↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > Cancelled delivery of my 90
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
BSA627

Cancelled delivery of my 90
I was due to take delivery of a 2012 90 XS today , The vehicle was a dealership demonstrator with 2000 miles, I was perfectly aware of the water ingress and
corrosion issues and had booked it in to have the chassis treated , I own another aluminum car and have always used ACF 50 and had planned to treat the defender the same way i was prepaired to except this even though spending nearly 30 grand.
What has really concerned me was the gearbox issues that i have read about in this forum and how many times members vehicles have been back to dealerships
without the fault being resolved , It would appear that landrover arn't planing any recall may be this is not a widespread problem and i have over reacted in canceling my vehicle.

This is my first post on this forum and i would appreciate your views
Post #180579 31st Oct 2012 10:35am
o4dn

France 2009 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Alaska White
Never had any issue with the gearbox on mine. Actually I find the MT82 much more refined than the R380.
Post #180582 31st Oct 2012 10:44am
d j hutton

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
mines ok so far Thumbs Up

Possibly an over reaction of sorts, as presumably you'll get a full 3 year warranty in case there are problems.

Bear in mind that you are more likely to hear of problems people have had rather than 'my gearbox is fine, I'm worried I don't have a problem' And its possible that some have been unlucky but you can never be sure how the gearbox /vehicle has been treated/driven, my 90 is 23 years old and I had the gearbox replaced a couple of years ago when I upgraded the transfer box to a disco ratio, mainly because it was out and there was a bit of wear on the main shaft splines and for the small amount of money I had it changed as well (just so I knew it was going to be ok for a few more years)

Welcome to the forum.

DJ 1989 200tdi 90 csw
2011 110 usw Orkney grey

Buy British 🇬🇧

Defender Clothing Designs available at http://www.rangesports.com/acatalog/Defender-Stuff.html
Post #180583 31st Oct 2012 10:49am
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
hi BSA,

welcome to the madhouse.

occassionally Land Rovers go wrong; i have owned 10 of various ages in the past 22 years and never had a problem that wasn't caused by me - so in my book the reliability is good (bar my current 110 in for warrenty rust work)
i do read on this forum about mechanical problems and they do eventually get resolved (virtually all under warrenty), but the benifit of a forum is to help solve problems with combined knowledge.

i hear far greater horror stories with electrical faults on discos and RRs

i wouldn't hesitate to get another defender
Thumbs Up
Post #180585 31st Oct 2012 10:50am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
If you put the clutch issue aside then my last two Puma have been OK gearbox wise. I like the gearbox and the only fault I moan about it the crunch between 1st and 2nd. It really bugs me and had it on both vehicles. I am now on 29k at the three and a half year point.

I have heard some saying the gearboxes are useless however I have not had any failures (yet).
Post #180586 31st Oct 2012 10:57am
leeds

United Kingdom 
Welcome to the forum BSA.

However I am curious about your first (double identical posts the same forums 21 minutes apart??)

Many people on this forum have had absolutely no problems with gearboxes so why are you panicing about them?

Or is there another reason behind the decision or these posts?

Brendan
Post #180587 31st Oct 2012 11:04am
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
Re: Cancelled delivery of my 90
BSA627 wrote:

I think you worry too much. You probably aren't cut out for Defender ownership as you'll spend all your time worrying about this noise and that noise instead of just enjoying the vehicle.

I came up with a theory many years ago that Land Rovers will reject their owners if they are not suitable. It always seems to be that those that worry and pick at every minor noise and problem always end up having the most problems. Those that just accept it's part of Land Rover ownership and just get on and drive it end up with the most reliable vehicles.

As an example, a 90 I know was once owned by the most fastidious and picky person I know. He bought it from new and spent the first couple of years taking it back and forth to the dealership complaining about the finish on the bodywork. The dealer ended up stripping back and respraying nearly every panel on it, in some cases twice, until he was finally happy with the finish. By the time the vehicle reached 5 years old every panel had oxidisation problems apart from the two panels that hadn't been resprayed.

A local farmer I know bought a similar 90 a couple of months after "Mr Picky" bought his. He didn't care about the finish on the paintwork and the vehicle spent it's first 5 years on a working sheep farm. If you washed all the s**t off it all the bodywork looked as good as the day it left the factory other than the odd dent here and there, where an errant ewe had had attempted an ambitious escape plan, and the rear load bed where 5 years of sheep urine had done the load bed no favours. http://www.yorkshireoffroadclub.net/

Last edited by davew on 31st Oct 2012 12:09pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #180590 31st Oct 2012 11:13am
Glynparry25

Wales 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS DCPU Tonga Green
Yet another owner here who has had no probelms with gearbox or clutch in 35,000 (half off-road) miles

Have you been talking to some Jap cr@p owners who are trying to justify buying their vehicles over a Land Rover?

