↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Puma (Tdci) > engine problems
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>
Print this entire topic · 
defender 1

Falkland Islands 1991 Defender 110 200 Tdi HT Alpine White
engine problems
hi i have a defender 110 hard top 2007 comes up with fault turbo overboost changed turbo no change
egr valve not doing self check when ingnition is turned off and seems to lose power on long runs when fully warm
engine seems to breath heavy when running
any one with ideas
Post #96299 26th Oct 2011 2:21am
robharvey

South Africa 2009 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 SW Alpine White
I can relate to the losing power on long runs when warm (30+ deg), unfortunately LR don't have a clue what to do as no fault codes are thrown up. My viscous fan kicks in at high speeds (around 80-100km/h), which I don't think it should.
Post #96303 26th Oct 2011 6:17am
Sockpuppet

United Kingdom 
Try some EGR cleaner (don't have to remove the EGR to do this) it could just be gummed up.
Post #96307 26th Oct 2011 6:48am
defender 1

thanks
i have tryed another egr valve but that not working either
could it be electrical ? there seems to be no power to the egr valve moter
Post #96337 26th Oct 2011 11:09am
Lorryman100

Unplug the EGR electrical connection so that the EGR stays closed and see if that helps any. Any DTC's showing, even untested/pending? If it was an EGR issue in sticking open it would throw up a tested dtc as it is part of the emissions control. When you unplug it and run the engine you should get the MIL and these two dtc's P1402 and P1409. Use a DMM on the plug and check for voltage with the engine running. If both are ok then the motor/power pins in the EGR are causing the issue.

Turbo under/over boost is a common untested DTC. There is a service bulletin on repairing and extending the Turbo modulator harness to over come the loss of power experienced by some people in conjunction with turbo dtc's.

TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN No.LTB00254/2010
20 January 2010
Circulate to: Service Manager Parts Manager Warranty Administrator Service Reception Technicians

© Land Rover
All rights reserved.
Subject/Concern: Turbo Modulator Service Link Kit
Model:
Defender (LD) VIN Range: LD732615-LD779287
Markets: All except NAS
Section: 418-00
Summary
A customer might express concern of a loss of power with the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illuminated.
Cause: Engine vibrations fracture the wiring to the turbo modulator. Suggested Customer Concern Code A88.
Action: Should a customer express concern, follow the Service Instruction outlined below.
Parts Required
Description Part Number Quantity
Harness Link Kit LR020663 1
Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change; those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.
Labor Time
Operation Description Operation No. Time
Fit Ferrite Fuse To Engine Harness 86.71.89.26 0.4 hours
Repair/Claim Coding
Causal Part: LR007352
ACES Condition Code: 30

HTH Brian.
Post #96345 26th Oct 2011 11:27am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
pom

fair play Lorryman you should open up a mobile LR diag service!

Pom
Post #96358 26th Oct 2011 1:36pm
Lorryman100

Would love to pom, but after I served my time as a Diesel fitter/welder it paid more to drive the wagons rather than fix them. And now I drive trains, which pays even more. Very Happy

Brian.
Post #96360 26th Oct 2011 1:46pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
defender 1

thanks lorryman
the turbo overboost is coming up as a fault not a untested fault
Post #96361 26th Oct 2011 1:58pm
Lorryman100

Did you check the turbo actuator motor and actuator lever for movement? High boost pressure at high revs to me means that the vanes are in the closed or nearly closed position instead of being fully open and in line with the gas flow. The turbocharger is designed for fail safe operation. If a fault occurs regarding the control of the unit, the vanes default to the fully open position so as to produce minimum boost. The ECM detects any malfunctions in the stepper motor and generates a DTC. So this could explain the lack of power once warm though this strikes me as a modulator issue rather than the Turbo being at fault.
Check the actuator arm at idle and then at revs and see if the modulator moves the actuator arm? If not then that is were I would start the fault finding from. Out of curiosity what where the logged DTC's?

Brian.
Post #96365 26th Oct 2011 2:31pm
defender 1

thanks lorryman
the turbo is only a week old so it should not have failed (i hope) all works ok the linkage moves up and down with the revs and is free to move by hand when disconnected from the moter the fault code is
P0234-00 turbo/supercharger overboost
Post #96366 26th Oct 2011 2:42pm
Lorryman100

Did the MIL illuminate with the DTC P0234?
Also check the MAP sensor with a DMM incase that has failed or has an intermittent fault.

EDIT: On the old Turbo unit did you find anything to cause the failure? Why did you replace it? Are the symptoms still the same with the new turbo unit? If so then it is more likely to be a harness or ECU fault causing the issue. You could peel back the harness cover on the Turbo Modulator and check for heat damage/brittleness. Also is the high temp sleeve still in one piece/present?
Post #96367 26th Oct 2011 2:44pm
defender 1

the light did not come on it just loses power sometimes not all the time
the old turbo was changed fot the same reson and the intake vains were all damaged and the exhaust rod was very stiff to move when i took it to bits it was worped from the heat of the exhaust
Post #96372 26th Oct 2011 3:26pm
Lorryman100

Was the Turbo flange exhaust manifold warped and leaking? Any signs of gas escaping through the gasket?
Post #96374 26th Oct 2011 3:29pm
Lorryman100

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Brian.
Post #96377 26th Oct 2011 3:57pm
carlostama

Panama 
Hi everybody,i had a problem like this some months ago, the car started very well, running low and medium speeds perfect. The problem appear just in high speed and long .I was afraid about something important with engine or turbo and it was just the fuel filter very dirty. The dealer changed it and the landy goes like new..... I hope this could help you....
Post #96395 26th Oct 2011 5:41pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>