↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > A Slight Problem for me, A big problem for LR.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 3 <123>
Print this entire topic · 
Surrey Rover

ZeDefender wrote:
Surrey Rover wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
Miserableolgit wrote:
Way back when 90's and 110's first replaced Series many people had big problems with water ingress from above and top sides of the hardtop around the screen due to cracking of filler - looks like the same problem.

You think they'd have learned by now Rolling Eyes

Personally, I think problem behind most of these ongoing issues lies in that fact that LR are selling a utility truck however the customer base are buying them as car's.

Perception and LR marketing have created a problem child. Cue the new Defender, designed without flaws, for those that want cars, now nobody likes it. It's a strange world.

Do new utility trucks normally leak?

I hope so, something that is/was designed to have it's interior sprayed out to clean it needs to leak. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #99305 11th Nov 2011 7:53am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Surrey Rover wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
Surrey Rover wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
Miserableolgit wrote:
Way back when 90's and 110's first replaced Series many people had big problems with water ingress from above and top sides of the hardtop around the screen due to cracking of filler - looks like the same problem.

You think they'd have learned by now Rolling Eyes

Personally, I think problem behind most of these ongoing issues lies in that fact that LR are selling a utility truck however the customer base are buying them as car's.

Perception and LR marketing have created a problem child. Cue the new Defender, designed without flaws, for those that want cars, now nobody likes it. It's a strange world.

Do new utility trucks normally leak?

I hope so, something that is/was designed to have it's interior sprayed out to clean it needs to leak.

Aha Laughing Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #99306 11th Nov 2011 7:55am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
[quote="ZeDefender"]
elz wrote:

You are really worrying me now - I have a 2011 Defender and I can't see a split in my roof (above the windscreen at the edge, right?). I have looked twice but am now wondering if my sight is failing Shocked
Do LR weld, deep fill and then paint? If so, I might have a crack but it's gummed up.. for now. If that's the case, then a fill-and-paint repair for you would make it "as good as new " (or at least any other). Sorry, probably talking Censored but I've had a bottle of wine (still off caffeine) whilst spray painting tiaras and the thinners are making me feel funny Mr. Green

You're going to put yourself into an early grave! What with worrying about the inevitable early failure of your gearbox and being able to replace it with a better heavy duty version and now there's the added stress [no pun intended] that the roof might crack open at any time! Laughing Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #99311 11th Nov 2011 8:29am
Honker

2014 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 XS CSW Corris Grey
[quote="ZeDefender I might have a crack but it's gummed up.. for now. :[/quote]

Forgot the roof and gearbox , I'd get that seen too asap

Stu
Post #99321 11th Nov 2011 9:22am
JSG

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Stornoway Grey
Is the crack in the gutter really a split in the metal though, or a split in the mastic that is in the channel? John

http://www.hampshire4x4response.co.uk

2011 Tdci 110 CSW XS
Post #99324 11th Nov 2011 9:28am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
wildrover

United Kingdom 
We have new 90 and discovered a wet roof lining and wet load (carpet) space last night. Wife wants to reject the vehicle.

She thinks a fix is not adequate. Silicone will crack and the problem will reappear. Roof lining is possibly damaged.

She discovered this when she retrieved a sodden parcel she was posting at the Post Office.

Visiting the dealer this am.
Post #99325 11th Nov 2011 9:28am
The Boy

United Kingdom 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Rimini Red
Hope you get a result.

Mines been in twice for leaks as the carpet on the centre row gets wet. Niether time was it fixed but I now have found that there is a small gap where the centre seat box joins the floor so I am going to do it myself. Can't understand why the dealers never spotted it but they kept insisting it was the roof seals.
Post #99327 11th Nov 2011 9:39am
ZeDefender

JSG wrote:
Is the crack in the gutter really a split in the metal though, or a split in the mastic that is in the channel?

That's what I was wondering...

