↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > engine problem
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12
Print this entire topic · 
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
blackwolf wrote:
What year did the PCJ problem get sorted at source? I have a feeling that 2010 is possibly just old enough to suffer from it, which, if so, could indicate knackered pistons and bores and bearing damage throughout.

If this is suspected, check sump and filter for metal fragments and if necessary remove the head to inspect the bores. If the vehicle has a full LR service history LR may assist with the cost if it is this.

Beginning of 2009, end of the '58 plates/start of the '09 plates.
Post #445165 11th Aug 2015 12:27pm
Mogboy

Australia 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Belize Green
Ok if it were mine & still appearing to run fine, I would definitely NOT jump in and book a rebuild based on the mechanics comment. Far too often they are wrong. Instead, start with the following...

1. If the oil gets pretty dirty (eg won't wipe off your hands at oil change, or when checking the oil), it may indicate sticking oil rings, rather than worn out engine. Engine wear can be within serviceable limits, and still use a lot of oil with fouled piston rings. If so, they can be freed up economically and with little effort...(something I'm involved with in Australia). PM me if you need any assistance from this aspect.

2. Get an oil sample analysed. When you get the lab report back, ring the lab and ask to speak to an interpreter, who will explain the report and likely issues. This should arm you with a lot better information in making your decision to rebuild or not.
Post #445949 14th Aug 2015 2:03am
boiler

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Keswick Green
Hi all

thanks so much for all your help 110 been in garage today and had injectors removed cleaned and new copper washers .
The back pressure as stopped so i will have to keep an eye on oil levels so hoping all is fixed .
Post #448141 21st Aug 2015 8:48pm
dgardel

Italy 
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Discovery 5 td6 HSE Stornoway Gray Outback Engineering Limited Edition

IID Pro MV License
Post #448183 21st Aug 2015 10:38pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
miket

Out of interest, roughly how much did it cost to have your injectors cleaned and reseated etc?

Thanks

Mike
Post #448405 23rd Aug 2015 6:05am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12