↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > ITG Filter
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
ITG Filter
Would those of you that have fitted an ITG Filter, recommend one?

I've had one before on a Clio 197 and a K&N on a Honda Civic Diesel. The Civic sounded absolutely horrific when it was fitted.
Post #378606 13th Dec 2014 11:59am
custom90

United Kingdom 
K9F here has one, I run Genuine. A bit conflicting really as you'll hear no complaints from me with genuine or the ITG from Mal.
Post #378608 13th Dec 2014 12:06pm
K9F

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
'Conflicting opinions' is correct..... Whistle

Ultimately "Yes Steve is correct" I have been running with an ITG Filter since 2009 and to be perfectly honest had just about forgotten it was there. It has not given me any issues and I suppose good service. Would I buy again?....Yes probably as the vehicle was and still is a keeper. If you've no RAI or snorkel fitted you do get a nice discernible intake growl on take up as a result. Got mine from here.....

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s/itg-air-filters If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Treat every day as if it is your last....one day you will be right!!
Post #378613 13th Dec 2014 12:24pm
gilarion

Wales 2007 Defender 90 Other CSW Trident Green
I have a Piper Cross performance filter fitted; to be honest I do not feel I get any more improved performance than the genuine one that came fitted to the engine. However as K9F has already mentioned these type of filters are sort of fit and forget and I suppose over time they pay for themselves. Whether they improve performance, economy or anything else I am not so sure about.

Various ads say performance air filters improve HP, some stating by up to 30 horses, personally I find that hard to believe. All I can say is that paper filters are restrictive with air passage, whereas the material used in these aftermarket filters is far less restrictive and as all engines rely on air for combustion the more air and the easier it is for the engine to pull in that air I suppose the better the burn.
Post #378614 13th Dec 2014 12:45pm
K9F

People 'claim' the oil medium used to catch the small particles in these type of filters have been known to contaminate the MAF sensor. Pete from BAS was carrying out some investigative work and was offering forum members (running his map) free MAF sensors in exchange for your old one. I took up on his offer (despite not having his map but another one) and after over two years of running with the filter there was no evidence of oil contamination on mine. Not really significant but I did bin my old map and move to his later on.

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic5611.h...maf+sensor

Any HP gains (or losses) are indeed negligable and not noticed. Thumbs Up If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Last edited by K9F on 13th Dec 2014 1:08pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #378616 13th Dec 2014 1:04pm
pannawonica

Australia 
You would need an engine the size of a small block Chevy too get 30 Bhp improvement with just an filter change. In the bull dust I would stick with genuine, you have got too ask yourself how these filters achieve this claimed greater airflow and at the expence of what. Very Happy Thumbs Up
Post #378617 13th Dec 2014 1:08pm
K9F

What's bull dust? All we have is bullsh** over here! Rolling with laughter If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #378618 13th Dec 2014 1:10pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Ours has a snorkel fitted, so would you not bother?

Merlin are local to me, so was going to go and collect one
Post #378624 13th Dec 2014 1:30pm
Iain

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
I ran one in my D2 TD5 for 25k and 2.5-3 years. Each year gave it a hoover, bit of a clean and a light oil if it needed it. Only used in the UK and with no harsh dusty conditions.

But... My car started running with a noticable loss of get up and go, did the usual checks with nanocom etc (I should have checked the air filter sooner) but the cause was the ITG filter foam parting from the metal frame work and then the foam tearing. Which gave me too much air hence the fault code and poor running, more importantly it gave me zero filtration.

I fitted the ITG filter same time as a de-egr and de-cat so can't really say how much difference it alone made, but I will stick with genuine now unless on bigger engines or higher end tunes where it will make more of a difference.

The ITG instructions use the words fit and forget, I disagree, you need to fit and check its condition regularly.

My lessons learned anyway.
Post #378625 13th Dec 2014 1:34pm
K9F

Catherine the choice really is yours alone to make. Merlin were local to me too so I popped along and picked one up as well. As stated I would buy again!

Go quickly before someone puts you off would be my advice. (**Edit** Someone beat me to it Laughing ) Mine is a 08 2.4 Puma and it was one of the very first of a long line of modifications....I now have decat and EGR closed map and I had indeed fitted and forgotten with no issues whatsoever over 5 years. Thumbs Up Laughing If you go through life with your head in the sand....all people will see is an ar5e!!

Post #378626 13th Dec 2014 1:34pm
CatherineF

United Kingdom 
Thank's K9.
Post #378631 13th Dec 2014 1:47pm
Supacat

United Kingdom 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS DCPU Keswick Green
Iain wrote:
the ITG filter foam parting from the metal frame work and then the foam tearing.

Same issue for me with one - wouldn't fit one in an off road vehicle.
Post #378765 13th Dec 2014 9:48pm
Fatboy Slim

Wales 
Waste of good money. Put genuine paper ones in it, at least you can bang the worst of the muck out on the side of the road if you ever need to.....
Post #378782 13th Dec 2014 10:28pm
Cupboard

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 HT Corris Grey
This thread may be of interest:
http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic21125....ce+filters

I can't comment on the different types, but I have experienced the difference that a new filter makes compared to just blowing one out. They're so cheap in the grand scheme of things I think it's worth changing pretty regularly. We had no end of problems a little while back with our generator which eventually turned out to just be the air filter requiring changing, and we've noticed the general improvements in running in changing air filters more regularly than you're "supposed" to. They're not on the 500 hours service for our tractors (I have a feeling they're actually only a 2000 hours service item) but at about £40 for the pair we reckon it's worth doing for the improved economy and performance.
Post #378810 14th Dec 2014 1:51am
RED-DOT

Scotland 
Mmmm i think i fitted one.... 2008 RS4 gone, 123d M Sport, and a Puma 90 XS..
Post #378857 14th Dec 2014 11:09am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>