↓ Advertise on Defender2 ↓

Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Genuine winch bumper VPLDP0105 and Winchmax info?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1
Print this entire topic · 
Gasket

Genuine winch bumper VPLDP0105 and Winchmax info?
Hi folks.

I'm in need of a new bumper for my non-ac 2010 90 - the old one is just getting a bit thin and is about the only part left non-galvanised.

I also need some simple recovery eyes for the front of the vehicle (not heavily used off road, more a just-in case feature) so its a good time to kill two birds with one stone. Yes I could simply buy a new britpart bumper and a pair of Naka recovery eyes... but, I do a bit of fabrication and I'm really keen (like the rest of the vehicle) on keeping things OEM-ish and to this end I keep coming back to the standard LR winch bumper, VPLDP0105, as used on G4 and re-created by Winchmax these days. See here: https://www.winchmax.co.uk/product/wmbprtyp1/

This winch bumper is made from 5mm thick steel, plus it has a pair of lower recovery eyes and it has a pair of braces going back to the dumb irons that aren't present on the non-winch bumper - highlighted in red in the image below. Thats a couple of really nice features to have even for basic driving duties.

Click image to enlarge

Now I don't have a winch, and have no need for one.- but looking at the above, the actual "recovery eye and brace bit" would be very easy to fabricate and could be welded onto the bottom of a common-or-garden HD Defender bumper. This would give a nice, unique OEM look but without having to fit a winch.

With my childlike CAD skills, I'm still using Tinkercad, but it was enough to import the drawing from the Winchmax page and to pull out the two eyes/braces.

Click image to enlarge

So couple of questions - does anyone have such a winch so that I could get a few close-up images of these braces in real life - including showing the weld runs?

Secondly does anyone happen to know the chaps at Winchmax? While I could make up the braces/eyes from steel I have kicking around the garage or I could send the file off to be laser cut, it seems fair to try and throw some business their way, so wondering it they do their own fabrication and if they'd have the appetite to either sell me a pair of these braces from their bumper production line or even it they'd weld them onto a 'standard' 5/6mm HD bumper if I sent it to them.

Obvs I can do it all myself, but nice to support a business.

EDIT: in fact, I'll print a copy of the bracket and I'll physically try it on the defender to see if its even feasible first... will report back.
Post #958078 12th Jul 2022 7:58pm
Bundy

United Kingdom 
Hi,
I have a Winchmax winch, but not their bumper.
When I was looking it appeared that their winch bumper fits ac and non-ac Defenders, so presumably on a non-ac the bumper will stick out further than needed and not give as neat a finish as you can get with a dedicated non-ac winch bumper.
I got a D44 Clubman bumper and love it...still very oem looking especially with the rubber bumper ends fitted.
Cheers
Al
Post #958118 13th Jul 2022 8:48am
hank

Wales 2007 Defender 110 Puma 2.4 DCPU Stornoway Grey
Here you go

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 > 110 XS Double Cab
Post #958131 13th Jul 2022 9:58am
Gasket

Hi both.

Thanks for your replies.

Hank - those pics are perfect thank you. Once I've redrawn the brackets do you think you'd be able to confirm a couple of dimensions for me?

Bundy - you've solved the mystery! I printed out a quick-n-dirty version of the bracket last night and, while I expected a few dimensions to be a little out, the dumb iron mounting hole was miles away. I assumed the Winchmax drawing was wrong, but no - it'll be the aircon factor. Surprising how much one of the genuine bumpers would stick out if I put it on my non-aircon car.

All in all (aside from the neat cutout which I missed), the prototype bracket isn't far from the mark. I'm also really impressed about how substantial it is - and tied directly back to the chassis. I'd feel very comfortable using these for a recovery and think they'll look ace.

They're going to be incredibly easy to make - I have a plasma cutter so I'll most likely just print out a template and trace the outlines and weld'er'up.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
Post #958136 13th Jul 2022 10:41am
Gasket

PS @Hank, looking closely at your photos I think its confirmed what I had hoped, that the wide bit where your shackle goes is actually made of three layers of steel laminated together. i.e. it isn't a piece of 20mm thick flat bar that has been milled down. Phew! that would have been game over.
Post #958137 13th Jul 2022 10:47am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1