And MOG - i think I was built to worry Rolling Eyes
I've (almost) brought up 4 kids* (15-22) and I needed another object of anguish for the time being, hence: da da da... a Defender Laughing
I'm also obsessed with things working properly and being the best they can (I now have a "perfect" Audi A2 Sport - also aluminium you will note) and preferably lasting forever - at least until I am dead... and when I stop worrying I probably will be Shocked
However, I am eternally grateful to those who reign me in and keep my paranoia in check Thumbs Up
Now, let me see... where was that rattle last night?...

p.s. I'm still getting an HD gearbox, just to spite you Cool
* okay, so I suppose my wife helped a bit... Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #99329 11th Nov 2011 9:42am
DefenderOfTheEarth

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 XS CSW Tonga Green
Ze - a Defender might drive you slightly (more) insane then!

I'm similar but still with young kids (3 year old and a 9 month old) to worry about!

Interested in the HD gearbox thing - anyone else done it? Defender 110XS SW gone... now VW California 180 4 Motion.
Post #99331 11th Nov 2011 9:54am
ZeDefender

DefenderOfTheEarth wrote:
Ze - a Defender might drive you slightly (more) insane then!

I'm similar but still with young kids (3 year old and a 9 month old) to worry about!

Interested in the HD gearbox thing - anyone else done it?

Last I heard, Dave Ashcroft was looking into it. Needed some (minor?) mods to fit but I think he was confident Thumbs Up Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #99334 11th Nov 2011 10:11am
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
The Boy wrote:
Hope you get a result.

Mines been in twice for leaks as the carpet on the centre row gets wet. Niether time was it fixed but I now have found that there is a small gap where the centre seat box joins the floor so I am going to do it myself. Can't understand why the dealers never spotted it but they kept insisting it was the roof seals.

Defenders have gaps you can see daylight through. On one particularly wet red soil/sand track which had water spraying over the windscreen I found red sand in the seat box gaps under and around the centre cubby box, either side of the seats front and rear and around the back door area and panels. After that I got out a strong light and used this at day and night to look for light holes which I could see. That helped me fill most gaps with mastic flexible sealant. I am now confident that I have most gaps that I can see sealed and dust ingress has reduced greatly. I also sprayed underneath the vehicle with a wax based spray sealer around the seams of joined floor panels etc. Mind you, we don't have salt on the roads here.

This above method could be used to check to see if metal is cracked or not around the roof area if people are not game to pour water into the gaps. You might need to drop the front headlining though. Looking at the posts I feel that the cracking seen in the gutters is just the sealant as the sealant in my 2007 is quite soft and flexible. I just put some touch up paint on and wiped off the excess. If I fitted a roof rack I am sure the paint would crack as I clamped the rack to the gutter. With the thin cracking around the windscreen area I feel it is also sealant in my case as there has been no leak. I could not be bothered getting the dealer to worry about it. As above, I used some touch up paint, applied the mimimum to fill the void of the crack then quickly wiped off the excess. You can't tell that there was ever a defect in the paint there.

Last edited by 4wheeler on 13th Nov 2011 1:29am. Edited 1 time in total
Post #99335 11th Nov 2011 10:15am
NinetyTD4

Wales 2012 Defender 90 Other SW Keswick Green
Had a look at mine (came in September, driven 3000kms) and found nothing similar. Had a friends 110 to look at and it had some cracks, but found them to be in the mastic only. Looks as if the mastics was a bit too old when worked in. Never forget: cars have owner, Landrover have field service personnel.
Post #99477 12th Nov 2011 9:44am
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
After reading this thread I had a look at mine this morning and sure enough the passenger side is cracked all the way up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

I'll have a chat with my dealer and see what can be done, is this repairable?

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #99514 12th Nov 2011 5:33pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
It's the mastic, once it is dug out & refilled with something decent it can be blown over again. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #99517 12th Nov 2011 5:59pm
22900013A

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Keswick Green
Miserableolgit wrote:
It's the mastic, once it is dug out & refilled with something decent it can be blown over again.

Oh thats not so bad them. I have emailed those photos to my dealer, just awaiting a phone call tomorrow now. 2011 110 USW
1973 Series III 1-Ton
1972 Series III 1-Ton Cherrypicker
1969 IIA 1-Ton
1966 IIA 88"
Post #99645 13th Nov 2011 11:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 3 <123>