↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Which Spare Wheel Carrier?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 3 of 5 <12345>
Print this entire topic · 
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
It occurs to me that you cannot (as far as I know) open the rear doors of a Police "bully van" from the inside (for obvious reasona) but as far as I know they are legal in the UK! Similarly I imagine that prison vans (except possibly those operated by Group 4) are similarly designed.

I wonder if there actually is a legal requirement to be able to open the door from the inside and if type approval depends upon it, or if it is actually just one of those common sense things - it's stupid if you can't.

If I remember and can be bothered I will dig out my C&U Regs and see if we can find out.
Post #469391 4th Nov 2015 5:23pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Whilst Alan Sugar's search for an apprentice continues, my search for a spare wheel carrier is nearing its conclusion. Thanks to all of your comments, I have narrowed it down to two. I've read so much bad press about Britpart that I've decided to reject this one immediately. The Kaymar and the Alisport are both two stage opening, I would prefer to have the carrier connected to the rear door for ease of opening, also considered safety aspect of not being able to open rear door from inside. I am put off the Mantec due to its two point fixing, I don’t really want to drill the bodywork for the top fixing. So it leaves me with my short list of the Nakatanenga and the Safari Equipment single pivot carrier.

I have to confess to having a fetish for all things stainless so it looks like the Nakatanenga, though in black finish rather than natural to match the 90 in Santorini black. I also prefer its ball and socket arrangement to the piston set up. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Post #469423 4th Nov 2015 6:22pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Both are great choices. Did you consider the single pivot Safari at all? No piston set up on that one. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #469447 4th Nov 2015 6:47pm
discomog

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Santorini Black
Hi K9F, Yes it was the single pivot Safari that I was comparing with the Nakatanenga. I think it is the fact that the Nakatanenga is manufactured from stainless that has swung it in their favour, as I've said I'm a bit of a stainless fan.
Post #469499 4th Nov 2015 8:35pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Whilst I have not seen the actual regulations regarding the legality of 2 stage opening wheel carriers and passengers in the rear of vehicles, the person who informed me is normally very clued up on vehicle law.

The law can change between countries about vehicle construction etc. However anything which prevents easy access from a vehicle can increase the danger in the event of an incident.

Apart from police paddy wagons and security wagons how does the use of child vehicle locks also impact on safety in the event of an incident? A case of balance of probabilities??

Good choice on the wheelcarrier discomog.

Brendan
Post #469530 4th Nov 2015 9:46pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
I really like the components used in this kit -

http://rijidijoffroad.bounce.com.au/#/kit-page/4551195113

Click image to enlarge

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #469546 4th Nov 2015 10:19pm
nitram17

discomog wrote:
Whilst Alan Sugar's search for an apprentice continues, my search for a spare wheel carrier is nearing its conclusion. Thanks to all of your comments, I have narrowed it down to two. I've read so much bad press about Britpart that I've decided to reject this one immediately. The Kaymar and the Alisport are both two stage opening, I would prefer to have the carrier connected to the rear door for ease of opening, also considered safety aspect of not being able to open rear door from inside. I am put off the Mantec due to its two point fixing, I don’t really want to drill the bodywork for the top fixing. So it leaves me with my short list of the Nakatanenga and the Safari Equipment single pivot carrier.

I have to confess to having a fetish for all things stainless so it looks like the Nakatanenga, though in black finish rather than natural to match the 90 in Santorini black. I also prefer its ball and socket arrangement to the piston set up. Thanks to everyone for their input.

If you want corner bumpers as well the safari single pivot is compatable with the safari corner bumpers....the nakatenenga ones dont have a compatible set yet!The safari single pivot carrier is a great product and will last a lifetime if cared for...... the nakatenanga is ss and a great product but is £120 + more expensive than the safari carrier i dont see the benefit myself but its your money!
Post #469606 5th Nov 2015 3:01am
cozz

well, ive gone with a mantec from Flatdog

special offer of £180 plus vat and FREE fitting

booked it in, drove up to their place this morn for 8:30, they had 2 guys on it, who had obviously fitted them many times before, about half an hour later its all done,

and then bought/fitted some LED light set while I was there too

much recommended
Post #473513 17th Nov 2015 3:54pm
isacs

United Kingdom 
Just out of interest, does the naka-thingy carrier fit with an NAS rear step?
Post #479917 7th Dec 2015 11:25am
nakatanenga

Germany 
Hi,

our carrier will fit with the NAS step. WANTED:

SII or SIII in max 1.5k
Post #479940 7th Dec 2015 1:53pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
We fitted one to a D2 member 90 with NAS step in October.

Needed a little push to get the main mounting bracket to slide between the NAS step rubber and the rear cross member.

Other then that a straight forward fit.

Brendan
Post #479950 7th Dec 2015 2:36pm
GSLRO

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 CSW Chawton White
Alisport/Sonic wheel carrier on my 110, came with the vehicle so no experience to compare, but much easier to close the door compared with my mates with spare on the door.

Click image to enlarge
 Adventure isn't paved!
Post #480064 7th Dec 2015 8:19pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pickles

Australia 2013 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
Supacat wrote:
I really like the components used in this kit -

http://rijidijoffroad.bounce.com.au/#/kit-page/4551195113

Click image to enlarge

This guy has an excellent reputation in Australia, for a quality, well built, product
Pickles.

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green
Post #480075 7th Dec 2015 9:21pm
LRmud

Scotland 1989 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Baltic Blue
As a footnote to this thread, I'd like to add that the Safari Equip unit is great but for one thing....

I recently bought one and got the plain galvanised version. It works perfectly - good coating, swings out with door, has grease nipples fitted at all pivot points, etc

but it came with plain zinc coated nuts and bolts. No option for stainless.

So, I bought the stainless equivalents at a local stockist and now am unlikely to suffer any rust staining further down the road. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1989 Defender 90
Toyota Aygo & Honda FR-V
Post #495641 23rd Jan 2016 9:55pm
chrispy

Wales 1987 Defender 90 300 Tdi CSW Keswick Green
I installed the Mantec one over Christmas and it's very solid with no rattles or squeaks whatsoever. The lovely lady who answered the phone at Mantec did me a cracking deal on it also saving me well over £40. Very impressed indeed.
Post #495913 24th Jan 2016 8:17pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 3 of 5 <12345>