↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > advice on a starting problem...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Markh

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
advice on a starting problem...
I've a two year old puma, 40k miles no major problems so far at all

Last few weeks having intermittent problems starting (again). First time in a morning (normally) starts first time everytime. But if I say drive to town (just a few miles) park up and come back to start her while she's still warm, takes three or four attempts to start, glow plug goes out, start her then she cuts out with various combinations of oil and engine light flashing. once or twice even when shes finally running she then cuts out in traffic stopped at lights etc. Generally tho once shes going again will then run normally until next time I turn off.

It was doing this a few months ago, took it to the dealers and they said it was the EGR valve (it was making a funny noise) they replaced the valve and the problem did go away. EGR valve now seems to sound normally when I switch off so don't think its that again but obviously the starting problem is back...

Any ideas? as its intermittent its a pain to root cause with the dealer! "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #143487 5th May 2012 10:18am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Sounds likely to be EGR again.
Get it back to the dealer ... it's still under warranty Wink

Mine played up like crazy, had 3 EGR valves under warranty ... as soon as warranty expired i had the EGR 'mapped out' along with a re-map by IRB Developments ... best thing i ever did Thumbs Up Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #143489 5th May 2012 10:33am
Markh

England 2010 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Java Black
Thanks Dave sound advice

One question, what benefit did you see from mapping out your EGR? is it just to remove the pain of it failing or have you seen some performance / fuel econ benefit? "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the things you did..."
Post #143494 5th May 2012 11:21am
Dave-H

England 2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 HT Tonga Green
Markh wrote:
Thanks Dave sound advice

One question, what benefit did you see from mapping out your EGR? is it just to remove the pain of it failing or have you seen some performance / fuel econ benefit?

Mainly it removes the hassle of an on going problem ... but i had mine done along with a performance re-map.
Difference is amazing! It drives like a completely different motor [a bit quick too Wink ] Guns and Landrovers .... anything else is irrelevant.
Post #143496 5th May 2012 12:16pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1