Glyn Dog Sheep
Post #180596 31st Oct 2012 11:52am
diesel_jim

United Kingdom 2006 Defender 110 Td5 SW Epsom Green
Re: Cancelled delivery of my 90
BSA627 wrote:

My view is that you should get the vehicle and try it.... you never know, it might not break down! Rolling Eyes

As was said above, it'll have 3 years (or whatevers left on it) warranty, so if it does go wrong, just shout..... maybe shout at your dealer instead of whining on here? Whistle Whistle
Post #180597 31st Oct 2012 11:56am
bpman

2008 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SVX Station Wagon Santorini Black
^^^ what he said
Post #180628 31st Oct 2012 1:39pm
T1G UP

England 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Orkney Grey
Just picked mine up.

Nothing wrong with it sir! As I have explained a few time it only does it when its hot...I'm talking 200 mile at 75 hot.

So I have it back, it drives as good as the day I got it and I will wait til my next long run to see if it does it again. Not put off by it as I understand the issue. The rest of it is a ok.

Imho buy an old disco for 500, try that before you plung 30k in
Post #180629 31st Oct 2012 1:53pm
BSA627

Thanks for all the reply's ,First off the reason for the double post is i originally posted in the wrong place ,
I am not winging about any potential problems with the gearbox i am only reacting to others on this forum that have experienced problems.

When i in fact visited the showroom for my test drive the salesman informed me that the vehicle i wanted to take out for a test had developed a problem with the
gearbox it had covered 150 miles so you can understand my concern

I test drove the vehicle and was very impressed and have always set my heart on a Defender i have a caterham so i know all about hand built cars and driving a car that was designed 50yrs ago with all their idiosyncrasy's that go with this type of vehicle.

My original plan was to have it serviced from day one buy a local independent landrover garage that all the locals round here use and comes highly recommended , It now seems wiser to use a main dealer to comply with the warranty in case of any major issues problem is the nearest main dealer is 30 miles away all this has to be taken into consideration.

Thanks for every ones input
Post #180632 31st Oct 2012 2:02pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
I have now done over 100k miles on my 2007 Puma and although the original clutch was replaced due to the spring problem the gearbox has been great.

I also have a Td5 Disco 2 which I have owned from new, and can say with absolutely no heistation whatsoever that the MT82 gearbox is a far, far nicer box to drive with than the awful R380, surely one of the baulkiest and unpleasant gearboxes ever fitted to a LR vehicle. Every time I swap from one vehicle to the other I am struck by just how much better the MT82 is!

The one thing that I would say is that any LR gearbox requires more mechanical sympathy and understanding to get the best from than modern car boxes, and getting the technique seems to be a challenge for some. I always double-declutch down changes, and quite often upchanges too (and I do this on all cars not just the Def), and, as with all gearboxes, this helps.

Also, the Defender MT82 set-up is very susceptible to drivetrain backlash which can make changes uncomfortable, but this is not the box itself. As far as I can tell it is a combination of backlash in the drivetrain coupled with the flow restrictor on the clutch. Good technique can get round this.
Post #180646 31st Oct 2012 2:45pm
Birdy

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Santorini Black
My 2.4 is a year old and I find it crap: the gearbox crunches, there’s a graunching from the rear when I take a long sweeping bend at speed, leaks and rattles everywhere…

Am I worried? I bought a truck to use it as a truck - towing my boat and filling it with wet, muddy nautical paraphernalia - and if I’ve any time left over to faff around polishing bodywork and cleaning (wire) wheels, I’ve a Morgan which needs a bit of TLC.

As for anything mechanical, well, noises and squeaks are a Land Rover non-optional accessory and if anything actually breaks the garage will fix it, won’t they? And a couple of days before the 3-year warranty has expired I’ll make a list of anything I’m not happy with and they’ll fix that too, won’t they?

I bought the damn thing to have fun with, not to make my life miserable. ENJOY!

Peter
Post #180660 31st Oct 2012 3:21pm
farmer giles

2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Cairns Blue
the best solution to strange noises and rattles is to fit a louder stereo Thumbs Up

there are several folk on here that can help you with that
Post #180665 31st Oct 2012 3:33pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>