↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > A Slight Problem for me, A big problem for LR.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>
Print this entire topic · 
elz

United Kingdom 
A Slight Problem for me, A big problem for LR.
I have just been to look at my replacement defender 110, which I have been offered due to the split in the windscreen surround of my present vehicle (Posted before about it). This new vehicle also has a split, which is even bigger and is on both sides. The Salesman looked at me and said, "sorry, not sure what to say to you". I suggested we went and looked at all the other defenders in they had in stock. In stock they had three 110 XS in black, one(my one) with 120 miles on the clock, one with 6 miles on the clock and one with 2 miles. In the showroom was a silver 90 XS with 5 miles on the clock.

THEY ALL HAD A SPLIT IN THAT PART OF THE ROOF. (I cannot be the first person to spot this!!!!!!!)

Having just driven 90 miles to inspect the vehicle I was not happy. I happened to spot another defender in the corner, which belonged to a customer and was in for a service, it was a black 110 XS on 58 plate, it was perfect. What was plainly obvious was that the spot welds for this vehicle were in a different place from all the other vehicles I looked at.
If anyone is buying a vehicle at the moment, I would suggest caution. Not sure where this leaves me, my instinct is to get my money back, what do you think?
Post #97916 3rd Nov 2011 4:59pm
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
elz - I do remember your post about this problem.

I must be lucky. Mines 1 month old, and seems fine.

Do they actually leak? I have bought a tube of sikaflex, and was planning to do some extra waterproofing myself (rear cappings etc) just to be sure, but at the moment, mine's still completely dry inside.

Can they not fix the new one in the body shop? It's rather poor service that the dealer didn't notice and resolve the problem before you actually got there to collect it Banging Head Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #97918 3rd Nov 2011 5:13pm
Moggy

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Galway Green
Can you post some pics of what to look for.

Moggy 61 plate-110 USW......a bit pimped
54 plate NAS Spec 90-sold
4-Defenders-sold
Post #97946 3rd Nov 2011 7:17pm
Zagato
Site Supporter

United Kingdom 
Moggy wrote:
Can you post some pics of what to look for.

Moggy

http://www.defender2.net/forum/post95279.html#95279 Thumbs Up
Post #97952 3rd Nov 2011 7:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MuddyMarky

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
This thread had me going outside to look at my DC too.....it all seems ok, except there seems to be the odd small, almost large-pinhead sized hole along the seam between the gutter and the roof......Now I know it might sound obvious, but is the general feeling that I should get something (sikaflex/silicone, etc) in these to block them up? Mark
2011 110 XS DC
Stornoway Grey
Post #97972 3rd Nov 2011 9:21pm
4wheeler

Australia 2013 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 SW Chawton White
My 07 Defender has had this fine cracking on the driver side above the windscreen. I don't think is is cracked metal so much as cracked filler/paint in my case althogh it looks very similar to pictures posted on the forum. It has not become worse and I have had my Defender off road a fair amount including corrugated tracks which would make the problem worse if it was a metal related problem.

My roof gutters had a large patch of missing paint on the same spot either side (4 cm long) which makes the small loss of paint on some seem like nothing. I just repainted it with touch up paint. No one will ever see it.

I look at new Defenders and every one has something I could pick which is very average in terms of finish of paint and panels. The trick is to look at them from a distance and that way they look perfect.

I purchased my Defender as a used vehicle (13,000km). I checked out magazines etc which pointed out most of the good and bad points of Defender ownership. I came to the conclusion that if I set my expectations on the lower end of the scale, then the Defender would far outway my expectations. And it has. It's great, warts and all.

Having said all that you pay good money for the vehicle and if you buy new or near new, the least you should be able to expect is that the paint does not peel off, it is not cracked badly from new and spot welds don't look like they have been hit with a hammer. The rest - well it is hand assembled and has for the most part nuts, bolts and rivets holding it together. Can't expect too much in terms of panel fit.
Post #98007 4th Nov 2011 5:09am
MartinK

United Kingdom 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 USW Orkney Grey
MuddyMarky wrote:
Now I know it might sound obvious, but is the general feeling that I should get something (sikaflex/silicone, etc) in these to block them up?

I would, and that's what I am doing. Obvioisly with a larger issue like elz, I think that would be a dealer or LR job, but for non-structural stuff, I would do it myself I think! Dealers don't always (usually!) do a better job than an enthusiast owner - it just depends on your attitude to doing the smaller fixes yourself (prevention, like using Dinitrol/Waxoyl, or fix such as a small hole plugged with Sikaflex).

