↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Recommended locking washer for drive flange
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Recommended locking washer for drive flange
As per another thread today, did some tightening of my drive line. Noticed a couple of the M10 bolts on my drive flanges were looser than they should have been. I’ve tightened them back up, but am keen to quickly purchase some locking washers. I’m not on any Locking Washer forums so thought I’d ask on here which version would be best for this use (and why) ?

I’ve selected the versions I think I should be able to source fairly easily here in France.

Ta Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #963344 30th Aug 2022 11:07am
rallysteve

United Kingdom 2002 Defender 110 Td5 DCPU Keswick Green
I wouldn't bother with any personally. I just clean the threads up and use a good quality threadlock.

Most lock washers are useless anyway except the Nord-Lock type 02' 110 TD5 Double Cab Rebuild Thread
Post #963349 30th Aug 2022 11:29am
Grenadier

France 2011 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Corris Grey
Was wondering that as well. Have actually sourced a full new set of SS bolts, yet to be fitted, so I’ll probably do as you suggest. Thumbs Up Monsieur Le Grenadier

I've not been everywhere, but it's on my list.....

2011 Puma 110DC - Corris Grey
Post #963350 30th Aug 2022 11:41am
LandRoverAnorak

United Kingdom 
I used galvanised spring washers and cap head bolts on mine. I think it's more important to make sure that they're torqued up properly, though - 65Nm. Darren

110 USW BUILD THREAD - EXPEDITION TRAILER - 200tdi 90 BUILD THREAD - SANKEY TRAILER - IG@landroveranorak

"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!" - Princess Leia
Post #963352 30th Aug 2022 11:49am
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Personally I don't like using thread lock on the drive flange bolts, over the years I have seen too many issues with sheared bolts which can be traced back to the use of thread lock or instant gasket.

My personal preferred solution is to use a Grade 10.9 hex socket cap screw, preferably BZP or ZPP finish, with rectangular section split spring washer (essentially your top photo, although that does look rather "pas cher"). If you can run to HCR (high corrosion resistant) Type B split spring washers in duplex stainless or A8 stainless they are even more durable, but in practice a BZP or ZPP spring steel washer will have a more than sufficient service life.

I have never yet had a bolt come loose with this approach, and never yet had one shear on me. It also means that the hole in the hub is clean and not bunged up with threadlock detritus.
Post #963369 30th Aug 2022 2:54pm
Dinnu

Malta 2012 Defender 90 Puma 2.2 CSW Santorini Black
Most of the thread lock issues are not the thread lock itself, but who choose and applies the fluid.

I have 30mm spacers, and tried to go for a split spring washer. But found that with the original hex bolts, the heads fouled the rim a bit (probably if I tightened the wheel nuts to the correct torque would have forced the head to dig in slightly in the alloy). No problem without the spacers as the clearance in the rim would be at the correct position. 1988 90 Hard Top, 19J Diesel Turbo, Shire Blue - Restoration ongoing
2012 90 CSW, 2.2TDCI, Santorini Black
Post #963415 30th Aug 2022 8:18pm
blackwolf

United Kingdom 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
The head clearance issue with hex heads is the reason I now always use hex SHC. A benefit is that a 10.9 SHC is easier to find and cheaper than a 10.9 hex head bolt.
Post #963421 30th Aug 2022 8:43pm
Mossberg

United Kingdom 1993 Defender 90 300 Tdi HT Aintree Green
If you go for the top type spring washer, make sure you get them from a very good source, if possible a dedicated fixings supplier. I bought some from an eBay supplier and the unwound as I tightened my bolts, so totally lacking the physical properties of a "spring".
Post #963466 31st Aug 2022 8:19am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1