whilst the TC slwly works it out. Nevertheless that's exactly what it does. On one sharp, slippery right hander I was able to hang out of the window and watch the front-right wheel spinning and then progressively slowing over perhaps six seconds as the TC progressively braked it harder and harder until eventually we started moving again.

TC doesn't make diff-lock redundant - TC is reactive and works when grip has been lost. Diff-lock not only makes TC far less likely to be required in the first place, but also halves the problem for the TC to attempt to solve (i.e. it can treat each axle separately).

So in the situation described by JBC I would have expected the TC to kick in eventually, diff-lock or not. However it is very tempting on losing forward motion on slippery surfaces to give up immediately to protect the surface and stop digging yourself in. However with later TC systems you need to give them a lot more time to do their thing. Dave
Green Goddess - 1998 Defender 110 300tdi
Post #581240 29th Nov 2016 7:30am
JBC

I wondered if I needed to give it a bit more throttle before the tc would work. I'll try it next time. Although it started to dig in I was aware of it starting and didn't want to trash the field so stopped. My main concern is that the rear wheels didn't bite despite diff lock being in. Perhaps it hadn't engaged properly as I only locked it once stuck?
Thanks for all your responses. I'll bear them in mind next time I try to move the shelter and let you know how I get on.

Regards

Jon
Post #581430 29th Nov 2016 9:54pm
JBC

Well thanks for all your advice. I followed it to the letter and got traction!

Unfortunately the field shelter maintained its traction too.

The defender moved forward about 15m with the front end of the field shelter. The rest stayed where it was. I now have a large pile of firewood! Oops. I have a rebuild project on my hands. Any advice on that too?!

Click image to enlarge
Post #582254 2nd Dec 2016 8:38pm
LR90XS2011

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Galway Green
LOL the romans etc used round things like tree trunks to good effect when moving heavy stuff cross country with a few slaves DEFENDER 90 TDCI XS,

I hope everyone is well and your land rovers make you happy
Post #582259 2nd Dec 2016 8:43pm
ian series 1

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 CSW Bonatti Grey
Oh dear!... Neutral 80" 80" 86" 88" 90"

Wanted, Forward Control Anything considered.
Post #582262 2nd Dec 2016 8:45pm
jst

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
DSC-off wrote:
Traction Control on a Defender only works on the rear axle, not all 4 wheels

really? where did you find that out from? Cheers

James
110 2012 XS Utility
130 2011 M57 bespoke Camper
90 2010 Hardtop
90 M57 1988 Hardtop
Post #582265 2nd Dec 2016 8:53pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
Sorry but I just have to have a little snigger. I used to make a living making the things and seeing how some were put together it's a wonder some of them are still standing.
I've moved a fair few over the years and every time I've been out to move a skid type one I allways go round them with a decent crowbar and a block to lift it up out of the ground and drop it back down on some scrap bearers. Mainly to "unstick" it from it's position and allow it to start sliding easily and also to check its "robustness" to see if it needs any internal bracing.
I still have one of the older shelters that are on caster wheels and a rubber skirt all around it. These have a metal frame that is incorporated in the first 3' of the height and have an A frame that can be bolted on either end like below

Click image to enlarge

When it comes to putting yours back together a couple of decent lorry load straps are quite usefull to keep everything back into place while your putting the fixings in. These fixings are quite usefull and easy to put in with a cordless drill http://www.screwfix.com/p/fastenmaster-tim...pack/56926

You could allways bolster up the corners by nailing some tin straps round the corners and screw them into the horizontal rails at the top and the bottom Thumbs Up
Post #582277 2nd Dec 2016 9:30pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>