↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Stainless bolt upgrade
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Ric

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Stainless bolt upgrade
Hi, does anyone have a list (sizes etc) of all the nuts n bolts that can be replaced to stop corrosion?
Door hinges, bonnet, cross member, anything really that could rust.

Thanks its only a car!
Post #184522 13th Nov 2012 1:54am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
Not exactly, but take a look at some of the kits available on t'internet, some actually list the contents....
http://www.a2stainless.co.uk/Chassis-Crossmember_B2338J.aspx Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #186142 18th Nov 2012 7:22pm
Phoenix90

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Stornoway Grey
leeds sells the full kits (Nakatanga I think...) in good quality stainless that retain the original LR bolt heads...
Post #186158 18th Nov 2012 8:10pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Phoenix90 wrote:
leeds sells the full kits (Nakatanga I think...) in good quality stainless that retain the original LR bolt heads...

This is what I'd go for based on stuff I'd read here. Pricey but all the parts are separated into little baggies with instructions too.

(Leeds Brendan if you read this, return my PM's. I want to give you money!!)

Last edited by Thud on 18th Nov 2012 9:07pm. Edited 1 time in total
Post #186179 18th Nov 2012 9:01pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
custom90

United Kingdom 
Yep, The Naka one's are complete kits not just bonnet bolts or door bolts ect. Much better having a full kit and with the original heads too. NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #186182 18th Nov 2012 9:06pm
Ric

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Santorini Black
Thanks for the link and the heads up on Brendon its only a car!
Post #186186 18th Nov 2012 9:15pm
leeds

United Kingdom 
Hi Lee, pm you with prices and some options.

Yes we sell the Nakatanenga stainless set. Yes I saw this thread and decided not to respond as some people would accuse me of trying to sell stuff.

The Nakataenga screw sets are a complete set for a 110 5 door the set costs 99 + carriage. The set has about 430 pieces in it and weighs about 3 kilos. The screw heads are identical to the original and comes with anti corrosion paste. Sets are available for 90's/ just doors etc. Compared to sets on eBay etc it does look expensive however the sets on eBay in general terms are much smaller sets and not the Land Rover type head.

I thought about trying to photograph the complete set but gave up when I was faced with 10 bags in front of me. I was outfaced by sheer quantity of fittings.

More details can be found HERE

Brendan
Post #186192 18th Nov 2012 9:48pm
Green Machine

United Kingdom 2005 Defender 90 Td5 CSW Tonga Green
I think I may have to apologise for this in advance, and I'm probably just spleen venting - but . . .

There seems to be a common misconception on this forum within this topic of stainless bolt kits that Nakatenga are somehow the only people in the world who supply stainless bolts with the standard torx heads, as per the original bolts. This simply is not the case. You can get them from loads of places. I know this because I have a set on my Defender outside right now, and they didn't come from Nakatenga.

The reason this annoys me is that people should be informed of all their options, that's the whole point of the forum and having the advantage of others' experiences. I have absolutely nothing against Nakatenga and absolutely nothing against those that sell their kits. But they are not the only option. This is not a slight on anyone, and I don't want it to be taken as such. It is simply a statement of fact, which I feel has become slightly warped on this subject.

Edit: I'll just add, this is nothing at all to do with cost. The Nakatenga kits actually appear very well priced considering how many pieces they contain. I am only referring to the 'original heads' thing. 2005 Td5 | 90 Station Wagon | Tonga Green
Post #186224 18th Nov 2012 11:18pm
VeeTee

Netherlands 
Re: Stainless bolt upgrade
Ric wrote:
Hi, does anyone have a list (sizes etc) of all the nuts n bolts that can be replaced to stop corrosion?
Door hinges, bonnet, cross member, anything really that could rust.

Thanks

To prevent galvanic corrosion (which occus sooner with stainless steel rather than with mild steel bolts), it is strongly advised to isolate the stainless bolts from the aluminum body panels with plastic washers or use a special jointing compound like Duralac. Cheers, Vincent
1959 Polynorm 1/4 Ton Trailer, Olive Drab Green (sold)
1970 M416 Military Trailer (Camping Trailer Conversion), Epsom Green (sold)
1975 Series III 88 V6, Light Green (sadly sold)
1996 Defender 110 CSW 300 Tdi, Epsom Green (sold)
2000 Freelander 1 TD4 3-drs, Silver (sold)
2006 Freelander 1 TD4 5-drs Facelift Automatic, Tonga Green (sold)

MySite
Post #186227 18th Nov 2012 11:36pm
Thud

United Kingdom 2008 Defender 90 Puma 2.4 SW Zermatt Silver
Here is the Naka kit for my 90. Pricey but loads of stuff and if you understand the German labels, straightforward. Now where is my German dictionary?

Click image to enlarge
Post #187172 22nd Nov 2012 3:13pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
need4speed

Re: Stainless bolt upgrade
VeeTee wrote:

To prevent galvanic corrosion (which occus sooner with stainless steel rather than with mild steel bolts), it is strongly advised to isolate the stainless bolts from the aluminum body panels with plastic washers or use a special jointing compound like Duralac.

...or wrap ptfe tape round the body of the stainless bolt passing through the ally.
Post #188333 25th Nov 2012 8:53pm
custom90

United Kingdom 
Thud wrote:
Here is the Naka kit for my 90. Pricey but loads of stuff and if you understand the German labels, straightforward. Now where is my German dictionary?

Click image to enlarge

I can easily see why the kit costs what it does. All individual packed and marked and every nut bolt washer ect that you should require. ore or less a one time purchase. Thumbs Up NEVER SURRENDER! ⛽️🛢️👨‍🔧🧰⚙️ RED, WHITE & BOOST! 🇬🇧
Post #188339 25th Nov 2012 9:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1