↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Td5 > Td5 Engine Data - Real Time
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Stoo

2005 Defender 90 Td5 XS CSW Bonatti Grey
Td5 Engine Data - Real Time
I have seen a number of different diagnostic tools, Nanocom (Evolution), Hawkeye, ATRIC etc and I know some can be used with a laptop as well as a standalone unit.

I was wondering if anyone produces decent software to display this data (RPM/Boost etc) in a usable way so as to turn the diagnostic tool + a laptop into a basic instrument panel in a Td5 defender? Something like ScanTool http://www.scantool.net/software/scanxl-std.html

If not i was thinking of writing a tool to do this, however I would need access to the data (real time) from one of these diagnostic type devices (OBD-II doesn't work - I have tried it!) and a decent set of documentation to support the interfaces.

Anyone know whether any of these interfaces can provide real time access to the engine data in a PC understandable format?

Stoo
Mr. Green Mr. Green

P.S. I'm a software developer/architect by trade...in case anyone thinks I'm insane.
Post #120327 1st Feb 2012 3:02pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Lorrymans guide may have helped you but it looks as though it has been removed...temporarily we hope! Bow down

Could Martin make it into a sticky when it returns Thumbs Up

http://www.defender2.net/forum/topic10829.html
Post #120333 1st Feb 2012 3:11pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
davew

England 1990 Defender 90 V8 Petrol PU Auto Rioja Red
I am developing an iPhone/iPad app for the MegaSquirt ECU that shows realtime data and allows logging on an iPhone/iPad and the TD5 has been on my mind for a while as a possible candidate for a new version of the app.
http://mobisquirt.org/

I have made a few tentative steps towards it as a viability study and it's certainly possible although the codes and communication messages/protocols seem to be a carefully hidden secret with the primary source for aftermarket devices seeming to come from reverse engineering the LR test book or "competitors" devices.

Converting the communications into RS232 packets seems, on the face of it, simple enough with some basic self build hardware and my next step will be (if I ever get around to it !) to make a communications sniffer that can record all the packets sent between a working diagnostic device and the ECM.
Post #120341 1st Feb 2012 3:35pm
Lorryman100

Post #120351 1st Feb 2012 4:48pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1