↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > My MY2014 Puma and the 1500rpm pogoing/hopping/hiccupping.
Does your TDCi 2.2 Puma suffer from pogoing/lurching or similar around 15rpm in 2nd gear?
Yes, and I'm really frustrated by it.
67%
 67%  [25]
No
21%
 21%  [8]
Yes, but it's just a Puma thing - live with it.
10%
 10%  [4]
Total Votes: 37

Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
redzob

Guernsey 2015 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
My MY2014 Puma and the 1500rpm pogoing/hopping/hiccupping.
Hi all,

I've been a member of this group for the last 6 months or so and am really grateful to everyone for their time and useful advice.

However, since new my Puma has had the really frustrating rev-hang, pogo, hopping, hiccupping, backlash issue specifically around 1500rpm in 2nd gear, especially when under load or attempting to travel over rough ground (and ironically in slow moving traffic).

I keep reading various descriptions of issues which all sound very similar to this from many Puma owners. Is it just me or are we all actually talking about the same thing? I think I find it so frustrating because it happens at exactly the point where a landy should have most control, and I often find myself having to disengage the clutch to stop the effect.

I've driven many different vehicles but never had to be so tentative on the accelerator and the backlash (or whatever it is) can give the impression of a transmission equivalent to a box of spanners (my wife often looks at me as if to say 'can't you drive this thing?'). My conclusion is this is actually a fault with the tdci - from the sounds of it, specifically the 2.2 and I think LR should be looking to fix it, but this would require some pressure from us?

A first for me, but I'm going to attempt to start a poll to see if anyone else agrees... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Way too many racing bikes.
Post #384953 4th Jan 2015 9:04pm
redzob

Bump Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #385069 5th Jan 2015 8:23am
Spookytooth

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Aintree Green
Mine and many other forum members had or have exactly the same problem. Afraid the 2.2 Puma is just not fit for purpose, too many add ons and adjustments to ensure conformity with legislation without any consideration for overall impact. All the development has gone into pandering to owners vanity, hence colours, wheel choices, internal luxuries have all moved with the times whilst the engine and drive train have gone backwards
The 2.2 is really only any use for motorway cruising, it lacks the level of control required for demanding off-roading, town driving or low speed manoeuvre.
Previous posts on the same subject were rewarded with lots of advice on how to drive usually in a very patronising if we'll intentioned manner so you may well end up thinking your wife was right after all!
Good luck, only solution I found was the same as yours is quick stab at the clutch pedal and forget control just avoid embarrassment
Post #385087 5th Jan 2015 10:04am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
There is a bucket load (well 26) threads pertaining the 'rev hang' issue on a 2.2. I don't have a 2.2 but based on the frustrations of an old mate that had a 2.2 I have voted on his behalf as he is no longer with us. I hope your quest comes to fruition......

http://www.defender2.net/forum/search.php?...rch_time=0 If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #385089 5th Jan 2015 10:05am
redzob

Spookytooth wrote:
Mine and many other forum members had or have exactly the same problem. Afraid the 2.2 Puma is just not fit for purpose, too many add ons and adjustments to ensure conformity with legislation without any consideration for overall impact. All the development has gone into pandering to owners vanity, hence colours, wheel choices, internal luxuries have all moved with the times whilst the engine and drive train have gone backwards
The 2.2 is really only any use for motorway cruising, it lacks the level of control required for demanding off-roading, town driving or low speed manoeuvre.
Previous posts on the same subject were rewarded with lots of advice on how to drive usually in a very patronising if we'll intentioned manner so you may well end up thinking your wife was right after all!
Good luck, only solution I found was the same as yours is quick stab at the clutch pedal and forget control just avoid embarrassment

I completely agree - I didn't buy the truck for its motorway capabilities... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #385098 5th Jan 2015 10:45am
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
The 'self styled Aficionado' Diesel Yoda who didn't actually state who he was or where he worked seemed to claim a fix was in the pipeline. Working currently on the 2.4 (why I don't exactly know or care) the 2.2 was next.

DieselYoda wrote:
Rover:sorry for the late reply,been out testing. We are currently putting the final touches on the 2.4L Re-Calibration packages including engine teardown,inspection and rebuild.I am hoping i can have all of the 2.4L work done by end of Feb-2015 after which i will focus on the 2.2L Re-Calibration release. Regards DieselYoda

Wonder if he has a 'Q' or an 'M' or perhaps wears his underpants over his overalls? Laughing

Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #385120 5th Jan 2015 1:00pm
redzob

Yes I saw that thread, but then I've also seen ones suggesting a lack of grease in the gearbox, turbo lag, clutch actuation point, poor mating of gearbox to engine etc. the list goes on. Regardless, I do genuinely think there's a generic problem here and worry about the life expectancy of the 2.2 lump.... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #385123 5th Jan 2015 1:28pm
redzob

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post385250.html#385250

Is this not the same issue? Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #385281 5th Jan 2015 9:52pm
rover

United Kingdom 
I have been moaning on about how rubbish my 2.2 is in 2nd gear for ages. Juddering kangarooing etc. land rover don't want to know. I would love it if someone finds a fix but I won't hold my breath. I am afraid It's no more land rovers for me, the 2.2 driving characteristics at low speed are a joke.
Post #385351 6th Jan 2015 12:17am
RobKeay

United Kingdom 2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I've answered no. I currently have an my14. However my my12 did this terribly. Never solved it but needed a 110 not a 90 so sold it.
Post #385362 6th Jan 2015 12:44am
MikeJ

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Fuji White
The most frustrating thing is that it seems so unpredictable.
It's easy to reproduce for me at low speed when the engine's cold.
Anecdotally, it doesn't seem as bad after a long run.
(Presume mine's a MY14, registered late Nov 2013)
Post #385463 6th Jan 2015 2:44pm
MOve

England 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 CSW Keswick Green
hi,

Just a thought.

If you don't have this problem are you less likely to be interested enough to open this thread and then vote? Very Happy

Martin
Post #385498 6th Jan 2015 6:03pm
redzob

Hi Martin - yes I considered that but couldn't figure out a way to solve it. The challenge of polling I guess... Defender Puma 2.2 XS 90
Vespa GTS 300
Post #385510 6th Jan 2015 6:27pm
tookaphotoof

Netherlands 2013 Defender 130 Puma 2.2 HCPU Santorini Black
Spookytooth wrote:

Sorry to hear your problems, I must be a lucky man. Had some warranty work done on mine since I bought it new 2013. Only one more niggle (indicator stalk) to solve by Land Rover.
However, about the engine / gearbox, I'm completely satisfied. They both are great apart from the engine lacking a bit power on motorways I have no problems whilst off-roading or driving around town. No pogoing during traffic jams either.
Find the clutch dead easy to control during precise manoeuvring, no matter if I'm on the road or on a off road play site.
It's not hard to believe some have problems with their car, but I don't think that will make every Defender a bad car. Smile
Post #385528 6th Jan 2015 7:06pm
Iktank

Wales 2014 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 SW Corris Grey
redzob wrote:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/post385250.html#385250

Is this not the same issue?

yes same issue
Post #385564 6th Jan 2015 8:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>