Personally (although like elz I am not sure I would accept his Defender either) I find attending to small jobs on my LR enhances my pride of ownership in some masochistic way Thumbs Up

When I bought mine, I called Zagato, we had a really useful chat about early-life jobs. He told me to get some sealant to "improve" the seal in the rear cappings (amongst lots of other things, like the appliance of Dinitrol, ACF-50 etc). I still have the tube of Sikaflex 221, and still making that mental list of where it needs applied Whistle Fortunately, no leaks on mine as yet, and it's seen some pretty heavy rain.

Good luck elz - please keep us informed. Defender "Puma" 2.4 110 County Utility (possibly the last of the 2.4's)
Post #98011 4th Nov 2011 8:26am
Happyoldgit

United Kingdom 2015 Defender 110 Puma 2.2 USW Corris Grey
Way back when 90's and 110's first replaced Series many people had big problems with water ingress from above and top sides of the hardtop around the screen due to cracking of filler - looks like the same problem. Steve.
Owned numerous Land Rover vehicles of all shapes and sizes over the decades.
Current Defender: A non tarts hand-bagged Puma 110 XS USW.

[Insert something impressive here such as extensive list of previous Land Rovers or examples of your prestigeous and expensive items, trinkets, houses, bikes, vehicles etc]

http://forums.lr4x4.com

I used to be Miserable ...but now I'm ecstatic.
Post #98026 4th Nov 2011 10:14am
ZeDefender

Germany 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Baltic Blue
Miserableolgit wrote:
Way back when 90's and 110's first replaced Series many people had big problems with water ingress from above and top sides of the hardtop around the screen due to cracking of filler - looks like the same problem.

You think they'd have learned by now Rolling Eyes Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
But shout it at them in German because life is also terrifying and confusing...
Post #98028 4th Nov 2011 10:27am
elz

United Kingdom 
Little update. I asked a good friend of mine, who used to work for Land Rover to ask about this roof problem I'm having. The feedback I got was that they were having problems with the roofs of 2010/2011 defenders and have a redesign on the new 2.2 defenders, different spot-weld pattern and a more squared off roof corner.
I haven't seen a new vehicle to confirm this, so I don't know if this is true. He also said they are having problems after people have attached roof racks to the guttering, which disturbs the silicon seal along the guttering and allows water to leak in????? Don't know about that, any one else?
Post #98597 7th Nov 2011 4:41pm
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
Sounds like a strange thing to develop after 25-odd years of production Confused
Perhaps it's a change of machinery to something less suited to the design rather than a fault of the design itself? Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #98599 7th Nov 2011 4:49pm
elz

United Kingdom 
I know I'm getting a bit obsessed, but.....
I went to another dealership today who are repairing my vehicle, thought I'd find out how my defender was coming along and just check out their defenders for problems.

They only had one defender in the showroom, and sure enough it's got a split in the roof. Will someone please confirm that they to have seen a split roof . Confused
Post #99232 10th Nov 2011 9:55pm
ZeDefender

elz wrote:
I know I'm getting a bit obsessed, but.....
I went to another dealership today who are repairing my vehicle, thought I'd find out how my defender was coming along and just check out their defenders for problems.

They only had one defender in the showroom, and sure enough it's got a split in the roof. Will someone please confirm that they to have seen a split roof . Confused

You are really worrying me now - I have a 2011 Defender and I can't see a split in my roof (above the windscreen at the edge, right?). I have looked twice but am now wondering if my sight is failing Shocked
Do LR weld, deep fill and then paint? If so, I might have a crack but it's gummed up.. for now. If that's the case, then a fill-and-paint repair for you would make it "as good as new " (or at least any other). Sorry, probably talking Censored but I've had a bottle of wine (still off caffeine) whilst spray painting tiaras and the thinners are making me feel funny Mr. Green Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #99256 10th Nov 2011 10:36pm
Surrey Rover

ZeDefender wrote:
Miserableolgit wrote:
Way back when 90's and 110's first replaced Series many people had big problems with water ingress from above and top sides of the hardtop around the screen due to cracking of filler - looks like the same problem.

You think they'd have learned by now Rolling Eyes

Personally, I think problem behind most of these ongoing issues lies in that fact that LR are selling a utility truck however the customer base are buying them as car's.

Perception and LR marketing have created a problem child. Cue the new Defender, designed without flaws, for those that want cars, now nobody likes it. It's a strange world. Nick

2.2 110 Tipper
Post #99302 11th Nov 2011 7:36am
ZeDefender

Surrey Rover wrote:
ZeDefender wrote:
Miserableolgit wrote:

You think they'd have learned by now Rolling Eyes

Personally, I think problem behind most of these ongoing issues lies in that fact that LR are selling a utility truck however the customer base are buying them as car's.

Perception and LR marketing have created a problem child. Cue the new Defender, designed without flaws, for those that want cars, now nobody likes it. It's a strange world.

Do new utility trucks normally leak? Tell someone you love them today because life is short.
Post #99304 11th Nov 2011 7:50am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>