↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Fuel pressure regulator
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Trossachs turbo

Scotland 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Fuel pressure regulator
I changed injector washers last year,remap,egr removed, noticed a gradual increase in oil level in sump. My question is can the fuel pressure regulator leak into the engine. It is leaking externally very slightly.Have drained and re-filled the oil.2005 TD5
Post #265233 10th Sep 2013 5:15pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
No, regulator isn't oil fed. it only leaks "out" (over the starter/bellhousing joint/clutch Sad )

Oil sump rise is generally head crack. Is it an early 10P engine? these tend to go more than the later ones.
Post #265238 10th Sep 2013 5:27pm
Trossachs turbo

Scotland 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Oslo Blue
Thanks Jim, a later engine, will monitor.runs really well and torque etc all good.I was a bit sloppy when I did the last service and have taken more care this time
Post #265240 10th Sep 2013 5:32pm
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Could be you just overfilled last time? (although even the best engine would use a little oil I'd have though?)

I had a leaking regulator. I tried one of the £10 seal kits off eblag, and touch-wood, it's stayed leak free so far, couple of thousand miles down the road.
Post #265251 10th Sep 2013 6:05pm
jimbob7

Would you not be able to smell diesel in the oil??
Post #265302 10th Sep 2013 7:49pm
Skye_Rover

Scotland 1998 Defender 110 300 Tdi CSW Cairns Blue
Did you check the injector seats for cleanliness and clean as appropriate? Fuel leakage is also likely if the sealing O rings do not get changed or get damaged on injector fitting. Cheap O rings are never that great a saving on these engines, better to put the genuine items in, and do the job once!! Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.
Post #265305 10th Sep 2013 7:51pm
MadTom

Czech Republic 1999 Defender 130 Td5 HCPU Baltic Blue
Older Euro 2 engines (10P) have less problem with head fractures and diesel leaking into oil, then the newer Euro 3 engines (15P). The problem of newer engines is moddified head with thinner part holding the injector inside, so it can easily crack. It is a design fail, but now it is possible to buy a new upgraded head. I have seen some 2004 Discovery 2 with this problem.
Post #270810 1st Oct 2013 9:11pm
austinhealey55

2003 Defender 110 Td5 HT Chawton White
I've noticed when checking my oil that the Td5 is quite sensitive to the angle it's sitting at. As I remember the dipstick sits in the front right section of the oil pan, so if the car is on a slight downhill and leaning a bit to the right it will read high. I always make sure to park it on a level area to check the oil now (after changing the sump gasket and seeing where the dipstick reads I now know this).

Also you can do the "paper towel" test that I've heard works to test the oil for diesel. Google 'paper towel diesel oil' and you'll see the way to do it -- basically just a drop of oil onto a paper towel. Not sure how accurate it is but it may give you an idea. The theory is that the diesel will separate from the oil, leaving an outer ring of diesel and an inner ring of oil. Another option would be a oil analysis. I've found companies in the states that will send you a free container/mailer and to send it off to be analyzed, there may be something similar where you live too.

Also I bought a fuel regulator rebuild kit from kms001 on ebay and got the Bosch regulator part no. 0280160575. Rebuilt mine, not too bad to do and has worked well. That Bosch part has an extra little drain pipe on it that doesn't affect anything, I actually put a small piece of hose off of the drain so if it was to drain, it wouldn't do so onto the tranny/clutch etc.
Post #271601 5th Oct 2013 1:50pm
JWL

England 2002 Defender 110 Td5 SW Coniston Green
I've just changed my FPR for an ebay bargain, it came off an 2006 build 15p engine as after a couple of reseal kits the valve itself began to leak. If you think you have issues with diesel filling the sump you will definately smell diesel when you take the rocker cover off to do my injector rockers and seals but as mentioned above there can be noticable differences with dip stick levels at different angles. I try to.check mine after standing overnight especially as it is parked in the same position and when the seals were leaking you could see a definate rise over a couple of days.
Post #271609 5th Oct 2013 2:31pm
v8bobber

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Java Black
MadTom wrote:
Older Euro 2 engines (10P) have less problem with head fractures and diesel leaking into oil, then the newer Euro 3 engines (15P). The problem of newer engines is moddified head with thinner part holding the injector inside, so it can easily crack. It is a design fail, but now it is possible to buy a new upgraded head. I have seen some 2004 Discovery 2 with this problem.

I was under the impression that it was the other way around. The older heads had the diesel return pipe in the head and it was this thin material that lead to the head cracking internally and the diesel leaking into the sump.

The later 15p E3 engines had an external fuel rail which negated the thinness of the material in the head.

I did a fair bit of research into this because I put a later 15p engine in a "10p" vehicle. There's lots of differences including stuff like higher pressure injectors , head, and piston design.

Dave
Post #271738 6th Oct 2013 12:31am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1